Announcing The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Dec 13, 2010
Jack Douglas said:
Viggo said:
I read Andy's review of the 1dx and others when it was new, and they said the same thing then, lol. How many times can you increase the hit rate to 95-100%?

Canon also say in their white paper why the old one didn't work and why this new one is superior, I'm not buying it anymore.

Others may have different needs, but in cave light situations and my kids bouncing off the walls, I still manage to have everything in focus with correct exposure using off center points, all I need. And the 1dx beat the 1d4 in this regard big time, so much so that it's not a point for me to upgrade when there is a big difference in price.

Talking about a predecessor it is possible to improve. Of course the numbers being used are exaggerated, perhaps each new model might exceed the last by maybe 10-20%. How often haven't I said "oh this is 10 times better"! Just a figure of speech ;) A pinch of salt is needed.

Some of the enthusiastic exaggeration derives from the apparently remarkable DPAF and video I think.

Jack

Exactly ! So when he claims is THAT much better than the predecessor, I know where the salt is. Which means the improvement in this case isn't worth it. It's fun to read though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Ditto us 1DS MkIII owners, missing just one upgrade cycle means a massive upgrade in capabilities. In an ideal world I'd have liked a few more MP, but there is more than enough good stuff to keep me happy with the 1DX MkII.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Actual user experience reviews are more reliable anyway and that is what ultimately affects a company's reputation. No offense to DPR or what not, they're just doing their job of reporting what they see (the specs), and Canon specs never really look that impressive to begin with.

Nikon tend to embellish a bit don't they, I mean come on 3million ISO? Give us a break!

I really hope that 'just reporting specs' isn't what you actually think we do. Much the opposite. ISO 3 million didn't move us like it did some others; in fact, I didn't even mention it in my D5/D500 piece. ISO performance isn't defined by your upper ISO limit; it's dependent on sensor size, efficiency, and upstream read noise.

We try to prioritize reporting things that lead to marked improvements for actual photography, typically based on our tests and understanding. That's why we emphasized the RGB metering sensor resolution increase - because we know it works wonders for subject tracking in Nikons. That's why we emphasized the 80D's dual-pixel AF implementation - because it's the first time we're seeing the real potential for DPAF due to its implementation in Servo (not just for bursts, but more generally for moving subjects). That's why we reported on and showed the new Sigma adapter's ability to offer all AF-C modes on the a7R II with Sigma lenses - something not only everyone missed, but Sigma themselves didn't even claim. I.e. we try to dig deeper beyond simply spec.

We could do better though, and we'll constantly try. This year we'll try our best to shoot as many real-world side-by-sides for these pro-level cameras as possible. Particularly sports, and use-cases emulating wedding/event photography, hopefully.

To answer unfocused question: we haven't had a chance to try automated fine tune yet. My understanding from talking to Nikon, though, is that you can just set the camera somewhere (it has to be still) in Live View, and let it do its thing. Meaning you should be able to fine tune on-the-spot wherever you are. This is important, as I've seen the optimal value change sometimes based on lighting, temperature, phase of the moon, alignment of the stars... OK kidding on the last two :)

There's another thing we'd ideally test - how robust AF modules of different cameras are. I have a feeling some cameras vary less from day-to-day, and I particularly notice this because I shoot fast primes often. I have a hunch that Canon's long baseline F2.8 center points are phenomenal for a DSLR, e.g., and I'm looking into a way of showing this and comparing it vs. other bodies/lenses (it's lens dependent, it appears). It'd be interesting to get an idea of precision of all AF points in a particular body/lens combo, then compare to others. It's extremely cumbersome though.

Anyway, it's a great year for cameras - owners of every brand have a lot to look forward to.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Rishi, those are lofty objectives. I hope you succeed and I trust your integrity. It just occurred to me that some folk, I'll use my wife who is ESL Hispanic as an example, simply do not fully appreciate the nuances of the English language and the subtle differences there can be in the way something is stated. Just a thought since the criticism directed your way was based on subtleties.

Your job, relative to criticism from the various brand loyal shooters is not an easy one; it's one that requires a thick skin! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Viggo said:
Jack Douglas said:
A D5 vs 1DX II video you may not have seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGNeWr0bpdE

Jack

Thanks for sharing! I don't understand the difference in exposure though, makes it harder to judge.

Yea, might be some Nikon auto-exposure setting? And it says they are using 24-70mm. It doesn't say 24-70 II, so that's bit biased comparison if they really are using such old outdated lens with the 1DX2.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tpatana said:
Jack Douglas said:
The worrisome part is that this appears to show Nikon with better DR! Oh dear. ;)

Jack

Not too worried yet. It's also channel endorsing Nikon. I'd much rather take some neutral review until I jump the ship and order 3x D5.

Of course, I agree.

Jack

Upvote 0