Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If I were you, I'd wait for the first reliable R 6II sensor reviews. There might be a surprise.
I think I posted something like that in the announcement thread.
I am sure the sensor isn‘t just old tech but modern design.
But the pricing still makes me gasp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think I posted something like that in the announcement thread.
I am sure the sensor isn‘t just old tech but modern design.
But the pricing still makes me gasp.
It's amazing value. It's a professional level camera. The 5DMkiii and 5DMkiv were both launched at USD3499. The R6 Mkii is far superior and far more versatile than either, and is an absolute bargain at USD2599. I'm extremely tempted to get one as a backup to my R5 - the only thing that stops me is that the R5 will probably get an upgrade next year, so I'm hanging in for that instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Don't you ever touch the touch-bar, even if I'm its only user!:mad: (also :p).
Some liked it but most apparently did not. The touch bar was one of Canon's regular experiments with ergonomics. I'm in two minds about Canon's "experimentation" policy. I can't think of a single Canon DSLR or MILC that has bad ergonomics, but they are striving for the perfect control layout.

Things get moved around on every successive model. Most models have some experimental control (R touch bar, 1Dxiii AF control nipple, R5 mode dial, R6ii power switch etc etc) and the merry-go-round never stops.

For people with only one camera it's fine because after a few days they'll adapt to the new controls. But for people with two or more cameras, who switch back and forth between them, the "muscle memory" delay in finding the control in the "right" place can cause lost shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about Firmware updates for the R5, we definitely need the AF improvements of the R6II

Not sure if this is possible given the R5 has older hardware. It may be able to add a few of the new shiny AF things, but this is Canon. They will save it for a refreshed camera.

R5 firmware to remove 30 minute record for f*cks sake, every other R camera has it.

The R6 has the limit, as does the R & RP.
As much as I'd like the limit gone, I don't see it happening. Expect the R5 II to not have a limit.

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2013
I would like to see an RF 50 1.4 to replace the dinosaur EF 50 1.4 without being L and reasonably priced while taking advantage of the newer IS and optics.

Always brings a chuckle when I read its review by Lens Rentals' owner:

"There is an old urban legend, that when NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. NASA scientists spent $2 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 degrees Celsius. The Russians used a pencil.

This is the pencil of 50mm lenses. You can spend a lot more and get something cool and fancy. This just does the job efficiently and at a good price. Small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s nice to carry around “just in case I need a wide aperture.” This one’s a very nice lens at a bargain price. The AF motor is a bit buzzy and not the quickest or most accurate, though."

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's amazing value. It's a professional level camera. The 5DMkii and 5DMkiv were both launched at USD3499. The R6 Mkii is far superior and far more versatile than either, and is an absolute bargain at USD2599. I'm extremely tempted to get one as a backup to my R5 - the only thing that stops me is that the R5 will probably get an upgrade next year, so I'm hanging in for that instead.
If it had 30mp I'd be all over it. I got my R at release and the R6 mkII is a bargain, comparatively. It would be difficult for me to give up the megapixels. My composition skills (lack of) necessitate I have plenty of cropping room. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For people with only one camera it's fine because after a few days they'll adapt to the new controls. But for people with two or more cameras, who switch back and forth between them, the "muscle memory" delay in finding the control in the "right" place can cause lost shots.
Yup. Not just lost shots. Trying to switch between an R and Oly turned me into a tongues speaking Pentecostal.

Canon only from now on. ;)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If it had 30mp I'd be all over it. I got my R at release and the R6 mkII is a bargain, comparatively. It would be difficult for me to give up the megapixels. My composition skills (lack of) necessitate I have plenty of cropping room. :)
Let me tell you a story. A few years ago I upgraded from a 22MP 5DMkiii to a 50MP 5DS, and immediately fell in love with the ability to shoot with a shorter lighter lens, or from further back, and then crop. But I found the slow burst speed a hindrance for some of my photography, so I added a 30MP 5DMkiv expressly for burst shooting. Funny thing was that the 5DS hardly got used afterwards, I enjoyed using the 5DMkiv more, and just adapted to shooting a bit closer and composing more carefully.

Then the R5 was released and I had the best of both worlds - fast burst shooting and a great 45MP sensor. But in my heart I know that if I took a bit more care, I could easily get away with 24MP, so I'm very tempted by the R6 Mkii, which in several regards is a significant upgrade over the R5. When the "R5 Mkii" or "R5s" is eventually announced, I've got no doubt that the MP will shoot up to around 90MP, but that means I'll need a more powerful computer and a lot more storage. Which is why I very much hope that Canon will also provide the option to shoot uncropped 45MP and 22MP flies, as well as 90MP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon needs to move on from these last couple of mediocre firmware updates and roll out their stacked sensors as they have already announced. Canon and Sony both. Nikon has already proven with its Z9 3.0 release with over 20 additional functions added in one firmware update alone that Sony, Canon, and Fuji with the exception of the R3 and H2s are simply milking the obsolete hardware with 15 minute copy and paste firmware. And that's not an exageration. How do many Canon users know? Well for one it was once done by third party programers like myself and others via the storage card itself with Canon's DSLRs. A project known as "Magic Latern".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not sure if this is possible given the R5 has older hardware. It may be able to add a few of the new shiny AF things, but this is Canon. They will save it for a refreshed camera.

The R6 has the limit, as does the R & RP.
As much as I'd like the limit gone, I don't see it happening. Expect the R5 II to not have a limit.
I think we'll have to wait until the end of 2023 for a R5 Mkii announcement. It wouldn't surprise me if it had some kind of active cooling system. I agree about the hardware issue - the AF improvements and things like 40fps, "moving subject HDR" and AF improvements found in the R6ii are apparently due to new hardware. There may be a couple more firmware updates for the R5, but I don't think there will be any more added features or capabilities - just bug fixes and very minor tweaks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
…with the exception of the R3 and H2s are simply milking the obsolete hardware
You claimed that the obsolete hardware they’re using was significantly more expensive to fabricate. Why would they milk something that cuts into their profit margin?

Are you finally ready to back up your claim with evidence, or instead simply admit you were wrong?

I suspect you will do neither, and instead, just ignore the issue. I trust you realize that makes it very easy for everyone else to write off any technical comments you might make as not credible. But perhaps even that simple logic is beyond you.

Upvote 0
My guesses for lenses would be:

Canon releases eight lenses:
- RF 35mm F1.2
- one TS-R lense
- super wide angle zoom 10-24mmm
- and four RF-s lenses (three primes, one wide angle zoom)
- one surprise consumer lense.

Although I'd love F1.4 primes, I guess they are not as important as other lenses because you do have plenty of options (F1.8/ F1.2 and EF).

Camera-wise I'd expect a R100, R8 (R successor) and R5s.

I expect the R1 to get a development announcement in Q4/ 2023 so it is released in time for summer olympics 2024. Alongside with it, I'd guess for the RF 300mm and 500mm.

Please note: just wild guesses from a canon fanboy :)

Upvote 0