Any idea for new 85mm f/1.2

I anticipated the release of the EF 35/1.4L II was imminent on the basis of a $150 rebate that was offered on the EF 35/1.4L that was relatively large in comparison to the rebate on other fast-aperture EF L primes. At the time, I also predicted that an EF 35/1.4L II would have improved correction of chromatic aberration and coma.

When the EF 35/1.4L II was actually released, it was Canon's first lens showcasing their Blue Refractive optical technology. I see the EF 85/1.2L II as being the logical choice for the next lens to receive an update using this technology.

Consequently, I would expect that when Canon is ready to release an EF 85/1.2L III, it will have the following significant improvements:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Reduced secondary spectrum (axial chromatic aberration)
[*]Reduced comatic aberrations
[*]Lighter weight
[*]Weather sealing at the flange
[*]Possible redesign to be internal focusing
[*]Mechanical manual focus as opposed to focus-by-wire
[*]Improved AF speed
[/list]

Because a number of these improvements are not purely optical in nature (but are inevitably influenced by the choice of optical formula), an update to the 85L design is likely to be more radical and much more challenging to achieve than to the 35L. As a result, I think Canon is going to take its time to update this lens. However, when they do, I expect that the existing design will be given much the same treatment as the 35L: it will see a rebate around $150-200 at a time when other lenses like the 50L will be given only $50. This might be the signal that Canon is looking to clear out existing stock in preparation for an update. But there is no way to tell when that will happen.

Upvote 0
rs said:
PA_phoxerballzz said:
There are currently no rumors for the 85 1.2 III. Another CR member may know otherwise.

http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-85l-is-on-the-way-cr2/
http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-ef-85mm-f1-2l-iii-and-others/
http://www.canonrumors.com/patents-new-50mm-85mm-135mm-lenses/

The last link is particularly interesting, because in retrospect, after Canon's announcement of BR element technology for the 35/1.4L II, that last bullet point in the patent from 2011 (filing date!) now actually means something. Canon was working on using BR tech and actually hinted at it for at least four years before putting it into production.

It also gives us a hint that Canon intends to put BR to use in more lenses, because that patent doesn't mention a 35mm focal length.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
chromophore said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Reduced secondary spectrum (axial chromatic aberration)
[*]Reduced comatic aberrations
[*]Lighter weight
[*]Weather sealing at the flange
[*]Possible redesign to be internal focusing
[*]Mechanical manual focus as opposed to focus-by-wire
[*]Improved AF speed
[/list]

I absolutely love my 85L II. Amazing lens, amazing rendering and it has something magical about it which my newer design L's lack. Optically, BR would be about the only change I would wish for. However, some of its physical attributes - minimal weather sealing, focus by wire, slow AF, low magnification and lens hood attached to the focus ring won't be missed by me.

Upvote 0
My guess is we won't see it for another few years sadly since it is a fairly new lens. Canon seems to space out their lenses around 17-25 years HOWEVER we recently have seen Canon do things that don't follow their past record. I hope they jump on the mass production consumer bandwagon since many people upgrade their cameras, iphones, post processing software weekly it seems. ok yearly... but Canon could jump on that as well and people will come up with the money I think. "If you build it they will... blow all their cash" ;D
Canon seems to take around 15-20 years to release new version of L primes and around 20-25 years for non L primes. Quick Ex.
35mm 1.4L released in 1998 and update ii in 2015, 17 years later.
50mm 1.0L released in 1989 and update 1.2L in 2007, 18 years later.
85mm 1.2L released in 1989 and update ii in 2006, 17 years later.

35mm f2 released in 1990 and update ii IS in 2012, 22 years later.
28mm 2.8 released in 1987 and update ii IS in 2012, 25 years later.

1989 and 2006-7 were great years if you were rich and buying up expensive lenses ;D
Maybe 2015-17 will continue though? ;)
Lets hope!
Canon Feeeeeeeed us! ;D 8)
What I need is faster AF and no more flybywire focus for running brides! BR would be nice but I'm scared it will take a damper on the bokeh like the new 35mm did a tiny bit. Still it replaced my MKi 35mm hands down just becasue of the CA improvement. But I don't find the 85ii that bad for CA so I don't want them to tamper with the optics. Just the focus...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I find the AF has always been very accurate, but use it with a 1-series and the AF speed increases quite a bit. I would LOVE to see it updated with weather sealing and the BR-element and of course improved AF, but suspect it's 10 years out ::)

Shot wide open, 80 shots, three runs, less than 9 shots oof. And he's fast!
a334.jpg

Upvote 0
Really wish Craig would allow for more promiment tags on the CR articles so we can keep track on specific rumor history whether it be a body, lens, deals/sales and other things.

Also this thread is better located at http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

These are older L lenses than the 85 that has yet to be updated.

1993 EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
1996 EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
1996 EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
1996 EF 135mm f/2L USM
1997 EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
1995 EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
1999 EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
kaihp said:
Viggo said:
Shot wide open, 80 shots, three runs, less than 9 shots oof. And he's fast!
Of course he's fast - he's Superman!

How do I come to think of a Warthog going BRRT when you do 80 shots with that 1Dx ;D

Haha! Well worth sending it back four times to get it properly calibrated. It's unbelievably accurate.

Upvote 0