Any photographers out there own a motorcycle?

A

azraelot

I'm a photojournalist and I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle. I'm basically wondering if anyone else is in the same position and knows the ups and downsides of being a photographer and using a motorcycle to get around.

I'm hearing things from all over the spectrum, with some folks saying that lugging a helmet around precludes shooting. Didn't know if certain bikes let you store your helmet in/on them. Thoughts, anyone?

Aug 11, 2010
pretty sure the OP is not talking about filming while riding, he's talking about the ease of shooting when you are wearing your riding gear.

I own a camera and a ninja and I'm definitely an ATGATT kind of guy. if you're a serious rider you should have no problem working your helmet on and off when you've stopped to get photos; get a helmet clip so you can hang it off your handlebars or off the rear rack/pegs.

the bigger issue is protecting your equipment. if I were to be on assignment and taking my camera gear, I'd only take what fits into a backpack so that it's strapped to my back all the time. I wouldn't trust any case I've seen to keep my gear from being stolen while it sits on the back of a bike. moreover, it's just further added incentive for someone to come along and lift both your motorcycle AND your photo gear and put it on their flatbed and drive off into the sunset.

definitely doable and can be fun; I think it can work if you're a PJ type shooter. I'd hate to try and get my tripods and stuff locked in for nature photography on my motorcycle.

Upvote 0
S

Sime

I selected my Honda Elite scooter with photography in mind. Under the seat there is a large storage compartment that locks securely. With the helmet inside there is still room for the Lowepro Toploader 75 AW containing 5D II grip and lens and flash. Of course when you are wearing the helmet then there is room for three or four additional lens in cases. With all your gear filling the compartment there is another feature designed to secure two helmets using the the chin straps. If you get a normal motorcycle without underseat storage it is still easy to add a trunk for storage. The main idea is access. Photography is also portable. You can go anywhere and parking easy. Adding another ZOOM for your photojournalism is a great idea!

Upvote 0
A

azraelot

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the feedback!

@Kubelik, thanks for clarifying my post; that was helpful :p

kubelik said:
the bigger issue is protecting your equipment. if I were to be on assignment and taking my camera gear, I'd only take what fits into a backpack so that it's strapped to my back all the time. I wouldn't trust any case I've seen to keep my gear from being stolen while it sits on the back of a bike. moreover, it's just further added incentive for someone to come along and lift both your motorcycle AND your photo gear and put it on their flatbed and drive off into the sunset.

Are you saying you put your camera gear into a backpack and wear that when you ride, or are you strapping the bag to the bike?

prestonpalmer said:
The only real downside is weather. When shooting from a car you can throw all your gear in a seat, uncovered between locations. On a bike you need to zip it all up nice and tight in a backpack before going between locations.

I keep my stuff in a LowePro backpack when I ride, no problems so far.

Does LowePro have waterproof backpacks?

Sime said:
I selected my Honda Elite scooter with photography in mind.

Cool stuff. Sounds like it's pretty roomy. However, I think I'd want the option to go across states if possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but scooters aren't good for highways, right?

Upvote 0
M

macfly

Honestly they are not that advisable as a mode of transport in American cities where people are not used to and don't see motorcycles. I have ridden and raced bikes since I was a kid in the UK, but honestly as much as I love them the standard of driving here is so poor that they really are best used for pleasure away from traffic, and not as a method of transport

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Honestly they are not that advisable as a mode of transport in American cities where people are not used to and don't see motorcycles

My only experience is that when I was a photographer for a small newspaper I shot more than my share of motorcycle accidents. Cured me of any desire to have one.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Azraelot, I personally keep it in a backpack actually on my back, because I know I am going to keep it on my back when I walk away from the bike. I don't trust leaving stuff on my bike if I have to walk away, especially not in urban environments.

Mac and unfocused, motorcycle riding is certainly more risky than driving a car but not as much more as people think. It's also the 20% who practice risky riding behavior that are responsible for 80% of the accidents (at least). Wearing all the gear all the time, taking your MSF course, riding based on the things you learn during the MSF, paying attention to your own mental status before you ride, all make a huge difference and keep people alive.

Also a big help is not wearing a black leather jacket just because it looks cool. Reflective gear and LED flashers keep people alive.

I've ridden a lot around and in washington DC which is pretty far up there in terms of lousy/agressive/insane drivers and I've found that if you handle yourself like a normal vehicle (no lane-splitting or tight cuts, use your lights) then almost all drivers treat you like a normal vehicle too.

Safe riding to all the bikers out there

Upvote 0
D

dlbell

I've been riding for 40 yrs., a photographer for 30 yrs., college photography teacher for 15, and written/photographed for several MC mags for 12yrs. Trips have taken me from Arizona to NC, Wisconsin to Texas and every place in between and I've had a lot of fun doing it. No close calls, riding-wise, so far.

I almost always ride with a helmet - open face with safety shades, no shield. Often with D series or G-10 around my neck, both for stopping and shooting (with helmet on if it's just a grab shot, or to shoot while riding). If I've been shooting for a while off the bike, I may ride down the road a bit with the helmet clipped on. Generally, not too far sans helmet.

My Honda PC 800 has internal storage space and I strap a box trunk - from a BEEMER I once had - on the passenger seat, and my Lowpro camera bag on top of that (2 bodies, 3 lenses, flash, etc.). I generally work out of the bag still on the bike if I'm not too far from it.

Tripod or monopod goes behind the passenger back rest. You've got to have a tripod of some size, because you'll often need to do a self-portrait ride-by shot, and you'll want to include an evening/nighttime shot or two.

Important items and things I only need at my evening stop get locked, laptop, etc. Stuff they can have if they want it bad enough to take it stay in the unlocked box. Camera bag always goes with me if I'm away. If it starts pouring down, I put the Lowpro in the waterproof truck.

They are correct in that you have to pack carefully. On longer trips, plan to wash some, or extend normal wearing.

One of the magazines I freelance for is RoadBike. It has a great article for riders who want to shoot/write for them, and what they look for. Also, some great tips on doing it right. It's the April issue.

The weight of all that gear takes its toll on rear tires, though. Oh, well. A price that must be paid.

Hope this helps. Have fun. Take a look at my website if you like - www.cruisetheozarks.com (haven't updated it over the winter but it might be of interest.

Pictures attached: Self-portrait w/G-10 around 4-Corners; Shot w/ G-10 on bike around Taos; Packed bike at Farmington, NM, Lowepro strapped on top of trunk.

Attachments

• SP Four-Corners2376.jpg
    SP Four-Corners2376.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Taos 2351.jpg
    Taos 2351.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Farmington 9673.jpg
    Farmington 9673.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,071
Upvote 0
S

Stuie

I run around on a KTM 565 (a bored 525 EXC which is actually 510 c.c.) with a 1 1/2 lb lighter crank so this bike is extremely zippy and light (about 260 lbs.). I still race off road with a KTM 300 and carry a Canon T2i/18-135 combo to catch the action shots. These are on 2 hour cross country races. On the 565 I carry my Canon 1D4/28-300 IS in a tank bag on top of the gas tank. It survives slamming over rock ledges and endless sand washes in Utah as well as jeep trails in CO. Around town I just carry the T2i in a Lowpro bag.

If you are worried about safety just ride a KTM with an Akrapovic racing exhaust. It gives a menacingly low growl that is noticed but not objectionable. I just don't have problems. I do wear all the gear all the time to protect myself just in case. However, with the 565 I can get out of anyone's way in a huge hurry if they are on a cell phone and they "accidentally" pull into my lane, just as one example.

Upvote 0