Any rumour about a R6 with 30 Megapixel ?

Hello,

did you hear any rumour about:
A) that "R" might get the ability for animal eye detection/auto-focusing by firmware upgrade ?
B) that Canon plans for an upgrades / refined R6 with 30 Megapixel ?

Does it make sense to wait for a refined/upgraded R6 with 30 Megapixel ?

Rationale behind my questions:
1. I am especially interested into the R6 because of the new feature eye-detection / auto-focusing of animals.
2. According to the relatively high price of the R6
- around €2700 for the body and
- €700 higher compared to the "R" which has 30 Megapixel
I am a bit disappointed, that the R6 only offers 20 Megapixel resolution.

Why I would prefer the "R6" / Option B) over the "R":
- quicker electronic, according to information in reviews better focusing in low light situations
- the joystick, some people commented, that it can be in the way and that you issue a function "by accident"

Many thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Have you checked out the latest rumored Roadmap yet?

There is camera below the R6 mentioned, which I suspect would have more than 20 MP. At least in APS-C territories, we've seen Canon offer 24 MP across the entire budget spectrum. I think the R6 is a kind of outlier caused by Canon's love for recycling sensors and lack of other production ready next gen (90D/M6 II, 1DX III, R5) FF sensors at the time.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The R5 is basically a R6 with 30MP and a few firmware and hardware tweaks. Eventually, the price will drop and in 3 or 4 years you can get one for $2500.

45MP, in fact. It also has the top LCD and a CFE card slot rather than a second SD. Both of those are useless to me, but I wanted more than 20MP, so I got the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0