Anyone here been to Punta Cana?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, yet another travel light but get all my potential focal lengths and apertures which I might want thread.

I will be at an all inclusive but will venture out a few times. (Probably use the 40 for those trips)This is strictly for holiday with a lot of drinking/sun/family/water laziness etc.

I'm taking a 5D3 and an S95, but haven't made up my mind on lenses. I am thinking small hotel safe, light packing, focal length needs, my styles. Hate this. lol, I'll be packing in an Incase sling fwiw.

Here are my two ideas for a small bag:

1. Heavier- 5D3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake
I'd have a walk around for day, prime for low light and a tiny semi normal lens (discreet and light) for excursions.

2. Lighter- 5D3 + 40 Pancake and 100L Macro
Primes aren't as versatile but these are super light lenses as most here know. I'd lose my UWA but I like the 40's perspective and colors. We all know how awesome the 100L is for flowers and family.

Anyone who has been to Bavaro beach? What did you find you used the most?

TIA

Pieces Of E said:
Leave the cameras at home and enjoy the sights, the drinking, sun, beach and most of all, family.

this!

If you were going to Europe, I'd say bring some gear!
I've been to mexico 5-6 times, and punta cana 3 times. You don't need your gear here.

if you need pics of:
-eating and drinking a lot
-sleeping
-swimming
-relaxing
... bring your iphone or your s95.

the risk-reward?

risk:
-the airport security thinks you are there to earn money OR they just want to mess with you, and they take your gear. not likely, but if it happens, it would suck.
-you get car jacked and your stuff is taken. not likely.
-someone at the hotel happens to see you with your gear, and somehow manages to get the universal code for your room's safe.
-you annoy your family/friends b/c you're worried about your gear, when you should be relaxing and partying.
-you get sand in your gear.
-no reason to bring your gear into the real "towny" areas. that is just stupid. people have guns and knives there. the police are corrupt. there is nothing you can do, if your stuff gets stolen.

reward:
-you get two "keeper" images of your group, in f16 daylight, for your facebook wall (which you could get, with your iphone or S95). oh, almost forgot the macro of an iguana.

yes, stuff can get stolen anywhere. in your town, in philly, nyc, chicago, lax, cleveland, wherever. but the police usually try to help you, in those areas. in punta cana, i'm not so sure.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You guys are great and obviously have your priorities in order.

1. Family
2. Security
3. Beer
4. Photography

2 and 3 are interchangeable

I think I'll do a mountain of flip flopping on this topic in the next couple weeks. I like the idea of no gear worries, weight and care. The S95 and the SX40 aren't bad cameras and may just be the ticket to mas Presidente and a glorious tan.

Upvote 0