Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
In the above comparison I was shooting Manual with the same settings 1/80, f8, ISO 5000, and used my typical default LR settings on the 1Dx file and 'copied/pasted' the same settings to the 1Dx II file. Didn't have my tripod at work, but tried (unsuccessfully) to frame the same shot. Not sure if exposure differences are the result of the newer metering, or LR CC's algorithims, but the sliders/settings were all the same. I'll do similar side-side c/w these bodies tomorrow at a volleyball match and post some 'action, high ISO shots' for those on the fence about upgrading.

Upvote 0
African wild dog shot with a (beta) 1DX Mark 2. This image is shot with the EF 500L f4 IS ii, shutter speed 1/1600sec at f5.0, iso 4000. Cropped to frame from 20mp to 15mp, converted and processed in ACR, and downsized for web to 2000 pixels on the long side. In processing I just used the Adjust Brush to add warmth, some clarity, some shadow lift and highlight downtone, to the animals body only. The background is untouched, and I would have been expecting to have noise show there with my other cameras...

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Sandibe_M1_1470_0451.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Sandibe_M1_1470_0451.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Grant Atkinson said:
African wild dog shot with a (beta) 1DX Mark 2. This image is shot with the EF 500L f4 IS ii, shutter speed 1/1600sec at f5.0, iso 4000. Cropped to frame from 20mp to 15mp, converted and processed in ACR, and downsized for web to 2000 pixels on the long side. In processing I just used the Adjust Brush to add warmth, some clarity, some shadow lift and highlight downtone, to the animals body only. The background is untouched, and I would have been expecting to have noise show there with my other cameras...

Very nice picture. I really like the result.

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Crapking said:
Can't believe I get to start THIS thread...

Here is a direct comparison between 1Dx and 1Dx II with same camera and LR settings. Good to know that LR CC recognized the .CR2 files immediately today !

Thanks for sharing, noticeable differences and very sharp (as i'd expect). Anyone played with the fact it does more than centre focus at f8 ? Thats one of my main reasons for upgrading. Also how has the autofocus been improved upon, what did or could they do to improve it ?

Cant wait to try mine in couple of weeks.

thanks

Upvote 0
Here in Sydney we are having the Vivid festival of light. This involves lighting the city with all sorts of interesting lighting effects - the best part being the images projected on the sails of the Opera House.

Canon Australia are a major sponsor and organise events, workshops etc - one of which is a helicopter flight over the city. For this they provide a 1dx2 and 35mm L f1.4, with a gyro stabiliser mounted on it to cut the vibrations. The helicopter doors are removed and you get to hang out the side at 1500 feet snapping away with the stabilised 1dx2.

Cold and windy, but great fun! I went on this on Saturday night and got some great shots of the city - sample attached.

The flight was run by Sydney HeliTours who did a pretty good job - so if you're in Sydney and want to do something different....give them a call.

I wonder if Canon do this sort of thing in other markets?

Attachments

• vivid.jpg
    vivid.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 491
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Khristo said:
Here in Sydney we are having the Vivid festival of light. This involves lighting the city with all sorts of interesting lighting effects - the best part being the images projected on the sails of the Opera House.

Canon Australia are a major sponsor and organise events, workshops etc - one of which is a helicopter flight over the city. For this they provide a 1dx2 and 35mm L f1.4, with a gyro stabiliser mounted on it to cut the vibrations. The helicopter doors are removed and you get to hang out the side at 1500 feet snapping away with the stabilised 1dx2.

Cold and windy, but great fun! I went on this on Saturday night and got some great shots of the city - sample attached.

The flight was run by Sydney HeliTours who did a pretty good job - so if you're in Sydney and want to do something different....give them a call.

Nice picture! Sounds like a fun time.......

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Khristo said:

Beautiful shot, Khristo.

Upvote 0
Crapking said:
Can't believe I get to start THIS thread...

Here is a direct comparison between 1Dx and 1Dx II with same camera and LR settings. Good to know that LR CC recognized the .CR2 files immediately today !

16DX1288.jpg by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

1D2X0003.jpg by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

My first thought is that they fixed the 1/2 stop underexposed issue with the 1dx. Otherwise, the photos look similar to me.
Crapking, how is the AF in fast action compared to the 1dx?
North

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Northstar said:
My first thought is that they fixed the 1/2 stop underexposed issue with the 1dx. Otherwise, the photos look similar to me.

Yesterday, I managed to exchange my 2pcs 1Dx against 1Dx mkII and some €. Today during the lunch, I tried a few shots over here. As I normally use 1/3 to 2/3 stop of EC on the 1Dx, this seems to much on the 1Dx mkII. So from now on, I will start with 0 EC.

Just AFMA and testing those babies and customizing/preparing them for my visit to Costa Rica in September. I will show some photos afterwards here on CR.

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
Northstar said:

Yesterday, I managed to exchange my 2pcs 1Dx against 1Dx mkII and some €. Today during the lunch, I tried a few shots over here. As I normally use 1/3 to 2/3 stop of EC on the 1Dx, this seems to much on the 1Dx mkII. So from now on, I will start with 0 EC.

Just AFMA and testing those babies and customizing/preparing them for my visit to Costa Rica in September. I will show some photos afterwards here on CR.

Looking forward to seeing some Costa Rica photos!

Upvote 0