Appeal of Nikon Df

What do you think of the Df

• Total voters

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
J.R. said:
Unlocking and turning one of 7 dials for every change I want to make ... I think I'll pass - not interested.
Yes, it's an interesting exercies for nostalgic people... but camera UI and ergonomics made huge steps forward since the '70s (especially thanks to the Canon Ts, and electronics). Althogh I still use my A-1 sometimes (it's so small and light, compared to actual cameras!), I would not buy a DSLR resembling it. Maybe I would like to be able to use some of my FD lenses, but I wouldn't care about the camera body look.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Mines #2.

This camera could have hit the bullseye but; no interchangeable screens for 'real' manual focus, plastic construction ( with an alloy top plate), unnecessarily 'retro', outdated control placement, far too higher price for a plastic camera and to cap it all - your computer will make a realistic film rewinding noise when you download images !

I mean the FM, FE and even th F3 ( without motordrive ) never had power rewind !

OK so you can disable this 'function' but it says a lot about who Nikon are aiming the camera at ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
bholliman said:
I answered #4

I owned a Nikon FM2 back in the 90's and kinda like the retro look of the DF, but for a working camera, I'll take my 6D any day. I'm not trying to impress anybody with the look of my photography equipment.

I know what you saying. But I will be honest and tell you that every time I buy a new camera or lens I like to look at it, feel it. Should I be ashamed of myself? :) Am I too much of a child?
When I get a new car I do take it for a drive with friends to the ice cream shop. Am I a bigger child for doing that.

When I buy a new lens I move the focus/zoom ring, see the writing on it, see the contacts, even look through the lens without mounting it on the camera. I guess I am hopeless....

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Sporgon said:
Mines #2.

This camera could have hit the bullseye but; no interchangeable screens for 'real' manual focus, plastic construction ( with an alloy top plate), unnecessarily 'retro', outdated control placement, far too higher price for a plastic camera and to cap it all - your computer will make a realistic film rewinding noise when you download images !

I mean the FM, FE and even th F3 ( without motordrive ) never had power rewind !

OK so you can disable this 'function' but it says a lot about who Nikon are aiming the camera at ;)

Really??? I did not know that. Sounds hilarious.
And is it plastic? It looks so solid!

Upvote 0