Are Two EOS M cameras coming in 2020? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have had multiple reports over the last few months that Canon plans to announce two new EOS M cameras in 2020. Recently I was given a bit of information about the two models. Unfortunately, I have been unable to confirm this information with a source I’d consider above [CR1], so please treat this information accordingly.
Canon EOS M7
The new flagship of the EOS M lineup. Yes, it goes against Canon’s normal nomenclature, but the “7” means a lot to the Canon lineup. So take what you want from the number “7”.
This camera will reportedly have the same 32mp sensor as the Canon EOS M6 Mark II, as well as IBIS, Dual Card slots, and “all the bells and whistles”.
The camera is scheduled to be announced in Q4 of 2020, but consider announcement dates a moving target in the current global environment.
I was also told that Canon will announce a “higher-end” EF-M lens for this release.
Canon EOS M50 Mark II
Later in Q4 of 2020, Canon will reportedly announce the EOS M50 Mark II...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
as a hybrid shooter, “all the bells and whistles” hopefully includes DPAF2 and 10bit 422 clog video.
However they still need more and better lenses for me to take the M line seriously
same AF system as R5 and R6 which seems to pick up eyes of insects which is a seriously good improvement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2020
I don't think the 32mm gets enough credit for how good it is, I'm always amazed that a lens that size can take the images it does. If they release an 85mm that's just as good I'll die a happy man. Sigma already did a pretty good job with their 56mm so I'd rather Canon focus their efforts on the focal ranges that have been least represented so far on the M system.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Portrait lens, please. And a 56mm isn't a portrait lens, even though it has "85mm equivalency". I'm talking a 70 or 80mm lens at least.
Wild guess: Higher quality M-mount lenses will come from Sigma, a byproduct of their introduction of an APS-C L-mount camera and the lenses to go with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
"The biggest question? Will it have IBIS?"

Naaah, the biggest question is: Will it have OverHeating issues?

It really depends. If any camera manufacturer tries to build a stills ergonomics camera and cram 8K video into a weather sealed body., then it probably will overheat.

If Canon sticks to the design philosophy of the M series, then it definitely won't.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
It really depends. If any camera manufacturer tries to build a stills ergonomics camera and cram 8K video into a weather sealed body., then it probably will overheat.

If Canon sticks to the design philosophy of the M series, then it definitely won't.
This camera will reportedly have the same 32mp sensor as the Canon EOS M6 Mark II, as well as IBIS, Dual Card slots, and “all the bells and whistles”.

Same sensor as 90D/M6 mk II so no 8K and neither of those two overheat.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
I'm debating about switching to Fuji right now from the M system. I currently have 4-M5's and over 20 lenses I use with them. This camera, M7, if it is as currently rumored, would be the only thing that might stop me. Dual slot is a must for me for my next camera. But there is still the problem with lenses. Yes, the 32mm 1.4 is one of the secrets of the Canon world, but it is still mainly a plastic lens. Will it hold up over the years? I would definitely add the Sigma 16 & 56, which I already want. But sadly, I still see the EOS M line being dropped when the EF line is discontinued unless Canon introduces some kind of a speedbooster converter to allow RF lenses to be used on the EF-M bodies. I've used Canon for over 40 years, but my needs have changed and Fuji seems to be the better fit right now. October was when I was planning on the switch, so let's see what you got Canon!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If they stick to the 32MP APS-C sensor, it will have line-skipped 4K or 1.25x crop oversampled mode 4k30p only that they have in the 90D as well.

So it probably won't have overheating issues, but that IBIS won't be paired with great video features, which is a shame.

With the technology already present in the R5 they could easily make a 17MP APS-C sensor with 4k60p internal 10-bit 4:2:2 and advanced AF - but I guess they basically have the full-frame R6 to fill in that gap.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
We will see if my predictions have been correct: A 7DII replacement at the top of the M line.

This retains the clear distinction between APS-C and full frame in their mirrorless lineup. This won't be a video focused camera if it has the "7" designation. I would expect it will carry over the R5 autofocus refinements. Maybe even improve on them slightly if they follow the 7 series tradition.

What the new lens might be is a good question. In my opinion, they really need two new lenses. A 15-85 similar to the EF-S version and a long telephoto zoom -- either 400 or preferably a 150-500 f5.6 (one can dream).

• Haha
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Portrait lens, please. And a 56mm isn't a portrait lens, even though it has "85mm equivalency". I'm talking a 70 or 80mm lens at least.
Please explain why you don't believe it's a portrait lens. I can share an image shot with a 85mm at f/2 on a full frame camera next to the sigma 56mm shot at f/1.4 on the M6 Mark II and you won't be able to tell the difference at all....as a matter of fact, I'll do it this afternoon if I get time.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Give me everything EOS M!!!

I shoot with the 1DX Mark II and EOS R, now the R5. The M-series are absolutely beautiful and powerful cameras that stay true to the "mirrorless is smaller" concept. I now use the M6 Mark II as my main video camera and primary stills camera for many of the odd jobs I do that don't require the benefits of full-frame.

Offering an all-out M5 Mark II or M6 would be excellent for my travel and even work. Right now the lack of weather sealing is a problem...Canon could easily release a sealed body and new zoom lens to fix this. Give us a fixed f/2.8 or f/2 zoom that trades a bit of that compact size for "pro" benefits.

It would also be nice to see them drop the price of the EF to EOS-M adaptor to the price of the EF-RF adaptor...why it's $50 more is beyond me. Drop the price to $75-100 and release a $150-175 version with weather sealing so we can adapt sealed lenses properly. Heck, even put in a true Canon glass focal reducer in there too!

Seriously, though...I'm using the M6 Mark II for some high end professional work because I can. I just shot a national magazine cover with it this past weekend...I used it to shoot a drag race...an indoor party...the winner's circle...shots in the pits...video around the track...you name it! All with a single card slot, hotshoe EVF and a lens mount that has poor zoom options! Haha

The M is my APS-C of choice because when I don't want to lug around a 1DXII with full-frame lenses, this keeps me light and more nimble. My back hurts significantly less after an event since I introduced them to my bag.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
M7 or M5 Mark II, its just a name :). I guess Canon feels it's more then just an evolutionary successor to the M5, but why not call it the M1 then (like the 1DX)? And yes, I know there was already an original M(1).

Regardless, I can't wait to see what Canon has in store for the M system, including that newly rumored "higher-end" EF-M lens!

Upvote 0