Are Two EOS M cameras coming in 2020? [CR1]

I'm debating about switching to Fuji right now from the M system. I currently have 4-M5's and over 20 lenses I use with them. This camera, M7, if it is as currently rumored, would be the only thing that might stop me. Dual slot is a must for me for my next camera. But there is still the problem with lenses. Yes, the 32mm 1.4 is one of the secrets of the Canon world, but it is still mainly a plastic lens. Will it hold up over the years? I would definitely add the Sigma 16 & 56, which I already want. But sadly, I still see the EOS M line being dropped when the EF line is discontinued unless Canon introduces some kind of a speedbooster converter to allow RF lenses to be used on the EF-M bodies. I've used Canon for over 40 years, but my needs have changed and Fuji seems to be the better fit right now. October was when I was planning on the switch, so let's see what you got Canon!

I will buy the top end M camera even if just to use it permanently with the 32 f/1.4
Bonus: I have the 11-22 and 22 f/2. And with a portrait prime, I could do just about anything. Although I'd like them to put out a 200mm prime

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

peconicgp

R6, R8, M6mkII
Oct 18, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Oh man, I am really excited about this. I initially bought an original M6 just as kind of a play around compact camera because I got it on sale for less than $300. I also got the 22mm Pancake to make it like my "Canon" version of the Fuji XT100 series. I ended up liking it so much that I bought the M6 mkII and that has been a wonderful camera. I have a 5d MK IV and honestly, I keep finding myself using the m6 mkII for so many things. The sigma primes along with the Canon 32 mm make for a wonderful little kit that really covers a lot of bases with excellent image quality. There is a ton of potential in the M series. Canon has moved slowly but the M6mk II is incredibly capable for the price

I think Canon must have seen the success of the Fuji X series of cameras and realize that their sensor is every bit as good or better and they really have the chance to gain some market share. I imagine that the M line appeals to new photogs who don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars for full-frame cameras and lenses as well as experienced photogs looking for a smaller kit in personal/travel situations.

With a new updated "vlogging camera" M50 II, a new "M7" on par with a Fuji XT4 along with a few more high-quality M lenses Canon could absolutely transform the M series, I really hope Canon pursues this.

For the "M7" give me:

WEATHER SEALING!! I take my M6 II with my fly fishing but don't take it out in the rain and miss shots I would love to have. I would take improved weather sealing over improved (from M6 II) video features all day.

IBIS. At this point, just about every camera should have this given the available tech.

Autofocus on the level of the new R5/R6. I can't imagine there is any benefit to Canon to try to limit the focus capabilities of an M line camera as there is no direct upgrade path to the R series. Let the top of the line M series be the best it can be.

I think it goes without saying but a viewfinder should be there as well and it seems that articulating screens just work for more things that the tilty ones but I like them both for different reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

peconicgp

R6, R8, M6mkII
Oct 18, 2017
Connecticut, USA
We need a RF to EF-M adaptor as well. Some guys who have the RF lens may want to use on it on a smaller camera as well, like EF and EF-S system
RF lenses are not compatible with the M mount. You can use EF and EF-S lenses because they were designed for DSLR so the gap for the mirror in a DSLR can be replicated with the gap in the adapter.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
RF lenses are not compatible with the M mount. You can use EF and EF-S lenses because they were designed for DSLR so the gap for the mirror in a DSLR can be replicated with the gap in the adapter.
This keeps getting said but what about an adapter with a glass element, like a speedbooster?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
This keeps getting said but what about an adapter with a glass element, like a speedbooster?

Not going to happen because existing EF-M mount cameras can't talk the RF protocols. They'd need to produce a new mount (RF-M?) that was capable of taking adapted RF lenses and existing EF-M lenses. But I can't see there being a big enough market for this to make it worthwhile.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2019
Oh man, I am really excited about this. I initially bought an original M6 just as kind of a play around compact camera because I got it on sale for less than $300. I also got the 22mm Pancake to make it like my "Canon" version of the Fuji XT100 series. I ended up liking it so much that I bought the M6 mkII and that has been a wonderful camera. I have a 5d MK IV and honestly, I keep finding myself using the m6 mkII for so many things. The sigma primes along with the Canon 32 mm make for a wonderful little kit that really covers a lot of bases with excellent image quality. There is a ton of potential in the M series. Canon has moved slowly but the M6mk II is incredibly capable for the price

I think Canon must have seen the success of the Fuji X series of cameras and realize that their sensor is every bit as good or better and they really have the chance to gain some market share. I imagine that the M line appeals to new photogs who don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars for full-frame cameras and lenses as well as experienced photogs looking for a smaller kit in personal/travel situations.

With a new updated "vlogging camera" M50 II, a new "M7" on par with a Fuji XT4 along with a few more high-quality M lenses Canon could absolutely transform the M series, I really hope Canon pursues this.

For the "M7" give me:

WEATHER SEALING!! I take my M6 II with my fly fishing but don't take it out in the rain and miss shots I would love to have. I would take improved weather sealing over improved (from M6 II) video features all day.

IBIS. At this point, just about every camera should have this given the available tech.

Autofocus on the level of the new R5/R6. I can't imagine there is any benefit to Canon to try to limit the focus capabilities of an M line camera as there is no direct upgrade path to the R series. Let the top of the line M series be the best it can be.

I think it goes without saying but a viewfinder should be there as well and it seems that articulating screens just work for more things that the tilty ones but I like them both for different reasons.
Agreed what will make the M seizes stand out would be IBIS, then there won’t be a need for heavy glass with IS, the attraction of the M system is portability.
add a 54mm 1.4 no IS, an 10m prime, 18mm prime and a 10-18f4, 15-45mmf4 no is and this would be a great travel,blogging, street photography, journalist system. As well as enthusiast or mom.
two card slots maybe useful but not a necessity for all.
weather sealing is also a must.
Stellar autofocus would will give canon the edge.
This will not compete with the R system as full frame systems most give better image quality and will continue to be king of the hill.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Not going to happen because existing EF-M mount cameras can't talk the RF protocols. They'd need to produce a new mount (RF-M?) that was capable of taking adapted RF lenses and existing EF-M lenses. But I can't see there being a big enough market for this to make it worthwhile.
This really just takes a chip in the speedbooster, which I believe is already what many if not most have. Translating protocols isn't that big a deal although it raises the cost of the device.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The M6 Mark II is already pretty great. Just make a version with EVF, some weather sealing and a bit sharper and more detailed 4K video.
And some AF improvements from the R5/R6.

Also we really need a better standard zoom for the M mount. Maybe a 15-60 F4 or F2.8- 4, weather sealed and sharp. And no plastic mount.

I wonder if Canon could make an RF-M adaptor with lens elements.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020

Due to recent events, to which I vowed to myself to not speak of again... Ha

“all the bells and whistles” is the kinda statement that gets them in trouble... Because now I actually want a bell attached to my camera lololol

Ps for the dummies out there, I am aware it's not an official statement, please understand what a jest is! Lol

Upvote 0
We need a RF to EF-M adaptor as well. Some guys who have the RF lens may want to use on it on a smaller camera as well, like EF and EF-S system

Logically speaking, if Canon is going to improve the M series even more by putting in IBIS and dual slot cards (and weather sealing?) thus opening up the M series to a much larger user group, it would follow that they would likely release more quality lenses and also probably break their own 61mm rule. If Canon also selects and adapts some of the R lens designs that better fits with the small M bodies, the M line would be really excellent.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Logically speaking, if Canon is going to improve the M series even more by putting in IBIS and dual slot cards (and weather sealing?) thus opening up the M series to a much larger user group, it would follow that they would likely release more quality lenses and also probably break their own 61mm rule. If Canon also selects and adapts some of the R lens designs that better fits with the small M bodies, the M line would be really excellent.

Is this 61mm rule official? I really hope they break it and release some bigger lenses.

Upvote 0