Are we still getting an EOS R Mk II in 2020?

Are we still getting an EOS R Mk II or is Canon just going to release a higher resolution EOS R6 in the future? I watched a couple R6 video reviews- the lower megapixel count and soft 1080p 120 fps video are disappointing, yet I'm not sure I want to spend more for the R5. An EOS R Mk II slotting between the R5 and R6 would make a lot of sense.

Would love to get a 30MP RII with no 8k, 4k 120/60/30/24 with no crop, IBIS, 12 fps shooting, which seems to fit in with CR's RII rumor in January.

CanonRumors EOS RII specs

Jump to 11:41 here to see soft 1080p 120fps test on the R6:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
In 2020?

Seeing as how it's August (can't believe that the summer is almost gone) and there is supposedly a mirrorless crop-body out there somewhere and we're still bathing in the afterglow of two amazing camera releases and a whole stack of new lenses my guess would be no.

Someday? Probably. I'm not smart enough to know.

As for the video, as soon as I saw the man-bun I had to bail.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Are we still getting an EOS R Mk II or is Canon just going to release a higher resolution EOS R6 in the future? I watched a couple R6 video reviews- the lower megapixel count and soft 1080p 120 fps video are disappointing, yet I'm not sure I want to spend more for the R5. An EOS R Mk II slotting between the R5 and R6 would make a lot of sense.

Would love to get a 30MP RII with no 8k, 4k 120/60/30/24 with no crop, IBIS, 12 fps shooting, which seems to fit in with CR's RII rumor in January.

CanonRumors EOS RII specs

Jump to 11:41 here to see soft 1080p 120fps test on the R6:

I would have found the R5 to hit the sweet spot with a 30-35 MP sensor, myself; but I'd rather do overkill than underkill if those are my only two choices (and if I can stretch my finances). The R just didn't do it for me in features (and the touchbar...ugh). If forced to go with underkill, I would actually have bought an RP--at least it's dirt cheap, still has sllightly more resolution than my Rebel (at least total over the sensor; certainly not in pixel density), which is more than can be said for the R6, and no touchbar. [I have an RP + 24-105 L on order from the refurb site now, I effectively got the RP for $400.]

My completely uneducated guess is that if there was ever any truth to the rumor, all bets are off due to COVID and the huge demand for the R5 (and possible need for a fix) and I could see the R mark II being pushed into early next year. I could also see it not getting a new mark number but rather an entirely new name more in keeping with the nomenclature (though there's no space between "5" and "6"). It's also possible the R5 IS the camera referenced in the rumor, especially since the R had, basically, the old 5D sensor in it.

Lacking an R-II I'd try hard to make that stretch and get the R5,; it seems like a MUCH better system and the R6 overheating may be worse, to boot, but then--I already did, so that's not news to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would have found the R5 to hit the sweet spot with a 30-35 MP sensor, myself; but I'd rather do overkill than underkill if those are my only two choices (and if I can stretch my finances). The R just didn't do it for me in features (and the touchbar...ugh). If forced to go with underkill, I would actually have bought an RP--at least it's dirt cheap, still has sllightly more resolution than my Rebel (at least total over the sensor; certainly not in pixel density), which is more than can be said for the R6, and no touchbar. [I have an RP + 24-105 L on order from the refurb site now, I effectively got the RP for $400.]

My completely uneducated guess is that if there was ever any truth to the rumor, all bets are off due to COVID and the huge demand for the R5 (and possible need for a fix) and I could see the R mark II being pushed into early next year. I could also see it not getting a new mark number but rather an entirely new name more in keeping with the nomenclature (though there's no space between "5" and "6"). It's also possible the R5 IS the camera referenced in the rumor, especially since the R had, basically, the old 5D sensor in it.

Lacking an R-II I'd try hard to make that stretch and get the R5,; it seems like a MUCH better system and the R6 overheating may be worse, to boot, but then--I already did, so that's not news to you.

R5.5? :) If R5 shipments are delayed, then any potential RII will get pushed to 2021 or later. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the R5. Still waiting to see real world battery life numbers before purchasing.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
(and the touchbar...ugh)

I still don't get why people hate the touchbar so much.

I use it to change my focal fields and it works great. With touch and drag on the back screen I don't see why everyone is wrapped around the joystick so much anymore.

But that's what makes life fun. If we were all the same we'd be pretty boring.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
R5.5? :) If R5 shipments are delayed, then any potential RII will get pushed to 2021 or later. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the R5. Still waiting to see real world battery life numbers before purchasing.

Lots of battery life reports around - most seem decent if not good IMO.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I still don't get why people hate the touchbar so much.

I use it to change my focal fields and it works great. With touch and drag on the back screen I don't see why everyone is wrapped around the joystick so much anymore.

But that's what makes life fun. If we were all the same we'd be pretty boring.
In all honesty, joystick is a lot better, since I can move my focus point even when I am not using the EVF and the screen is flipped out. I can imagine it can do beautiful focus fulls in video.

Yes, there is face-tracking AF, but it is not nearly as predictable as single-point AF, and sometimes I also like to have the levelling gauge on.

The funniest thing is that the only camera where I had joystick was the 5D Mark 1, where it was basically useless. now there is a camera with a flip-screen, where it would be extremely helpful, and it is not there because it is under that price level.

I do not foresee any type of R upgrade.
It is a lower-level camera, a cheaper entry to the R system with a heavily discounted price, so it is simpler and uses older technology, although it was priced higher before, so it still has a high-quality screen and EVF at a lower price.
If you want newer technology like IBIS, faster processor or dual card slots or practical things like that joystick, you can choose between the R5 or R6 depending on the budget or needs. They will keep selling these models and as time goes by, they will get cheaper and more accessible to people.

The line-up is almost complete now, they can expand it with a megapixel monster and an APS-C sensor camera.

The R1 can wait until the next generation of (stacked) sensors arrive, so it can really be the true new flagship.
They won't re-use the 1DX III sensor yet again, which actually seems a bit older technology than what's in the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't see a slot where the R fits pricewise. It was $2200 originally, very close to the R6. I expect a RP replacement, I wonder if it will get a new name, like R9

I see at least two price slots for a possible R replacement/update. The RP is $1,000 and the R6 is $2,500. That leaves a lot of room. Or, it could be slotted between the R6 and the R5, where there is a $1,400 difference. It all depends on what Canon wants to do with the R and whether or not they see a market for another mirrorless body. Right now, the R sits in a pretty sweet spot as it's official price is $1,800.

That said, I don't see that Canon in any hurry to update the R. It's still a very good camera and they can sell it at a very attractive price as is. For stills photographers who are not into sports or wildlife it's a great bargain. Less so if you shoot video and want IBIS or if you want to shoot action.

I would not be surprised to see Canon drop the price in November for the holidays. Especially if the R5 and R6 are still in short supply.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
After watching more review videos that suggested the large 45MP sensor of the R5 is contributing to overheating, I think an EOS R MkII with a 30MP sensor would make a lot of sense. Plus it would help capture the middle ground pricing (~$3k) between the R6 and R5. Make it happen Canon!

I don't know about that being the issue except indirectly (more data=more heat), but something in the 32MP realm would be an ideal middle ground. 45 MP was more than I felt I needed, but 20 was much less, so I went overkill rather than underkill.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Are we still getting an EOS R Mk II
What do you mean by "still getting" "in 2020"? The model is less than 2 years old, it wasn't supposed to be updated in 2020.

And frankly, given the current situation with preorders of R5, Canon should not announce a yet another FF stills-oriented camera in 2020.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "still getting" "in 2020"? The model is less than 2 years old, it wasn't supposed to be updated in 2020.

And frankly, given the current situation with preorders of R5, Canon should not announce a yet another FF stills-oriented camera in 2020.

The Canon Rumors article that I linked in the original post stated that an EOS R Mk II would be coming in 2020. And CR was told on more than one occasion that this would be happening. Last rumor posting was January 2020.

Upvote 0
I very much like my EOS R but concede it's not a camera for action photography, it's the reason I've kept my 6D MKII as well.

As much as I'd like the R5, it is a big jump in price but I don't want the R6 as 20MP seems a step down for the 30MP EOS R.

An EOS R MKII with the R6/R5 focusing ability and 2 card slots or indeed an R6 MKII with 30mp would be my ideal camera but I doubt Canon will produce either anytime soon.

Upvote 0