As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

Many many years ago, a friend of mine encountered a significant technological change in photography. When I first started to do some photography for pay, I was using Canon equipment, but most sports photographers of that time were using Nikon equipment. Very few Big Whites in view at major events.

This friend was an owner of a company that engaged in sports photography all over the world and indeed, were the official photographers of the Olympic Games. He used Nikon equipment.

When Canon changed its lens mount system to allow for electronic contacts for autofocus, Nikon didn’t follow. Instead they reiterated their position to maintain lens compatibility with all bodies.

While photographing the World Championships of Track and Field, my friend, being an owner of the company, had field access. His employees in attendance only had access to the perimeter of the field.

Although on more than one occasion he had been named World Sports Photographer of the Year, he freely observed that his employees were obtaining better images than he, even though he had better access to events. All such employees were using Canon equipment. Subsequently he approached Canon and they generously agreed to swap out all his Nikon equipment for comparable Canon equipment. No charge. And now we see that the Big Whites dominate numerically at such events.

The moral of the story is that if a system change results in improved photos, then it is good and should be successful. It is not clear to me that the Canon “R” system will result in better images. Fewer moving parts should result in improved durability. (It is disconcerting to have a mechanical failure such as I did while on a paid shoot when my EOS-1D’s shutter failed (after only 40k images). Luckily I had a backup. My current workhorse, a 7D II has at least 200k exposures and clearly is much more durable than the older model.) Silent electronic “shutter” will help me obtain photos more easily for some subjects. Don’t care about flash any more. The main issue for me is lens evolution and lens compatibility. Most of my photography investment is in lenses, not bodies. I wish to make wise investments and to do so, need Canon (et al) to divulge its expected evolution. The lenses mentioned in this thread don’t tickle my fancy enough for a move to the “R” system.

(And, as an aside, I recall watching not many years ago, a photographer with a film Hasslebad on a tripod and a lens about 3-feet-long attached to it aiming at a Northern Hawk Owl. Nice to know it's still possible to take images while focusing manually, exposing manually, stabilizing with a tripod and using film. Easy to become spoiled with tech.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Many many years ago, a friend of mine encountered a significant technological change in photography. When I first started to do some photography for pay, I was using Canon equipment, but most sports photographers of that time were using Nikon equipment. Very few Big Whites in view at major events.

This friend was an owner of a company that engaged in sports photography all over the world and indeed, were the official photographers of the Olympic Games. He used Nikon equipment.

When Canon changed its lens mount system to allow for electronic contacts for autofocus, Nikon didn’t follow. Instead they reiterated their position to maintain lens compatibility with all bodies.

While photographing the World Championships of Track and Field, my friend, being an owner of the company, had field access. His employees in attendance only had access to the perimeter of the field.

Although on more than one occasion he had been named World Sports Photographer of the Year, he freely observed that his employees were obtaining better images than he, even though he had better access to events. All such employees were using Canon equipment. Subsequently he approached Canon and they generously agreed to swap out all his Nikon equipment for comparable Canon equipment. No charge. And now we see that the Big Whites dominate numerically at such events.

The moral of the story is that if a system change results in improved photos, then it is good and should be successful. It is not clear to me that the Canon “R” system will result in better images. Fewer moving parts should result in improved durability. (It is disconcerting to have a mechanical failure such as I did while on a paid shoot when my EOS-1D’s shutter failed (after only 40k images). Luckily I had a backup. My current workhorse, a 7D II has at least 200k exposures and clearly is much more durable than the older model.) Silent electronic “shutter” will help me obtain photos more easily for some subjects. Don’t care about flash any more. The main issue for me is lens evolution and lens compatibility. Most of my photography investment is in lenses, not bodies. I wish to make wise investments and to do so, need Canon (et al) to divulge its expected evolution. The lenses mentioned in this thread don’t tickle my fancy enough for a move to the “R” system.

(And, as an aside, I recall watching not many years ago, a photographer with a film Hasslebad on a tripod and a lens about 3-feet-long attached to it aiming at a Northern Hawk Owl. Nice to know it's still possible to take images while focusing manually, exposing manually, stabilizing with a tripod and using film. Easy to become spoiled with tech.)
Was the owl flying? I’d be really impressed if he could have taken a sharp shot of that.

Upvote 0
Mike
You were not rubbishing the Sony RX10IV, it was bhf3737 who let loose a diatribe against it, and I was objecting to that. These other cameras do fill a genuine lacuna and we should appreciate that. I just wish canon would do a better job at bridge cameras. I bought the G3 X and it just didn't cut it for me whereas the Sony works remarkably well.
With respect, I reported my personal experience with the Sony RX10IV and it was not a pleasant one at all. Someone like yourself may have a different experience. Unlike some reviews, I don't expect the others use only one data point to decide upon usability of any camera from any manufacturer. I use both Canon and Fuji (as a lighter travel kit) and have no bitter experience with either so far.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The EOS R is already a commercial success. But the idea that Canon will stop releasing lenses for cameras that comprise the majority of the ILC market is ludicrous.

Why is it ludicrous?

They will continue to manufacture lenses for the EF mount for as long as there is demand, I'm sure. But do they need to invest in new designs? Why would they bother now? I'm sure every Canon DSLR owner who wants to buy EF lenses already has a wish list of existing lenses that's far greater than they can realistically afford. Canon won't stop selling EF lenses to us if they stop launching new ones.

Upvote 0
Was the owl flying? I’d be really impressed if he could have taken a sharp shot of that.

Funnily enough, when I first got into bird photography I was usually manually focusing, because I tended to mount one (or even two!) extender(s) and this was before the 5D3 allowed autofocus at f/8 (and before then I was using a 50D). It *is* possible to get in-focus birds in flight focusing manually - handheld even - but of course the keeper rate is abysmal. It rather boggles my mind now, but thankfully I worked on my fieldcraft, went to better locations (and changed my expectations) and haven't felt the need to do it in years.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why is it ludicrous?

They will continue to manufacture lenses for the EF mount for as long as there is demand, I'm sure. But do they need to invest in new designs? Why would they bother now? I'm sure every Canon DSLR owner who wants to buy EF lenses already has a wish list of existing lenses that's far greater than they can realistically afford. Canon won't stop selling EF lenses to us if they stop launching new ones.
>60% of ILC market. Profit. They're going to continue releasing new DSLRs and lenses for them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
With respect, I reported my personal experience with the Sony RX10IV and it was not a pleasant one at all. Someone like yourself may have a different experience. Unlike some reviews, I don't expect the others use only one data point to decide upon usability of any camera from any manufacturer. I use both Canon and Fuji (as a lighter travel kit) and have no bitter experience with either so far.

Fair enough, you shouldn't rely on just one review or one user. I thoroughly researched before testing and buying myself.
I started with this one as it gives a good account, and actually measures the MTFs of the lens at different focal lengths:

“Overall the lens is an excellent performer, better than one with a bright design and 25x zoom power has any right to be.”
https://uk.pcmag.com/digital-cameras/93797/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv

Then I read:
“But it's here now, and it's safe to say right up front that my experiences with this powerful -- if also rather pricey -- shooter have continued to be superb! “
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10-iv/sony-rx10-ivA.HTM

And went on to further:
“For those looking for a powerful all-in-one solution, the RX10 IV is the best camera out there. It comes at a price, but there's nothing else quite like it.”
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-iv

“Let’s get straight to it. The Sony Cyber-shot RX10 IV is a bridge camera (super-zoom) in a league of its own. These all-in-one cameras are designed to cover just about every eventuality and we have not come across one before that does the job so effectively.”
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_rx10_iv_review

“Sony's RX10 Mark IV is the best all-in-one camera you can buy”
https://www.digitaltrends.com/digital-camera-reviews/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-iv-review/

“a highly capable camera that gets enough right to warrant a gold award and our recommendation.”
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv

“Sony Cyber-shot RX10 IV: Best all-in-one you can buy right now”
https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-iv-review/2

“World's Best Super Zoom Camera”
https://kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iv.htm

And KR gave a lot of tips on the settings as did https://www.wimarys.com/sony-rx10-iv-settings-tips-tricks/
After learning from these reviews how to use it, I am very happy with the results.

Just remembered, you had problems with AF of birds flying towards you. Cameralabs found it worked very well for such movement https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-mark-iv-review/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
wouldn't it be better to fix the complaints people had with the eos r camera and come out wit a new improved mark 2, instead of bringing out a tonne of lenses to attatch to a product that still doesn't match up to a sony a7iii.[/QUOTE

Sorry, but, apart from silly spec-sheets, I see it the other way.
Your opinion is your opinion only, don't sell it as a universal truth! In points that matter to me (lenses, sensor protection, ergonomics, color rendition), the EOS R is far superior to the A7 III. But again, this is MY opinion, nothing else.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You'd hope if an 'entry-level' (probably still very expensive) EOS R is coming this year that some reasonably priced, smaller f1.8 primes would also be coming. Who knows. It's a bit odd there's no news on a pro level EOS R considering the lenses mentioned (and those already available) are of top quality pro L grade. Looks like Canon want to release the 'workhorse' lenses first. I guess they're trying to entice the pro DSLR user over. They'd better get releasing a more professional EOS R if they want that to happen.

I guess the truth is that it cant all be done/released at the same time. But the fact that different people are clamoring for different things shows that we are all generally excited about the possibilities of the new system and mount. Me, I'm just really curious to see what the 'lower end' of the market looks like. I want to know what the smaller, slightly slower primes are like. Will the new system benefit those? I think so. People aren't talking about that.

Upvote 0
Your old posts were crazy but at least had novelty value. This is just the same old conventional 'the sky is falling and Canon needs to act fast' nonsense we've heard here for years. Why *now* is this line true, when every previous time it turned out not to be?

---

I would say ONE REASON might be that I have a COMBINED video/stills DCI 8K 8192 x 4320 pixel camera running 50 megapixels stills and 60 fps DCI 8k all 4:4:4 at 16-bits per channel (64-bits RGB/YCbCr RGB colour + Alpha or Distance channel) and 240 fps DCI 4K (4096x2160) + 960 fps (2K 2048x1080) video on a 56mm high-sensitivity CMOS image sensor sitting on my desk running one of the most advanced audio/video/stills codecs EVER created! It uses a high end combined CPU/GPU as it's processor which utterly embarrasses the Canon DIGIC and Qualcomm Snapdragon 845/855 in terms of compute performance!

This NEW camera makes the Nikon D5, Canon 1Dx2, Phase One, Hasselblad, Canon C700, Sony Venice and Arri Alexa-65 cameras LOOK LIKE TOYS ... AND it's at a price point that will pretty much make everyone DROOL with desire !!! Other Cameras simply don't have 32-bits per channels Analog to DIgital sampling with ultra-quality resample downto 16-bits per RGB + A-or-D channel NOR do they have specialty Audio and Metadata channels SAVED FOR EVERY VIDEO FRAME or STILL PHOTO DESIGNED for use by auto-catgorization and datamining systems, Computer Artists and VFX technologists. No-one else has the technology THIS camera does! NO-ONE! PERIOD !!!! It's focus is on STILL PHOTO, VIDEO, AUDIO and METADATA quality and quantity making it highly desirable for Prosumer, Professional, Cinema and Scientific/Engineering Imaging markets.

It also has some of the BEST German-designed and Made-in-Germany FAST GLASS lenses ever created at price points that will make Zeiss/Arri and Lieca turn purple with shock and/or rage! Even Canon's lens library is now at risk of being surpassed by SUPERIOR QUALITY (and Sharpness corner-to-corner!) at a Stunning Price-per-Performance Ratio.

YUP! I think I just might have a teensy, tiny, bit better insight as to what's coming down the pipeline than you do !!!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0