August 2023 CIPA: Asia dominates

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Following CIPA data for the last 3 years has been akin to watching a train wreck at 240 fps. But it appears as if the train has finally stopped – at least for now. The industry as a whole seems to be reaching a steady state, with overall ILC (interchangeable lens cameras) shipments up to

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Camera designs will be optimized for Asian countries simply because the demand for them is higher there. I don't know exactly what features attract Asian buyers, camera size? Color? Laws governing wi-fi may also cause customization.
size and weight would be the first things that cross my mind, and more colors.. maybe even another hello kitty camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
During the winter, I spent some time in Japan and Thailand. I noticed more than a few Chinese tourists using selfie sticks and tripods with their smartphones. Could there be some smart phone with a larger sensor capable of having a larger lens attach to it and would that explain the rumor about Canon working with a phone company?

Upvote 0
During the winter, I spent some time in Japan and Thailand. I noticed more than a few Chinese tourists using selfie sticks and tripods with their smartphones. Could there be some smart phone with a larger sensor capable of having a larger lens attach to it and would that explain the rumor about Canon working with a phone company?
Nice. I've been here in Thailand for the last 3 or so years. Where did you go?

Upvote 0
Following CIPA data for the last 3 years has been akin to watching a train wreck at 240 fps.
Last 3 year?

vFYRnCM.png

vSZ4ENu.png

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Nice. I've been here in Thailand for the last 3 or so years. Where did you go?
Nan, Prachuap Kiri Khan, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, I stayed mostly in Nonthaburi and took some day trips to Bangkok for typical tourist things of visiting museums and cultural destinations. I'll make a post if you want to see the better photos.

Upvote 0
Nan, Prachuap Kiri Khan, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, I stayed mostly in Nonthaburi and took some day trips to Bangkok for typical tourist things of visiting museums and cultural destinations. I'll make a post if you want to see the better photos.
oh awesome!

Upvote 0
Those graphs show a significant fall off from 2019 to 2020 that has not recovered.
I do see your point though.
Comes across that for every 1,000 persons on Earth there is 1 who buys a mirrorless body annually.

While for every 8 person on Earth there are 5 active Android or iPhone users.

9 of 10 smartphone user upgrades their smartphone by year 5 of ownership.

Smartphones killed off point & shoots, consumer dSLR & prosumer dSLR.

Higher-end the camera the less likely it gets impacted.

Leica for example flourished. FujiFilm was brilliant by not entering the crowded full frame mounts and instead provided needed competition for the medium format.

If I had kids who may not be into school sports I'd likely get FujiFilm GFX.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
TH has some of the cheaepest cameras within South East Asia.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
TH has some of the cheaepest cameras within South East Asia.

Thanks, I didn't know. You're in Philippines?

Upvote 0