Autumn 2021

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Another walk on the canal trail, this time a frosty 25F morning.
I assume burdocks under the frost, but I didn't ask the critter hanging on it.
IMG_4092 copy.jpg

IMG_4111 copy.jpg

Crystalline Clover
IMG_4127 copy.jpg

If a leaf got a tattoo.
IMG_4117 copy.jpg

IMG_4132 copy.jpg

Maple leaf bowl
IMG_4138 copy.jpg

IMG_4147 copy.jpg

IMG_4150 copy.jpg

This leaf proves the old saying, "Ridges freeze first".View attachment 201378IMG_4162 copy.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
View attachment 201226View attachment 201227View attachment 201228View attachment 201229

I feel like these could have been better, but I'm not sure how. Any tips?
Some nice shots, certainly. As for tips, my experience trying to shoot fall pictures is that they can be lovely but sort of pointless. You avoid that, but some of them could perhaps be stronger in terms of composition. After shooting a bunch of fall pictures, I find I like about 1 in 10. I usually get a much higher hit rate with other subjects. And then I have some pictures that I doubt anyone else will like. They are certainly not conventional, but they convey what I saw and what I liked about what I saw. Maybe they are “You had to be there” pictures.

Maybe my tip then is to shoot a lot more, refining each time or looking at different aspects of what you like about a scene. Then when you are done, the best of breed will likely please you even more. My 2¢.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Here are two pictures taken from my deck earlier this month. The first is more conventional. It does show fall color, but also I think the composition is fairly decent, made by the color contrasts and the lines of the trunks and branches. The second one is more unusual. I took it from the deck, but looking between houses out toward the street. I like having the moon as well as the red tree that is illuminated by the late afternoon sun. It is probably not going to be popular, but I like it. I shows what I saw and maybe even what I felt at the time.
675fd96a dabf 4c00 9c3f 234b78df9163

5852f248 47a0 af82 d2c60535726f

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Some nice shots, certainly. As for tips, my experience trying to shoot fall pictures is that they can be lovely but sort of pointless. You avoid that, but some of them could perhaps be stronger in terms of composition. After shooting a bunch of fall pictures, I find I like about 1 in 10. I usually get a much higher hit rate with other subjects. And then I have some pictures that I doubt anyone else will like. They are certainly not conventional, but they convey what I saw and what I liked about what I saw. Maybe they are “You had to be there” pictures.

Maybe my tip then is to shoot a lot more, refining each time or looking at different aspects of what you like about a scene. Then when you are done, the best of breed will likely please you even more. My 2¢.
Thanks for the reply and your two pictures!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0