Autumn/Fall 2023

Aug 10, 2021
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Here are two images of Autumn colours in the English Lake District, at Loughrigg Tarn, about 45 minutes after sunrise, that I thought some people might find interesting. The shots are taken on two different cameras, but with the same lens and polarising filter, (with exactly the same degree of polarisation), from the same position, and are taken within a few minutes of each other.
One camera was a 5DS, and the raw file was converted using a "Kodak Portra 800" simulation. The other was taken on a 1n loaded with Kodak Portra 800 film. The lens in each case was a Tamron 45/1.8 and a Hoya polarising filter.
The RNI Portra profile has done a pretty good job of catching some of the film's colour characteristics. The 5DS is 50mp "resolution", the Portra 800 film in 35mm format is probably around 4mp, maybe 6 in terms of just resolution. It is interesting that despite the very low resolution, the colour fidelity and definition of the Portra is very good, reference the fallen Autumn leaves on the left hand bank, where they are lying in shadow, and the film has done a pretty good job of defining their colour, whereas the Bayer Array calculation of the 5DS has lost them to the grass background. Also on a different frame, the film has recorded faithfully the yellow / orange beak of the swan whereas the digital has averaged it to pretty much the background. Incidentally the same result comes from other and "standard' Adobe converters and profiles.
Yes, I know - sacrilege to any 35mm film shooter; I cropped away the top and bottom.
The EOS 1n
Portra800film.jpg

The 5DS
Portra800simulation.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Here are two images of Autumn colours in the English Lake District, at Loughrigg Tarn, about 45 minutes after sunrise, that I thought some people might find interesting. The shots are taken on two different cameras, but with the same lens and polarising filter, (with exactly the same degree of polarisation), from the same position, and are taken within a few minutes of each other.
One camera was a 5DS, and the raw file was converted using a "Kodak Portra 800" simulation. The other was taken on a 1n loaded with Kodak Portra 800 film. The lens in each case was a Tamron 45/1.8 and a Hoya polarising filter.
The RNI Portra profile has done a pretty good job of catching some of the film's colour characteristics. The 5DS is 50mp "resolution", the Portra 800 film in 35mm format is probably around 4mp, maybe 6 in terms of just resolution. It is interesting that despite the very low resolution, the colour fidelity and definition of the Portra is very good, reference the fallen Autumn leaves on the left hand bank, where they are lying in shadow, and the film has done a pretty good job of defining their colour, whereas the Bayer Array calculation of the 5DS has lost them to the grass background. Also on a different frame, the film has recorded faithfully the yellow / orange beak of the swan whereas the digital has averaged it to pretty much the background. Incidentally the same result comes from other and "standard' Adobe converters and profiles.
Yes, I know - sacrilege to any 35mm film shooter; I cropped away the top and bottom.
The EOS 1n
View attachment 213019

The 5DS
View attachment 213018
Beautiful!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Here are two images of Autumn colours in the English Lake District, at Loughrigg Tarn, about 45 minutes after sunrise, that I thought some people might find interesting. ...
It is interesting that despite the very low resolution, the colour fidelity and definition of the Portra is very good, reference the fallen Autumn leaves on the left hand bank, where they are lying in shadow, and the film has done a pretty good job of defining their colour, whereas the Bayer Array calculation of the 5DS has lost them to the grass background. Also on a different frame, the film has recorded faithfully the yellow / orange beak of the swan whereas the digital has averaged it to pretty much the background. ...
Really interesting comparison. Thank you Sporgon.
And still, both are beautiful pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0