Backup camera

It depends on the degree of security you need.
I like to use two bodies in weddings. One with zoom lens and flash, and the other with prime lens.

In your case, is it paid work, where the customer expects it to happen without failures?
Are pictures impossible to repeat in another situation?
Would you avoid changing lens at all times using two bodies at the same time?
Is carrying two bodies viable in the matter of weight and space?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for your reply. a few times a year I'll visit an island for about four weeks. Never had a problem with my gear and now my III didn't work anymore after two weeks. Couldn't make photos for two weeks and I don't want to get in such a situation anyore. Ruined my holiday. Now I've bought the IV, I will use this one most of the times and my plan is to leave the III in the bag (at my holiday address) only as a backup in times of trouble.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
If you're serious about a 'back up' camera, for serious work, then it should ideally be identical to your main camera. But if you're just wanting another camera body, or one that's more suited to different situations, smaller, lighter, or faster etc, then you just get what you fancy.

Upvote 0
Last year when I upgraded from my 5D mark 3 to a 5D mark 4 I was in the same position as you and initially I planned to sell the mark 3. However, it has done over 100,000 clicks, the body is all scratched and the paint is worn away. So, although it works perfectly I probably wouldn't be able to get a good price for it and I decided to keep it as a backup. It comes in very useful as a backup to my main camera, but also there are some situations where I carry both of them. For example at sports events I mount a 400mm telephoto on the 5D mark 4 for when the action is far away from me and a 24-70 zoom on the 5D mark 3 for close ups of the players.
Jack questioned the point of having two bodies of the same type, but I prefer to have two camera that are very similar because I now know instinctively where all the controls are, and the 5D series is the best choice for the type of work I do. A 6D would mean making some compromises, and I find the 1D series too big, heavy and expensive - although I might buy a 1DX one day for my sports photography if I win the lottery.
The other big benefit of having an older camera that is so obviously battered and well used is that it makes it much less attractive to thieves, so I use it when I am going somewhere with a high crime rate. I also have a set of old, inexpensive and worn out lenses that I use for this purpose. I am not saying that I will never be robbed in the street but hopefully it is less of a target than my brand new 5D mark 4. Also if someone does take it, well it is a very old camera that I have had for a long time so it would be less of a loss to me.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I describe myself as an over invested amateur and I would never be without a backup body. I have written the story out in full before, but short version I nearly didn’t take my old 300D on holiday as I had a new 40D, I managed to fit the 300D in and just as well I did as the 40D threw an error 99 early in the holiday.
My view on which camera is, you have a 5DIV, the 5DIII is very similar and you already know your way around it. Selling it for another different body may leave you with some spare change, but it will leave you learning a new body and if it is a much lesser body it could leave you cursing the slow frame rate or the 1/4000th sec max shutter or the smaller buffer when shooting action!
The 300D left me cursing the buffer whilst shooting tigers playing in a pool, and then praising it for just working! ;D
Last thing, you know the history of the your 5DIII, unless you are going to buy new (which seems counterintuitive when you already have a new 5DIV and all you want is a backup) you will not know what kind of hardships the camera may have endured!

Cheers, Graham.

Jack56 said:
Hi all, Last winter, I had some problems with my Mark 5d III. I've bought a new body, Mark 5d IV. The III has been repaired so I've got two good cameras. Is it wise to keep the III as a backup or should I sell the III and buy another backup?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sporgon said:
If you're serious about a 'back up' camera, for serious work, then it should ideally be identical to your main camera. But if you're just wanting another camera body, or one that's more suited to different situations, smaller, lighter, or faster etc, then you just get what you fancy.

I agree. Keeping the 5D III as a backup for the IV is probably the most economical solution. But, it also depends on your intended use. I like having the ability to put a 24-105 on one body and a 70-200 on the other body for shooting events.

The advantage for me of having two bodies is not having to switch lenses as frequently and having essentially the same controls on each body.

However, if you want variety (such as for birding or nature) a crop and full frame body are a good combination.

If you just want a spare body in case one goes bad, then keeping the 5DIII will be cheaper than buying a different body. Of course, keep in mind that the advantages of two bodies are contingent on your willingness to lug both of them around with you, which can be a significant problem on trips, etc.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I think the question you need to ask is: Would I be happy shooting this event using JUST the "backup" body?
If not, this is not a true backup. In my view, a crop sensor camera is not a true backup.

There is a second question, which is rather different to the first: Do I want the "second" body to be the same as the first?
In some cases a crop sensor camera provides the benefit of extra reach. It might also be lighter and less conspicous.

My primary camera is a 5DsR. My "backup" body is a 6D. My "second" body for hiking, macrophotography, family events, etc is an M3. The 6D is okay as a backup but the M3 offers more complementary features to the 5DsR so tends to get much more use as a second camera than the 6D. There is no way I would consider the M3 as a backup for event photography.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
When I travel on a major trip I always have a backup. You can have the primary camera w/ a grip and the backup without one. Then again will you use both or just keep the backup in the bag?

Depending upon our financial position, you might consider a 2nd 5D M4. I find it annoying to have different cameras with different controls.

Upvote 0