Bag Quest V: The One Bag to Rule Them All (on vacation)

ahsanford said:
Thanks. Played the video. I'm not so sure that line -- even the big one in the video -- was intended to dump a 5D3 + 24-70 f/4 into a little drawstring pouch, but I could be wrong. I don't need super thick dividers (I own Kata and GuraGear bags which favor low weight over super protection), but i do need structure in the bag.

- A
I've got a Perception Pro. The bigger pouches can hold a 5Dmk3 or 24-70mm f2.8. Not sure if either a 24-70mm f4 or 16-35mm f4 can fit in the smaller pouches, though. For your needs, I don't think it would be a good fit.

The current version of Lowepro's Fastpack 250 might work.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ninjapeps said:
I've got a Perception Pro. The bigger pouches can hold a 5Dmk3 or 24-70mm f2.8. Not sure if either a 24-70mm f4 or 16-35mm f4 can fit in the smaller pouches, though. For your needs, I don't think it would be a good fit.

The "or" above is the deal-breaker. I often travel with the 24-70 f/4 or 16-35 f/4 attached to the 5D3 body. I never bag up a body without a lens attached unless I'm going on an epic trip and every cubic inch is stuffed with gear. So the photo part of this bag needs to play very well with a 24-70 or 16-35 attached.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
iMagic said:
Have a look at peak design Kickstarter for backpack. If you are in no hurray. I just backed a 30L version but the 20L version looks good too.

Pass on Peak. I've looked at it. Too gadgety, looks a little more 'camera bag' than 'hybrid bag' and its not my aesthetic. Also, those straps look way too tipped on the stylish side than the comfy/padded/breathable side. For overnight trips with two long airport days, I want comfort.

Looks a super cool bag, do not get me wrong -- it's just not for me.

But yes, the 20L is just about right for size. I'm definitely on the 20-24L side of things for size and not 30L+. I do much more US domestic/shorter duration trips than long international trips where more gear might come along. Also, I really want it to fit under a coach seat in US flights.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of Kickstarter:

WNDRD is now making a smaller PRVKE ('provoke') bag: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wandrd/prvke-21-the-best-bag-for-everyday-carry-and-camer

Just about the right size, I was worried the original one would be too big, but this size is A-OK with me. I'm 5'9" and this looks doable for me. Good balance of photo vs. non-photo, and though I'm not in love with a rolltop, it ticks a lot of my other boxes.

Wouldn't get it until after Christmas, though... I'd miss a good 4 trips with it!

- A

P.S. More bag designers need to post pics like below. It's so hard to imagine the real 3D footprint on your back with just L/W/H dimensions. I love simple explainer shots like that.

Attachments

• 97bd82f81dd8607fa8d35e95d1f69550_original.png
    97bd82f81dd8607fa8d35e95d1f69550_original.png
    693.9 KB · Views: 3,871
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
zim said:
My small light fav travel/holiday bag

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/product/brooklyn-sling.html?___SID=U

It's a sling, good access but with a bit of a safety strap when you feel the need.
Extra clothing would be an issue with three lenses though

I own no less than 6 shoulder bags / slings -- they are my #1 most used type of bag. But for travel, it's only good for an afternoon or morning at a time. Asymmetric loading + anything more than a spartan 1-2 lens setup + long days = fail (for me). I need a comfortable two strap setup with a back pad for this need. That's the clear gap in my collection.

- A

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
I think I have the solution for you: a Pacsafe V25

http://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v25-anti-theft-camera-backpack.html.

• Top half is everyday rucksack whilst the bottom half is a padded section for your camera and a couple of lenses and accessories; cross-wise it is just about big enough for my Canon 7D with 70-200 L mounted.
  • There is a quick access panel that opens up from one side around to the front.
  • When not required the padded unit it is easily removable.
  • Should be OK for going under seat.
  • Not sure if the back and straps are breathable enough for you, but you might be able to use the laptop sleeve (which you don't need) to hold a stiffener of some sort to stop the bag slumping against you.
  • Rain cover included.
  • There are no tripod straps, but you might be able to rig something up (perhaps with bottle pouch on the side holding the feet).
  • Safety features are an obvious plus when you are carrying so much expensive gear.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
dave61 said:

• Top half is everyday rucksack whilst the bottom half is a padded section for your camera and a couple of lenses and accessories; cross-wise it is just about big enough for my Canon 7D with 70-200 L mounted.
  • There is a quick access panel that opens up from one side around to the front.
  • Not sure if the back and straps are breathable enough for you, but you might be able to use the laptop sleeve (which you don't need) to hold a stiffener of some sort to stop the bag slumping against you.
  • Rain cover included.
  • There are no tripod straps, but you might be able to rig something up (perhaps with bottle pouch on the side holding the feet).
  • Safety features are an obvious plus when you are carrying so much expensive gear.

This actually made my first larger list of about 10 bags (wasn't sure if I was looking at the V17 or V25). Still looks a bit too foam coffin-like of a tell that it's a camera bag, so it was cut in round 1.

- A

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
ahsanford said:
dave61 said:

• Rain cover included.

This actually made my first larger list of about 10 bags (wasn't sure if I was looking at the V17 or V25). Still looks a bit too foam coffin-like of a tell that it's a camera bag, so it was cut in round 1.

- A
You are setting quite a standard there. To me it looks quite unlike a camera bag. Might be worth a look at one in the flesh.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
dave61 said:
ahsanford said:

- A
You are setting quite a standard there. To me it looks quite unlike a camera bag. Might be worth a look at one in the flesh.

Fair. I ought to just walk into a bigger camera store and get lost in the bag area. I was at B&H in Manhattan earlier this year and only spent 20 minutes speed-browsing the bags. Opportunity lost!

- A

Upvote 0
Have you looked at the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L or the updated version Photo Hatchback BP 250 AW II?

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/photo-hatchback-bp-250-aw-ii-ca

I think this hits most of your pre-requisites. I have the 22L photo hatchback. I have travelled with it for the last 3 years. At first I had T5i with 18-135 attached with the EFs 24 2.8 and 50 1.8 in the pouches. I additionally added the charger, a gps and small camcorder in the other pouches. It all fit nicely and securely. I now travel with a 5Diii, Canon 24-70 4.0, 50 1.8 STM, charger and spare battery. I am hoping to include the 70-300 L and flash soon.

This bag has served me well so far and I have been very pleased with the amount of wear it has. My biggest gripe with the bag is the water bottle side mesh holders. They can snag on rocks and other flora and fauna and rip a little. It's not the bags fault I went through some caves and dense bush but that's only place where the bag has worn. I have never had any issues with air carriers regarding carry on size. I also travel with my iPad but it can fit an 11" netbook of some type.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Still looks a bit too foam coffin-like of a tell that it's a camera bag, so it was cut in round 1.

Ok, new suggestion:

il_fullxfull.297773599.jpg
+
thumbnailimage.aspx

Just poking a little fun at the quest for the perfect bag. ;) That quest is why I have 4 photo backpacks, three Toploaders, two photo belts, and a whole slew of small pouches and cases.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's hard to put to words what looks like a camera bag to me. So let's use pictures. See below.

(Full disclaimer -- this is not an all-bags personal manifesto. This is more about a bag expressly for travel, where I am a little more guarded re: 'open carry' of gear away from the populated tourist areas.)

A = Classic cube-like foam coffin. 100% tell you have expensive equipment in there. Fail. (I own this bag, actually, but I'd only use it at very safe or familiar destinations.)

B = Bougie disastersauce. This bag says "Punch me in the face and take my Leica, but please don't steal the star luggage piece of my travel instagram 'lay out all my gear' photos!" Quadruple fail.

C = A Honda Civic, but this year's new slightly curvier model. A modern streamlined camera bag that lacks the tell-tale cubey-ness, but still looks like it's meant for gear. "I'm not sure it's a camera bag, but there's probably something good in there." Fail (for travel), fine for general use.

D = I might work in an Apple Store. This is the inflection point of doubt with what the bag is for. Could be a school or work bag, just as likely to have a bagged lunch or workout clothes in it, etc. I could own a bag like this but I think there are better options. Mini-fail, but not by much.

E = Something that looks weird / different. Camera is not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing you think when you see that bag. You think -- "Well, someone's either an artist or at least wishes they were." Just as likely would have a skateboard or large collection of hats or a few copies of Architectural Digest inside. Pass. (I am considering this bag presently.)

F = The ultimate sleeper of a camera bag. Stellar misdirection at work here. This is 8000% tickling the part of my brain that smiles when I build a sweet DIY beater of a satchel into a great discreet bag. there may be concerns of robustness / durability, but 'camera bag' is the last thing you'd call this. Pass. (I am considering this bag presently.)

Hope that helps frame up what I'm looking for on the 'not look like a camera bag' front, but the original inputs still apply. I don't want a crappy duffel bag that fools everyone but is also a steaming turd for camera use. :D

- A

Attachments

• Bags.jpg
    Bags.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Just poking a little fun at the quest for the perfect bag. ;) That quest is why I have 4 photo backpacks, three Toploaders, two photo belts, and a whole slew of small pouches and cases.

Again, fair. Traveling home to see my family for the holidays is a different 'carry' animal than heading to a sketchy part of town in another country. My stuff's insured, but why would I advertise that I am carrying!

(And I live for Tenba photo inserts on my satchels. Just haven't found a winner one for a traditional American backpack with a U-shaped outer zipper.)

- A

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
For less conspicuous travel I went with a Gregory Compass 30 to carry a 6D with a couple of lenses or my M kit.
http://gregorypacks.com/travel/daypacks/compass-30/68396XXXX.html?dwvar_68396XXXX_color=True%20Black

It is a streamlined style and easy access is via a full U-zip on the backpanel. There is a also a sleeve for my iPad in the back panel and a few compression straps to shrink it when not full. You can hang a tripod on the external mounts, but then you are advertising the bag contents. It will hold my Gura Gear inserts just fine if I want to fill it up or I can just use a single small/medium insert and leave the remainder of the pack for other gear.

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
ahsanford said:
dave61 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Fair. I ought to just walk into a bigger camera store and get lost in the bag area. I was at B&H in Manhattan earlier this year and only spent 20 minutes speed-browsing the bags. Opportunity lost!

- A
A big camera store is not the only place to look, I stumbled upon the Pacsafe in a travel store.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hey gang, just resuscitating this thread -- have we seen any new entrants on the camera-backpack-that-doesn't-look-like-a-camera-backpack front? Someone with roughly equal space for a smallish 5D3 + 1-3 lens setup that leaves half the bag open for a coat, food, travel stuff, etc.?

Reference #1: My original post on requirements

Reference #2: What I mean by 'not standing out'

- A

Upvote 0