Bag Quest V: The One Bag to Rule Them All (on vacation)

ahsanford said:
Hey gang, just resuscitating this thread -- have we seen any new entrants on the camera-backpack-that-doesn't-look-like-a-camera-backpack front? Someone with roughly equal space for a smallish 5D3 + 1-3 lens setup that leaves half the bag open for a coat, food, travel stuff, etc.?

Reference #1: My original post on requirements

Reference #2: What I mean by 'not standing out'

- A
I can only repeat what I said earlier in this thread. F-stop provides a number of alternatives to fit your requirements. They are very flexible, with their ICU concept, they look like regular hiking backpacks, from very small to very large, they are very durable (I have brought my 3 packs on all kinds of abusive trips) and they are very comfortable to carry. Access to camera equipement is through the back, so your gear is always as well protected as it can be. I use three sizes from their Mountain series, wheras my son uses their Ultralight series. We are both very happy with them.

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
ahsanford said:
Hey gang, just resuscitating this thread -- have we seen any new entrants on the camera-backpack-that-doesn't-look-like-a-camera-backpack front? Someone with roughly equal space for a smallish 5D3 + 1-3 lens setup that leaves half the bag open for a coat, food, travel stuff, etc.?

Reference #1: My original post on requirements

Reference #2: What I mean by 'not standing out'
I haven't seen anything new, and thus stand by my original recommendation.
- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Update on BQ V: TOBTRTA (ov)

The Brevite bags (at least the original backpack design) don't play nice with a 5D sized body out the side hatch, which is a must for me. Apparently the hotshoe catches on the opening quite a bit.

Cross that one off the list. Quick access without dismount is a must.

The quest continues.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Someone raised a point about Timbuk2 on another thread and I completely missed this little winner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfyiwuw4NM

It's out of production but still available at least at Amazon.

A little technical camera-ish bag looking, but not a clear foam coffin. But there's no doubting it nails the 50/50 camera/non-camera split well. In my prior list of rankings, this is between a C and D. Could be worse.

One clear miss: no quickdraw access. You need to put this down to get your camera out.

The quest continues.

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Lowepro much?

I have owned my ProTactic 350 long enough now to know how strong, versatile and protective it is. No more need to gingerly set things downor to wish it could do this or that. I bet many of us want a hybrid of our many bags but no one makes the bag like AvTvM wants his camera!

I was bouncing back and forth between a Flipside Sport AV for my large bag and a Incase DSLR Sling (Which I LOVE) and I bought the Protactic on a G.A.Ssy whim due to it's cool urban milspec thing. Well turns out I never use my Flipside or Timbuk2 or converted with insert bags any more. One bag to rule them all. The hip belt is easily removable and the straps are comfy and breezy. The chest strap is solid, unlike the wussy strap on the Flipside. I like things which inspire confidence, this one does.

Now I know there is either a love it or hate it camp with this bag. I get that.

Oh and that Incase sling? Great adjustments, super wide and comfy strap, easily swings out and back, great velcro for repositioning the dividers. I've been using it for the 5D3 & 100-400 alone and it's perfect. Add a lens and it's back to the Protactic.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
So the bags that I own would not qualify for your list (Flipside 400AW, Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+, etc).

But, reading where you are coming from, particularly the bag that made you look like you work at an Apple store, I'd encourage you to go military. Some sort of rucksack that you add an insert in. Nothing like making someone think that you are military/ex-military/or wannabe military to give you a bit of added security.

An example:
http://www.goruck.com/rucksacks/c/102

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/usmc-military-surplus-tactical-one-day-assault-pack-used?a=2059716

Bottom of Page 1 in this thread has an example:
http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=7115&highlight=backpack

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
docsmith said:
So the bags that I own would not qualify for your list (Flipside 400AW, Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+, etc).

But, reading where you are coming from, particularly the bag that made you look like you work at an Apple store, I'd encourage you to go military. Some sort of rucksack that you add an insert in. Nothing like making someone think that you are military/ex-military/or wannabe military to give you a bit of added security.

An example:
http://www.goruck.com/rucksacks/c/102

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/usmc-military-surplus-tactical-one-day-assault-pack-used?a=2059716

last post in this thread has an example:
http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=7115&highlight=backpack

1) I own that same Kiboko bag. That's my 'vacation with time to do landscapes in a safe place' bag. Think Hawaii, think the Grand Canyon, etc. Since I don't shoot long glass, I can basically pack the kitchen sink in there for those trips.

2) Love the military beat up old canvas vibe (I own a few), and the best purpose-built-for-a-camera + room for personal items of that type I can't find a review for: http://www.ablearcher.co/ --> the rucksack is comically expensive to justify a pickup without any reviews.

3) I use trekpak in my home camera cabinet (and it's awesome), but again, for this need I want a purpose-built bag with a side hatch down low for quick access.

So unlike for my army of DIY satchels, for this vacation/travel bag I will buy a purpose-built bag with all the zippers / openings / etc. ideally suited for my needs.

- A

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
neuroanatomist said:
Just curious...have you considered disguise instead of design? Take a proper 'boxycube' black photo backpack, and muss it up a bit.

msgm-black-embellished-patch-backpack-product-3-843345556-normal.jpeg

I like this idea

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
How about Fjällräven Kånken?
http://www.fjallraven.com/kanken-no-2

Being originally launched to be a backpack for school children, with a wide selection of colours available means you can get something that mostly looks like you've got a lunch box, an extra sweater, a thermos flask and a rolled-up newspaper in it.

F23565_3.jpg

Sewing a zipper into the side of one of these, removing a side pocket, should be relatively easy in comparison to most backpacks I've seen. Or just go with their ready made photo insert: http://www.fjallraven.com/kanken-photo-insert

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
hne said:
How about Fjällräven Kånken?
http://www.fjallraven.com/kanken-no-2

Being originally launched to be a backpack for school children, with a wide selection of colours available means you can get something that mostly looks like you've got a lunch box, an extra sweater, a thermos flask and a rolled-up newspaper in it.

Sewing a zipper into the side of one of these, removing a side pocket, should be relatively easy in comparison to most backpacks I've seen. Or just go with their ready made photo insert: http://www.fjallraven.com/kanken-photo-insert

Again, for this need, DIY / sewing / modification is out. I don't mind a modded up military ammo pouch for walkaround use in town. But for a travel bag, packing efficiency must be high, so I believe it needs to be a two chamber (gear down low with dividers in a photo module / jacket, gloves, hat, ipad, food, sunglasses up high) purpose-built sort of setup.

Also, most stylish backpacks are out for strap + breathability reasons. This is a vacation bag that will be stuffed with (I'm guessing) perhaps 20 pounds of photo + travel cargo, so those Fjallraven straps are tiny, unpadded canvas that will punish my shoulders. Pass, but thanks -- they make wonderful wool sweaters, though. :D

But what you've linked + my needs being addressed = the Brevite bag I previously linked. A+ for not looking like a camera bag.

- A

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Not sure if this goes into your Fail! category, but Vanguard have a number of different bags.
www.vanguardworld.us/nature_us/products/bags/reno-48kg.html
I have one of their slings and it works great if I don't need more than a body with attached 70-200mm, and 4 additional lenses. One extra semi-separate compartment for some small stuff, but no room for food or clothes (unless you consider an energy bar food, and a bikini made from dental floss works as clothes for you). :)

They also have the Endeavor -> http://www.vanguardworld.us/nature_us/products/bags/endeavor-bag-1600.html
or the Adaptor 48 (not sure if that one can carry anything but camera gear) -> http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/products/camera-bags/adaptor-48.html
Havana 48 (probably similar in size to the last mentioned Adaptor) -> http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/products/camera-bags/havana-48.html

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
DominoDude said:
Not sure if this goes into your Fail! category, but Vanguard have a number of different bags.
www.vanguardworld.us/nature_us/products/bags/reno-48kg.html
I have one of their slings and it works great if I don't need more than a body with attached 70-200mm, and 4 additional lenses. One extra semi-separate compartment for some small stuff, but no room for food or clothes (unless you consider an energy bar food, and a bikini made from dental floss works as clothes for you). :)

They also have the Endeavor -> http://www.vanguardworld.us/nature_us/products/bags/endeavor-bag-1600.html

Thx for the link. I've seen some other Vanguard bags in my searching, but I've never drilled down at their website.

Reno 48: Sharp looking bag. About right, but front-back only access generally means a full dismount to unload the camera. I shoot with a sling/satchel 90% of the time and love the draw-without-dismount such a bag provides. So unless the bag is some transformer like the MindShift 180 packs, I think I have to have the side hatch to draw the body+lens out in a one-shouldered bag-still-being-carried position.

Havana 48: A little unattractive -- and that's a good thing for this vacation bummy nondrescript bag sort of vibe I'm looking for. Unfortunately, they've put something like a hinged photo insert in the bottom that angles out (the back) when you unzip it. (Vanguard didn't even post a picture of how the camera is loaded, I had to find that elsewhere). Again, no side access = no sale.

The Oslo 47 has the side hatch I am looking for but is too small for my needs. I want to just about exactly fill the US coach airline underseat space, which varies by carrier, but runs around 20" / 17" / 11" (50 cm / 43cm / 28cm). That generally puts me in the 22-25L sized bag range.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I know this seems a hyper overthought thread, but I'm trying to do this with one bag.

The Brevite wins on all measures for nondescript / non-photo bag, and I could take this on trips to developing nations, less nice parts of cities, etc. as it's as non-photo bag as it gets and still works as a comfortable backpack. Has a side hatch, generally gets the photo/non-photo size right, etc. --> I very well may end up buying this bag and fighting to draw/holster my 5D3 each time (if the reviews are correct).

The PRVKE 21 and Thule Covert bags are more versatile, modern bags that I can get more gear into, they look better, they look much more comfortable, etc. and they don't look like camera bags either. And critically, both have the side hatch. I'd feel perfectly comfortable driving around where I live with this, at shiny happy people vacation spots, major metropolitan areas, etc. but I would never take this to a more dangerous place, developing nations, a sketchy part of town, etc. because even though it's not clearly a camera bag, it screams 'laptop or something of value' is inside.

I'm trying to get -- in one bag -- a complete sleeper from all appearances, but have all kinds of flexibility and modern features on the inside. That bag very may not exist, and I'd end up buying two. Because I want the PRVKE 21 or similar for options/comfort/expandability, but I may need a Brevite in my travels at some point.

The quest continues for now, but I may pull the trigger soon.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
I know this seems a hyper overthought thread, but I'm trying to do this with one bag.

The Brevite wins on all measures for nondescript / non-photo bag, and I could take this on trips to developing nations, less nice parts of cities, etc. as it's as non-photo bag as it gets and still works as a comfortable backpack. Has a side hatch, generally gets the photo/non-photo size right, etc. --> I very well may end up buying this bag and fighting to draw/holster my 5D3 each time (if the reviews are correct).

The PRVKE 21 and Thule Covert bags are more versatile, modern bags that I can get more gear into, they look better, they look much more comfortable, etc. and they don't look like camera bags either. And critically, both have the side hatch. I'd feel perfectly comfortable driving around where I live with this, at shiny happy people vacation spots, major metropolitan areas, etc. but I would never take this to a more dangerous place, developing nations, a sketchy part of town, etc. because even though it's not clearly a camera bag, it screams 'laptop or something of value' is inside.

I'm trying to get -- in one bag -- a complete sleeper from all appearances, but have all kinds of flexibility and modern features on the inside. That bag very may not exist, and I'd end up buying two. Because I want the PRVKE 21 or similar for options/comfort/expandability, but I may need a Brevite in my travels at some point.

The quest continues for now, but I may pull the trigger soon.

- A
Let us know what you decide and post a picture.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's official, my PRVKE 21 has been pre-ordered.

In the end, I was trying to address three needs with one bag:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Bag for vacations where I needed a camera / non-camera merged bag
[*]Bag for work travel where laptop would be involved but I also might want to bring some gear
[*]Bag for discreet camera carry in less safe places
[/list]

In the end, the epiphany that a) I go to unsafe places very infrequently and b) that #2 was a much more pressing unmet need for me (and has been for some time) meant that #1 and #2 could be conveniently folded into one modern mixed-carry bag. #3 is an open issue, but future travel to developing nations might warrant a Brevite bag purchase someday.

Sadly, there is no bag to rule them all. But I'm still geeked about what's coming in the mail. Thanks for the sounding board, everyone.

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:
ahsanford said:
Sadly, there is no bag to rule them all.

Because it was thrown into the fires of Mount Doom.

+1

I agree with a small caveat...I have finally found the right SET of bags for me to cure my bag G.A.S. True, not a single bag but I've got it down to 2 for most of the time and 3 for all of the time.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
I agree with a small caveat...I have finally found the right SET of bags for me to cure my bag G.A.S. True, not a single bag but I've got it down to 2 for most of the time and 3 for all of the time.

That's just craziness. :D

I'll still own 6-7 bags for different needs. Proper get-sweaty hiking vs. a casual walkabout, camera + one lens only vs. 2-3 lenses vs. a big loadout, etc. will always drive the need to own a lot of bags.

But the real PITA of traveling on a plane with gear has effectively been solved with this latest acquisition. No more jamming clothes and food into a big foamy camera bag, and no more wrapping my 5D3 + 28 prime in a winter hat and jamming in my work bag or backpack.

[cue Radiohead] Everything in its right place.

- A

Upvote 0