Basketball

Hi,

couldn't find a thread dedicated to basketball, so thought I'll open one with some examples from the game Gmunden vs. Kapfenberg a month ago. All shot with 5DIII and 70-200 2.8 II. (The full set can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/80270150@N06/sets/72157632875985126/ )

Any comments highly welcome, especially in terms of noise reduction - this is a topic where I'm just learning :)

20130120-0327_Gmunden von stephan_n auf Flickr

20130120-0673_Gmunden von stephan_n auf Flickr

20130120-0789_Gmunden von stephan_n auf Flickr

What do you guys think of the composition? I had to do a fair amount of cropping for each picture, but wanted to keep the surrounding players in the first pic and the referee in the background in the second pic - as well as the distance to the floor, obviously. The third one I could have kept landscape but I felt the other players in the background would have been a distraction.

I also love the second pic, got here the next frame which shows how the player has his eyes on the ball and the basket, but is has much less drama in it:

20130120-0674_Gmunden von stephan_n auf Flickr

Upvote 0
I'll add a little contrast to the thread with my shot. My 10 year old daughter in her first year of travel basketball after getting called for her first foul. She looked to me with the look of "I didn't do it, Dad!"

10767187724_e9f17f40b2_b_d.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks!

A friend asked how I did this image so I'll repeat it here:

1. Frame the shot to include the basket and player, focus on player and lock focus. A tripod could be used, but this was handheld. Don't follow the ball, stay rock steady.
2. Motor drive from beginning to end.
3. Stack the photos as layers.
3. Align via auto (or manual if auto does not work)
4. First and last photos are main photos, erase half of one, and make sure no seam is visible. In all other photos select around the ball, feather, inverse, erase. (so just the ball from that photo is visible, and the soft edge blends.

Upvote 0