Battery door open = flat battery!!

Jul 26, 2011
My 5DIV gets notably less shots from a battery than my 5DII did. I have a non-Canon grip and I don't know if it is the grip or the camera, but if I leave the two batteries in the grip, and even with the camera off, the batteries are near empty the next day. I always have to pull the batteries when I leave the camera in my bag. Should probably experiment to see what's going on, but have blamed it on the cheapo grip.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Batteries don't stay charged for more than a couple of weeks in my 5D IV on standby, whereas, even with the power switch on (but camera on standby), batteries in my 5D III lasted MONTHS. Even with no GPS or Wi-Fi, whatever, the 5D IV is draining the battery.

Regarding the door, however, leaving it open means a very good chance it will snap off. Don't do it!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The battery should not go flat if the battery door is open. There is a switch that turns the camera off when its open. If you can power up the camera when the battery door is open, you have a bad switch.

The most likely possibility is a bad battery. Thats easy to check, leave the battery out of the camera overnight to see if it runs down.

If its a good battery, then the camera has a problem.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Batteries don't stay charged for more than a couple of weeks in my 5D IV on standby, whereas, even with the power switch on (but camera on standby), batteries in my 5D III lasted MONTHS. Even with no GPS or Wi-Fi, whatever, the 5D IV is draining the battery.

Regarding the door, however, leaving it open means a very good chance it will snap off. Don't do it!
This surprised me. I have a 5D mk 3 and a 5D mk 4 and I have not noticed much difference in the battery life.
However, I always have GPS, Wifi and touch screen disabled and I switch the camera off when I am not using it rather than leaving it in standby.
Occasionally I enable the touch screen and that does seem to draw some additional power which reduces the battery life somewhat. One thing I have noticed is that GPS drains the battery very quickly, especially if it is set to mode 1, but as I have no use for GPS this is not really a problem.

Upvote 0
Ian_of_glos said:
This surprised me. I have a 5D mk 3 and a 5D mk 4 and I have not noticed much difference in the battery life.
However, I always have GPS, Wifi and touch screen disabled and I switch the camera off when I am not using it rather than leaving it in standby.
Occasionally I enable the touch screen and that does seem to draw some additional power which reduces the battery life somewhat. One thing I have noticed is that GPS drains the battery very quickly, especially if it is set to mode 1, but as I have no use for GPS this is not really a problem.

I had a 5D II, then a 5D III and now a 5D IV, and each time the number of pictures I can take on a full charge goes down. I leave GPS and Wifi off, but the touch screen is enabled. Too bad the LP6Ns were not higher capacity...

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Don Haines said:
To use an external power supply, you insert it into the battery slot.... I wonder if by leaving the door open, that the camera thinks that it running on an external supply and does not turn off ?

Can believe it. Camera know battery % but can't know if battery or DC?

Mt Spokane Photography said:
The battery should not go flat if the battery door is open. There is a switch that turns the camera off when its open. If you can power up the camera when the battery door is open, you have a bad switch.

Don say open door for external power.

The most likely possibility is a bad battery. Thats easy to check, leave the battery out of the camera overnight to see if it runs down.

If its a good battery, then the camera has a problem.

Try this, battery no problem.

timmy_650 said:
Was the GPS on? That can drain your battery

No GPS. No WiFi.

YuengLinger said:

Camera on shelf. Camera didn't move. Camera safe.

Someone else test it?

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
What happens with the Door closed? - if the battery doesn't go flat then maybe store the camera that way.
Leaving the door open is asking for the door to be broken off and then it will definitely not work.
I wouldn't think leaving the door open flattens the battery unless the red light keeps flashing.
I don't think you need to lose too much sleep over it.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
The battery door does not need to be open for external power. There is a small rubber cover near where the tip of my little finger rest. This allows access for the power cable. Indeed, if the door would be open I suspect the camera would be switched off.
My 5DsR gets fewer shots per charge than my 6D or previous 5Dii, but still sufficient. Never goes through more than two in a shoot.
The LP-e6n has slightly more capacity than the LP-e6.

Upvote 0
snoke said:
Yes! Proof!

Test battery in camera. 74%.

Remove battery.

Put battery in camera. Not close door.

Many hour later, close door. Check battery.

Now 59%

!!!

A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?

I am trying the same test with my 5D mk4.
The battery was 73% at the start of the test, the door is open and I will let you know what happens.

Upvote 0