Battery Life and heat issue shooting stills.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It overheats after a few hundred photos in normal conditions like 70 degrees and basically you can still do every function but none of the new video modes will work. only the old ones.

To be clear as glass (you said this but wyotex might nevertheless come away confused; I know what you meant but s/he is asking about this very point): stills and lower-level video won't overheat in such a way as to block you from taking stills, or lower-level video.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It overheats after a few hundread photos and basically you can still do every function but none of the new video modes will work. only the old ones.
To be clear as glass (you said this but wyotex might nevertheless come away confused; I know what you meant but s/he is asking about this very point): stills and lower-level video won't overheat in such a way as to block you from taking stills, or lower-level video.
it gets too hot to do the hq modes, the 4k60/120 and 8k with ease after shooting photos. . so only those options are locked out. everything else is fine. u have to be mindful of that if u do video and photos on one body.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I'm going to guess South Africa in particular. I find it interesting the eye focus doesn't work with zebras. I wonder if the stripey pattern is confusing the software algorithm somehow? And buying one for the wife as well--excellent strategy!
I thought zebras are an exposure related thing, not AF...:)

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012

Can you still continue taking pictures? Meaning if you take video for long to make it overheat, can you still switch to pics?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Can you still continue taking pictures? Meaning if you take video for long to make it overheat, can you still switch to pics?

As I understand it (not from my personal experience): You can drive it into shutdown shooting 8K, then (I think you have to turn it off then on again) immediately take pictures and keep taking them all day (though you may have to swap batteries at some point). You don't have to wait for it to cool down before taking pictures--and it will even let you do some of the video modes (1080p, 4K low quality), again all day, limited only by batteries. But if you do this you probably won't be able to go back to 8K until long after you stop.

Upvote 0
it gets too hot to do the hq modes, the 4k60/120 and 8k with ease after shooting photos. . so only those options are locked out. everything else is fine. u have to be mindful of that if u do video and photos on one body.

You may not have seen my later post. Below are the results of my own test.

Battery Test of 7Dmk2 vs R5

Conditions: 80 Degrees, Intense sun at 6500 feet. Windy

Began test 11:35 am, Using interval timer on both cameras set to unlimited with 7 seconds between exposure.

7Dmk2, 40mm lens with AF on. Battery began test at 94%, it was an old battery with poor recharge performance, one square showing.
It ran for 2h09min before the battery died. 1015 shots.

R5 15-35mm lens with AF on, Battery was at 100 with 3 squares showing on the recharge performance. Brand new LP-E6NH, Electronic first curtain shutter, Rear LCD closed. Using only SD card, CF Express cards have not arrived.

It took 1145 shots before I it cut it off. It was showing 12 % battery at that point.

I then took 215 more shots in a several burst and 3 minutes of HD videos and checked several video formats for the time remaining. Total stills were 1360 plus 3 minutes of video
This is what was showing at that time.

FHD 29.97 IPB Rec time 7:42:56
FHS 58.94 All I Rec time 1:17:04
4k-u 29.97 All I Rec time 29:27
4k-u 29.97 IPB Rec time 01:55.39
4k u 59.94 IPB Rec Time 59:32
4k d 59.94 All-1 Rec time 29:05
8k-d 29.97 IPB Rec time 28:50

Other Formats were showing zero, I assume due to no CFexpress card.
At this point the Battery was showing 2%. I never saw a heat warning.

Knowing that I had a weak battery in the 7Dmk2 I was not surprised that it quit early. With a good battery it would easily get to 2k shots plus. My conclusion is that for me I should get 700-1000 shots with R5 on a good battery. I will be carrying 2 extras batteries not 1 when using the R5.

Upvote 0
I'm going to guess South Africa in particular. I find it interesting the eye focus doesn't work with zebras. I wonder if the stripey pattern is confusing the software algorithm somehow? And buying one for the wife as well--excellent strategy!
The Zebras were particulary dark. And darker stripes running through or right next to the eye. But the camera did pick up the eye of birds with black heads, so I do not know why it dont work on Zebra.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The Zebras were particulary dark. And darker stripes running through or right next to the eye. But the camera did pick up the eye of birds with black heads, so I do not know why it dont work on Zebra.

We're going to end up with a third choice for subject of eye focus. Humans, zebras, and all other animals. :D

Though perhaps we'll have to wait for the R5Z for that.

Upvote 0