BCN Awards: Canon sweeps the sales awards

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The BCN awards based on 2019 sales in Japan are now out, and Canon has swept the major segments. BCN collects data from a majority of Japanese camera retailers to give a good idea of how things are going for the big manufacturers on their home turf.
Sony has made a big move in interchangeable lenses as they have passed Nikon for #2.
DSLR Cameras

Canon 56.3%
Nikon 41.1%
Ricoh 2.4%

Mirrorless Cameras

Canon 30.9%
Sony 25.9%
Olympus 23.4%

Compact Cameras

Canon 39.3%
Nikon 22.9%
Sony 15.2%

Interchangeable Lenses

Canon 19.9%
Sony 16.9%
Nikon 14.4%

Canon News made some pretty graphs that show how the market has looked over the last 8 years.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Interesting, but according to CIPA, Japan is only about 10% of the global market. Also, it's not clear (to me - I can't read Japanese) how the raw data is sliced and diced here. 43rumors.com is reporting the following "System Camera Share" based off the same BCN raw data: Canon 33.6% (slight drop), Nikon 19.2 (up very slightly), Sony 17.5% (down slightly), Olympus 16.1 (up), Fuji 6.9% (down), Panasonic 5.9% (up +), Pentax - no data. In any case, Canon is the clear share leader.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks @canonnews.

One thing I did find interesting is that after being #2 in lenses for the past three years, Sigma fell off the radar this year. I'm guessing a couple of reasons could be that they really didn't release any blockbusters this year (the 60-600mm not generating the excitement of the earlier superzooms) and the new mounts by Canon and Nikon may have limited their sales.

It's too bad they don't distinguish between crop and full frame (at least it doesn't appear to me that they do). I would imagine that Canon's crop sensor mirrorless accounts for a high percentage of total mirrorless sales (just as crop sensors account for the bulk of DSLR sales).

All in all, good on Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Interesting, but according to CIPA, Japan is only about 10% of the global market. Also, it's not clear (to me - I can't read Japanese) how the raw data is sliced and diced here. 43rumors.com is reporting the following "System Camera Share" based off the same BCN raw data: Canon 33.6% (slight drop), Nikon 19.2 (up very slightly), Sony 17.5% (down slightly), Olympus 16.1 (up), Fuji 6.9% (down), Panasonic 5.9% (up +), Pentax - no data. In any case, Canon is the clear share leader.

that system camera share report is only for the month of december.

Upvote 0
Thanks @canonnews.

One thing I did find interesting is that after being #2 in lenses for the past three years, Sigma fell off the radar this year. I'm guessing a couple of reasons could be that they really didn't release any blockbusters this year (the 60-600mm not generating the excitement of the earlier superzooms) and the new mounts by Canon and Nikon may have limited their sales.

I would imagine DSLR's dropping like flies last year hurt Sigma, et all on the third party lens side as well.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Fujifilm has no market in Japan?

I have some doubts in these numbers :unsure:
Fuji cameras/systems are only popular with Millenials and small children. Or conversely, Pro's on a budget that like the GFX 50 and 100.

(NOTE: I think Fuji makes great 'stuff'; I'm just being funny here.) :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0