Bears in the Wild

Hei!!

Nice thread! Here in Finland there are several companies that offer hides to photograph bears or other species. It is not as "easy" as in America to do so....
Couple of weeks ago I went to photograph wolverines and at some point I needed to get out of the hide because there were Northern Lights. I was quite scared (a bear had been seen frecuently in the area) but nothin happened. IN here they normally run away if they spot a human. I thought that if I were in NA I would have been quite more scared that I was then... well, one day I really want to go to Canada and Alaska, at least. Even for a short term research position that also would allow me to know the area. I will ask for an expert or some fellow local photograher :D .... well, first I need to save money or get the position.

Cheers!
Victor

By the way, this is taken with 5D mark II, 300 f4L IS and 1.4 II TC

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Logan said:
I am pretty familiar with black bears. Not so much grizzles, and their behavior is quite different.
#1 rule of black bears is they feel the same way about you as you do about them. if you come around a corner and BOOM you are within swatting distance of a bear and he is suprised, you might be in trouble. thats the idea of bear bells, to give some advance warning. a dog or walking companions or singing also works.

When I see a bear, I stop, check for cubs, stay in plain view, and slowly get closer until it notices me. then i stop, take pictures and wait for it to either back off or stand its ground. keep eye contact, move slowly and deliberately. i have never had a bear do anything other than evaluate the situation and either tolerate me or leave.

Worst comes to worse and you get in a bad situation, prevailing wisdom is first back away slowly maintaining eye contact, and if you get charged (they paw the ground and bluff a few times first), either play dead or fight back while yelling, depending on how commited you think the bear is. I know of several people who have been charged and their yelling and stone throwing and stick swinging made the bear change its mind. Once the bear makes contact, play dead, they arent hunting you for food, they are trying to win a fight, so make them think they won. Never EVER EVER climb a tree or try and run away, bears legs are twice as long as they look, and they dont slow down AT ALL when they move from flat ground to straight up a tree.

Good stuff, however everything I've ever read on bear encounters states to avoid making eye contact, as it can be perceived as a threat by the bear. Also, when it comes to black bears, you should fight back, instead of playing dead.

http://centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearAware/BearEncounters/bearencounters.html

http://www.mountainnature.com/Wildlife/Bears/BearEncounters.htm

Upvote 0