Beautiful sunsets

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
yorgasor said:
This is a view from West Mountain, on the southern edge of Utah Lake near Provo, UT

Just got back from commenting and faving some of these. Awesome work, Ron.
Couldn't agree more, both sets! I do especially like the perspective and composition of the second one in this second set Ron. Really, really nice! :)

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Kernuak said:
Kernuak said:
On my way back from my regular visit to the Scottish Highlands, I stopped off in the Glencoe area, this time in Kinlochleven. I finally saw the first spectacular sunset of the autumn. I've always found that sunsets seem to be much more impressive in the autumn (fall) for some reason.

I started off wide, with the 24mm f/1.4 MkII on the 5D MkIII.

Fiery Sunset over Loch Leven by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

After waiting for the right light for half an hour and stopping to photograph something in the opposite direction, with the colours getting more intense by the minute, I finally decided "job done" and packed everythying away. I started walking back to the hotel, but looked around, only to find the colours had got even stronger. I was torn, as the filters take a long time to sort out, plus I had the 70-200 attached. In the end I couldn't resist, so just put the 70-200 on the tripod without any filters and this was the result.

Fiery Skies over Loch Leven by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

As I was finally walking back to the hotel, I passed a family literally running in the opposite direction, only to hear the little girl say "Mummy, it looks like the end of the road is on fire".

Those are both fabulous shots. The first one has a great lead in with the little stream, and the compression of the color layers on the second one is equally fabulous!
Thanks Dustin. My landscape work has been almost non-existent this year, with just a handful of previous shots, so it's always good to know I haven't lost my touch.
Richard, I agree with Dustin, these are fabulous! I really like the first as well, very nice composition. Looking at the second, how can I not like it equally as well? It's really quite well done! I so need to get over there one of these days!

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Sporgon said:
yorgasor said:
On a monster road trip this summer, we stopped by Yellowstone and experienced one of the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen:

Beautiful ! But where's Yogi Bear ?
Must be something in the translation Sporgon, Yogi lives in Jellystone, not Yellowstone! ;D

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Krob78 said:
Sporgon said:
yorgasor said:
On a monster road trip this summer, we stopped by Yellowstone and experienced one of the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen:

Must be something in the translation Sporgon, Yogi lives in Jellystone, not Yellowstone! ;D

So that's why I never found him !

Here's a sunset sky shot a short while ago - the last picture taken on my faithful 5D before it went to a new owner :'(

Attachments

• _MG_6400A.jpg
    _MG_6400A.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Sporgon said:
Krob78 said:
Sporgon said:
yorgasor said:

So that's why I never found him !

Here's a sunset sky shot a short while ago - the last picture taken on my faithful 5D before it went to a new owner :'(
As the sun goes down on an era... Felt that way giving up my 7D too! ???

Upvote 0
yorgasor said:
On a monster road trip this summer, we stopped by Yellowstone and experienced one of the most amazing sunsets I've ever had:

IMG_6839 by yorgasor, on Flickr

IMG_6858 by yorgasor, on Flickr

IMG_6864 by yorgasor, on Flickr

IMG_6870 by yorgasor, on Flickr
Sunsets in stormy conditions can give some very stranage ans surreal colours, but I've never been lucky enough to be in position to get a photo, usually I find I'm driving to/from work. I can't make up my mind which is my favourite, probably one of the first two, but with a lightning strike :p.

Upvote 0
Krob78 said:
Kernuak said:
Kernuak said:
On my way back from my regular visit to the Scottish Highlands, I stopped off in the Glencoe area, this time in Kinlochleven. I finally saw the first spectacular sunset of the autumn. I've always found that sunsets seem to be much more impressive in the autumn (fall) for some reason.

After waiting for the right light for half an hour and stopping to photograph something in the opposite direction, with the colours getting more intense by the minute, I finally decided "job done" and packed everythying away. I started walking back to the hotel, but looked around, only to find the colours had got even stronger. I was torn, as the filters take a long time to sort out, plus I had the 70-200 attached. In the end I couldn't resist, so just put the 70-200 on the tripod without any filters and this was the result.

As I was finally walking back to the hotel, I passed a family literally running in the opposite direction, only to hear the little girl say "Mummy, it looks like the end of the road is on fire".

Those are both fabulous shots. The first one has a great lead in with the little stream, and the compression of the color layers on the second one is equally fabulous!
Thanks Dustin. My landscape work has been almost non-existent this year, with just a handful of previous shots, so it's always good to know I haven't lost my touch.
Richard, I agree with Dustin, these are fabulous! I really like the first as well, very nice composition. Looking at the second, how can I not like it equally as well? It's really quite well done! I so need to get over there one of these days!

Thanks Ken, it's certainly a place for the landscape photographer (but also for the wildlife photographer). The Western Isles are probably among the best for teh quality of lighting though, there's something unique about it (when it isn't drenched by rain). Have a look at some of the shots from Skye. I wan't lucky enough to capture the best of the lighting, but there's plenty about, especially around Elgol.

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Kernuak said:
Krob78 said:
Kernuak said:
Kernuak said:

Thanks Ken, it's certainly a place for the landscape photographer (but also for the wildlife photographer). The Western Isles are probably among the best for teh quality of lighting though, there's something unique about it (when it isn't drenched by rain). Have a look at some of the shots from Skye. I wan't lucky enough to capture the best of the lighting, but there's plenty about, especially around Elgol.
I'll be planning my trip carefully before I go. I want to get to the best places for photos... Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0