Been with Canon for 12 years - wait or jump ship?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Re: Well, I jumped...

Hector1970 said:
I'd agreed with Privatebydesign on this. Lightroom and Capture One are a muchness when it come to converting raw images. I don't think even Capture One would claim to be superior with Sony images.

Thanks for the updates on the Sony Camera.
I have been tempted by an A9 with its high frame rate.
I think it encourages Canon to keep updating and will encourage them to go big into mirrorless.
I'm not sure the physical limit of a shutter in terms of FPS but Canon must be approaching it already.
I certainly don't mind hearing about Sony cameras.
They are interesting.
I'm quite happy with Canon but if the 7DIII isn't alot better than the 7DII I might look again at Sony or a 1DX model.

privatebydesign said:
ecqns said:
I figured we'd get a LR defender. I am not talking about sharpening. Color rendition is totally different. It would take much more than simply slider play to get something similar. Unless you are a color scientist (which I am not and I doubt many others are either) it is very difficult to match color in that way. I've had to do it for retouching jobs and its quite difficult and thats using a single image, not trying to make a profie. As I said before and eoren1 posted above, seeing the differences with your own eyes is hard to believe until you try both camera systems or both raw converters. Please try it sometime.

It's not about defending anything, it is about pointing out the truth that there is, effectively, no difference in the rendering side of the programs when you equalize the different parameters. One is not 'better' than the other, they are both capable of essentially identical output from presets that involve no user input past making the initial preset.

It doesn't matter why anyone prefers one program over the other, it could be the UI, because their cousin uses it etc etc, but to try to make a claim that the core rendering capabilities of the two programs are dramatically different is demonstrably false.

Why would you think for a second I haven't used C1?
What do you mean "alot better"? The only thing that would make me upgrade my 7DII to 7DII would be a better sensor. Nothing else. But even this requires explaining.

7DII is a good camera. I am satisfied with the results with the exception that sometimes to get what I want (no obvious noise on unfocused areas) I may have to use two denoising programs. First I denoise it using one program and produce a different raw file (.dng) and then process it again as raw with anothe program. 5DsR saves me from this 2-step process at least up to iso 800 or 1000. So I would like a sensor that its pixels are at least as good as the pixels of 5DsR. Judging by current Canon advancements this can be easily achieved and in fact overpassed. So a 7DIII with a better sensor as defined above would make me upgrade. OK I would also welcome more f/8 focusing points (already made in other cameras) and the new touch screen focusing technology which is now a standard (since even 200D has it). These updates alone would make me update my 7DII with no hesitation. I find that 10fps is more than enough. And of course bigger (buffer) is always better.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
" STOP COMPLAINING about Canon! If you don't like Canon, just get out of it!"

- same advise could be said of reading a forum post which clearly identifies this topic and yet you still read it and took the time to post how it annoys you? Maybe just get out of posts with obvious subjects?

Venting about and asking for advise on something you have a large investment in (thousands if not tens of thouands of dollars) seems more valid to me. We each handle it differently and sometimes it helps to find out what options are out there.. we LEARN things from it.. such as, is it worth it? what are the alternatives? What challenges might you find jumping to a different technology? what advantages?

I stopped investing in Canon glass and went Sigma for example.. and rarely change out bodies. Can't afford to jump, but decided to also reduce spending with Canon until I see something that excites me. I had the funds prepped for the 6d MkII for a few years... read up on it, tested one, and decided I couldn't live with some of the features they decided to limit (the autofocus spread for me, I take low light action shots). There are a fair number of frustrated customers, but we each find different ways of processing it. Jumping to a different technology isn't simple when you have that much invested.

- edit - btw while I have reduced my purchases, I still hope.. hence watching the rumours :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
snappy604 said:

- same advise could be said of reading a forum post which clearly identifies this topic and yet you still read it and took the time to post how it annoys you? Maybe just get out of posts with obvious subjects?

Venting about and asking for advise on something you have a large investment in (thousands if not tens of thouands of dollars) seems more valid to me. We each handle it differently and sometimes it helps to find out what options are out there.. we LEARN things from it.. such as, is it worth it? what are the alternatives? What challenges might you find jumping to a different technology? what advantages?

I stopped investing in Canon glass and went Sigma for example.. and rarely change out bodies. Can't afford to jump, but decided to also reduce spending with Canon until I see something that excites me. I had the funds prepped for the 6d MkII for a few years... read up on it, tested one, and decided I couldn't live with some of the features they decided to limit (the autofocus spread for me, I take low light action shots). There are a fair number of frustrated customers, but we each find different ways of processing it. Jumping to a different technology isn't simple when you have that much invested.

- edit - btw while I have reduced my purchases, I still hope.. hence watching the rumours :)
Maybe you should stop complaining too about 6DII and find a camera without the shortcomings you mentioned like 5DMkIV. Better low ISO DR, better low light performance, better AF spread. I do have 5D4 and I enjoy using it. And I got a grey market one so I didn't pay for the full price.

Upvote 0
snappy604 said:

+1

Also had saved up for 6DII and all the glass I was going to spend money on. My skills as a photographer wouldn't justify the expenditure, but it was just a hobby for me so I didn't need to justify the cost like that. What I couldn't justify was that level of investment in something that looked half-baked.

Frankly would be happy to pay twice cost of 6DII for a 5DIV with tilty-flippy screen but Canon seems more likely now to release their own brand of toaster with a camera in it than that.

Personally believe Canon's issue is their marketing, they seem to spend too much time listening to 'professional' photographers, who know their stuff, but I don't believe represent a large potential market for cameras. I wonder if Nikon's recent seeming success with 850 is a sign that this market is finally being tapped.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
"Maybe you should stop complaining too about 6DII and find a camera without the shortcomings you mentioned like 5DMkIV. Better low ISO DR, better low light performance, better AF spread. I do have 5D4 and I enjoy using it. And I got a grey market one so I didn't pay for the full price. "

I used the 6DMkII as an example of understanding frustrations, but it wasn't the point of the reply. The main point is that it's easier to just igore a forum post that clearly states they're going to complain about canon, than to log in, get annoyed and post about how he's tired of this, but still does it. It's also easier to ignore a post than for a person to decide on whether to toss thousands or tens of thousands invested in a system. You want to be sure its not a case of the grass looks greener so you want advice and it's a valid thing to question.

I've wanted to move to full frame for quite a while, originally wanted 5d MkIV, but price was quiet a bit higher than I anticipated and the features while solid, didn't seem enough (to me) to justify the cost (I don't earn money from it). I lowered my sights/expectations and hoped for decent 6dMkII, but it seemed to underwhelm me. I know this is subjective, but I'm not alone in it.. and the massive early discounts on the 6dMkII seems to support it was more than just myself.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
snappy604 said:
"Maybe you should stop complaining too about 6DII and find a camera without the shortcomings you mentioned like 5DMkIV. Better low ISO DR, better low light performance, better AF spread. I do have 5D4 and I enjoy using it. And I got a grey market one so I didn't pay for the full price. "

I used the 6DMkII as an example of understanding frustrations, but it wasn't the point of the reply. The main point is that it's easier to just igore a forum post that clearly states they're going to complain about canon, than to log in, get annoyed and post about how he's tired of this, but still does it. It's also easier to ignore a post than for a person to decide on whether to toss thousands or tens of thousands invested in a system. You want to be sure its not a case of the grass looks greener so you want advice and it's a valid thing to question.

I've wanted to move to full frame for quite a while, originally wanted 5d MkIV, but price was quiet a bit higher than I anticipated and the features while solid, didn't seem enough (to me) to justify the cost (I don't earn money from it). I lowered my sights/expectations and hoped for decent 6dMkII, but it seemed to underwhelm me. I know this is subjective, but I'm not alone in it.. and the massive early discounts on the 6dMkII seems to support it was more than just myself.
I don't earn money and I do not take pictures all of the time. But I have enjoyed my 5D4 very much for low light prhotography (like the inside of museums and churches in Florence and shooting my niece dancing event). As I said also I did not pay the full price.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
When the 7D2 came out, there were a whole bunch of features that I wanted that were missing. I bought it anyway and was happy.

When the 6D2 came out, there were features that I wanted that were missing.... I bought it anyway and was happy.

The limiting factor in my photography is me. I am not competent enough to truly stretch the abilities of my cameras to thier limits. Plus, since I have been into digital cameras since the Quicktake 100, I can state that beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no camera out there that is a superior camera for everyone. We all have our differing needs and decisions, so we make different choices.

"If I don't get what I want, then I will stop playing" is something most children outgrow by age 10. At some point, we grow up and learn that the world does not revolve around us. Calling others names because thay made a different decision is equally immature.

My best "photography friends" shoot Canon, shoot Nikon, shoot Sony, shoot Olympus, and (GASP!) iPhone!!!!! They all do great. None of them are limited by thier gear, but by limitations in time, practice, and learning. They all enjoy thier craft and produce amazing images. One is into landscapes, one is into buildings, one is into birding, one is into nature photography, and the iPhone photographer can best be described as an artist who creates amazing images that you would never believe comes from a phone.... I would not loose one of them over something as stupid and trivial as gear choice.

As to the basic premise of this thread.... Been with Canon for 12 years - wait or jump ship? The true value of your gear is in the lenses. Do you wish to toss them aside or do you wish to use them on the next body? What type of photography do you do? What are you strengths and weaknesses? What are your preferences? Which camera best meets your needs? Should you wait a bit longer? This is something that only you can answer, but you will stirr up lots of responses from fanatics on all sides.

My advice to you is that cameras will always be better (with all manufacturers) if you wait, but future cameras do you no good if you want to shoot now. Find and join a camera club and talk to people that have similar cameras to what you are thinking of. Hopefully you can get to play with them and see how YOU like them. Be open minded.... perhaps you will find that some choice that you never even thought of pushes all your buttons.... and when someone says Canon is C**P! or Sony S**KS!, it is safe to ignore them as they probably do not hold a balanced viewpoint.

Seriously! Go find a camera club!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Don Haines said:
When the 7D2 came out, there were a whole bunch of features that I wanted that were missing. I bought it anyway and was happy.

When the 6D2 came out, there were features that I wanted that were missing.... I bought it anyway and was happy.

The limiting factor in my photography is me. I am not competent enough to truly stretch the abilities of my cameras to thier limits. Plus, since I have been into digital cameras since the Quicktake 100, I can state that beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no camera out there that is a superior camera for everyone. We all have our differing needs and decisions, so we make different choices.

"If I don't get what I want, then I will stop playing" is something most children outgrow by age 10. At some point, we grow up and learn that the world does not revolve around us. Calling others names because thay made a different decision is equally immature.

My best "photography friends" shoot Canon, shoot Nikon, shoot Sony, shoot Olympus, and (GASP!) iPhone!!!!! They all do great. None of them are limited by thier gear, but by limitations in time, practice, and learning. They all enjoy thier craft and produce amazing images. One is into landscapes, one is into buildings, one is into birding, one is into nature photography, and the iPhone photographer can best be described as an artist who creates amazing images that you would never believe comes from a phone.... I would not loose one of them over something as stupid and trivial as gear choice.

As to the basic premise of this thread.... Been with Canon for 12 years - wait or jump ship? The true value of your gear is in the lenses. Do you wish to toss them aside or do you wish to use them on the next body? What type of photography do you do? What are you strengths and weaknesses? What are your preferences? Which camera best meets your needs? Should you wait a bit longer? This is something that only you can answer, but you will stirr up lots of responses from fanatics on all sides.

My advice to you is that cameras will always be better (with all manufacturers) if you wait, but future cameras do you no good if you want to shoot now. Find and join a camera club and talk to people that have similar cameras to what you are thinking of. Hopefully you can get to play with them and see how YOU like them. Be open minded.... perhaps you will find that some choice that you never even thought of pushes all your buttons.... and when someone says Canon is C**P! or Sony S**KS!, it is safe to ignore them as they probably do not hold a balanced viewpoint.

I nominate this for Best Post in January 2018.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Don Haines said:

+1

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Isaacheus said:
Tracking speed on the Sony with an adapted 70-200 f4 L IS is significantly faster than the 6d, but is limited to 3fps. Again, native is far far better for this. For slower situations in semi decent light (i.e most landscapes, stationary wildlife), the sony and mc-11 has been good

I did not know that. Are all adapted lenses limited to 3fps?

I haven't tried that many lenses sorry - it'll fire away at top speed with all the lenses so far but only reliably tracks at 3fps. 8 fps is great if the subject is stationary but you're wanting to catch the exact moment, not so great for flying birds and such

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Isaacheus said:
Talys said:
Isaacheus said:
Tracking speed on the Sony with an adapted 70-200 f4 L IS is significantly faster than the 6d, but is limited to 3fps. Again, native is far far better for this. For slower situations in semi decent light (i.e most landscapes, stationary wildlife), the sony and mc-11 has been good

I did not know that. Are all adapted lenses limited to 3fps?

I haven't tried that many lenses sorry - it'll fire away at top speed with all the lenses so far but only reliably tracks at 3fps. 8 fps is great if the subject is stationary but you're wanting to catch the exact moment, not so great for flying birds and such

Ahh, I see. Thank you for explaining!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:

Hi Don,

I edited your post here to focus on the original post (mine). I do agree with your premise that most cameras today are excellent and that photographers should only switch when they find a limitation in their equipment.

As for me, I was nearing the ‘wall’ of the 5DmkIII. Had been printing larger and feeling some limitations in the sensor. Also was missing shots of my son playing indoor basketball using the 100/2.

I had just been considering a change in my Canon lenses to include the 100-400 II when the a7riii was announced and got me to rethink the body.

I ended up buying the Sony a7rIII and just sold my last Canon lens. My lenses had taken me as far as I could go and, if I ever return to the Canon system, would likely look at different ones for more creative options and reach. Thankfully, the Canon over 4 years has paid for itself many times over with print and book sales so I had the opportunity to switch systems.

As for the Sony system, I really love it. The Eye AF system is amazing. Completely changes portrait compositions. I have shot my kids on the fly (including walking backwards with camera at hip level) and nailed focus and shots the Canon would never have gotten me. I can hold one button and know the camera will grab focus on the nearest eye (or even on a face I registered if in a crowd like indoor basketball). I am then free to compose the shot without lining up the face with a designated focus point like on the 5D. The 8 FPS has gotten me shots of my son playing basketball that the Canon hadn’t.

The sensor is improved markedly at iso 100-400 and matches the 5D at higher ISOs while doubling the megapixels.

I did change over to Sony lenses and used the opportunity to get their 100-400 which opens up a lot of new options. Their 85/1.8 seems to be a marked improvement over the Canon 100/2 I had before and the 35/2.8 is at least equal to the 35/2 while being ridiculously light and small to make the camera almost point and shoot size.

Carrying the camera over a shoulder feels much better than the equivalent Canon.

It may not be the right choice for everyone but I am very happy to have ‘jumped ship’. That being said, looks like Canon may have a big mirrorless announcement coming up and I’m very curious about what they bring out.

Not a fanboy in either camp - just happy the equipment allows me to realize shots and doesn’t hold me back.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
eoren1 said:
Don Haines said:

Hi Don,

I edited your post here to focus on the original post (mine). I do agree with your premise that most cameras today are excellent and that photographers should only switch when they find a limitation in their equipment.

As for me, I was nearing the ‘wall’ of the 5DmkIII. Had been printing larger and feeling some limitations in the sensor. Also was missing shots of my son playing indoor basketball using the 100/2.

I had just been considering a change in my Canon lenses to include the 100-400 II when the a7riii was announced and got me to rethink the body.

I ended up buying the Sony a7rIII and just sold my last Canon lens. My lenses had taken me as far as I could go and, if I ever return to the Canon system, would likely look at different ones for more creative options and reach. Thankfully, the Canon over 4 years has paid for itself many times over with print and book sales so I had the opportunity to switch systems.

As for the Sony system, I really love it. The Eye AF system is amazing. Completely changes portrait compositions. I have shot my kids on the fly (including walking backwards with camera at hip level) and nailed focus and shots the Canon would never have gotten me. I can hold one button and know the camera will grab focus on the nearest eye (or even on a face I registered if in a crowd like indoor basketball). I am then free to compose the shot without lining up the face with a designated focus point like on the 5D. The 8 FPS has gotten me shots of my son playing basketball that the Canon hadn’t.

The sensor is improved markedly at iso 100-400 and matches the 5D at higher ISOs while doubling the megapixels.

I did change over to Sony lenses and used the opportunity to get their 100-400 which opens up a lot of new options. Their 85/1.8 seems to be a marked improvement over the Canon 100/2 I had before and the 35/2.8 is at least equal to the 35/2 while being ridiculously light and small to make the camera almost point and shoot size.

Carrying the camera over a shoulder feels much better than the equivalent Canon.

It may not be the right choice for everyone but I am very happy to have ‘jumped ship’. That being said, looks like Canon may have a big mirrorless announcement coming up and I’m very curious about what they bring out.

Not a fanboy in either camp - just happy the equipment allows me to realize shots and doesn’t hold me back.
Glad you are satisfied but some points:

1) 2.8 is not 2.0: This is an apples to oranges comparison. So another comparison could be with the very light 40mm 2.8 instead of the 35 2.0. Still apples to oranges but much less so. In that case the combos size and weight are close. However, I would still prefer the 35 2.0 IS...

2) 5D4 is much improved at lower ISOs and the difference in Mpixels is not night and day.

3) Sony 85 1.8 is more expensive than Canon's equivalent. It has to be better!

Having said these, contrary to many who just want to complain, your reaction (to switch systems) is both acceptable and healthy.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
eoren1 said:
Don Haines said:

Hi Don,

Sounds like a good choice to me :) The only thing that surprised me was you getting rid of the lenses.... but then again, Sony has started to put out some very interesting glass, plus Sigma ART lenses and Tamron G2 lenses are now approaching (and in some cases exceeding) L glass.... there are some good choices out there!

Personally, I have always regarded cameras as tools and between home and work, have my feet firmly planted in three camps.... I have always tried to let the task decide what gear was needed, not let the gear decide the task.... At home I get to play more, but even there what I would really like is a Canon-Olympus frankencamera...

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Sounds like a good choice to me :) The only thing that surprised me was you getting rid of the lenses.... but then again, Sony has started to put out some very interesting glass, plus Sigma ART lenses and Tamron G2 lenses are now approaching (and in some cases exceeding) L glass.... there are some good choices out there!

Personally, I have always regarded cameras as tools and between home and work, have my feet firmly planted in three camps.... I have always tried to let the task decide what gear was needed, not let the gear decide the task.... At home I get to play more, but even there what I would really like is a Canon-Olympus frankencamera...

I sold the 70-200/4 IS (But would get the 100-400 instead), 24-105/4 mk I (would get mk II if return), 17-40/4 (either 16-35/4 or 2.8 if return), 100/2 (good but not great lens, likely get 135 in future). I still haven’t sold the 35/2 IS - seriously love that lens. Adapters don’t work as well as hyped or would get one just for that lens. The Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 has nice sharpness and bokeh even though slower and is ridiculously light for a non-pancake lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
NancyP said:
I can't say that I feel the limitations seriously from my 6D and 7D2 combo, which together handle the situations in which I shoot. I could wish for more dynamic resolution.

This is why there isn't a good rebuttal to those that are butt hurt about the 6D2 sensor not getting the on-chip ADC hotness the 1DX2, 5D4 and 80D did (M5, M6 as well?). They have a fair beef there.

I say that because dynamic range is a place people run into limits all the time. In that sense, this is one specific area where someone's skill might actually be limited by the camera.

Now, we can surely debate the value of (say) 1-2 added stops of base ISO DR will do for most of us vs. the jarring [financial / lens quality / new ergonomics and controls / system reliability] reality of leaving the fold to get it. But why Canon left this tech out of the 6D2 remains a head-scratcher to me.

- A

Upvote 0