Been with Canon for 12 years - wait or jump ship?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
I am not running into DR issues even in extremely contrasty light in 'regular' scenes, see below. This is the kind of scene where previous generations of camera might have had the subject too dark.

The only time I run into DR limitations is when I have a scene with different elements illuminated by very different levels of light, inside a building and I want to show the scene outside, stage lighting of the performer and the dimmed orchestra pit, for scenes without these dramatic contrasts I find the latest models of camera easily able to deliver.

Very nice photo, and a great example of what you are talking about. Very nice!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
sama said:
Photographer David Burnett Switches to Sony After 40 Years of Canon.

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/23/photographer-david-burnett-switches-sony-40-years-shooting-canon/

So what? Obama's photographer, Pete Souza, 'swapped' to Sony, for a while, he didn't get on with them despite the several clear advantages (WYSIWYG and fully silent capture), he switched back to Canon and still uses Canon.

Upvote 0
sebasan said:
I have not being following this thread because it was initiated by a troll, but Arthur Morris change Canon for Nikon, maybe it was mentioned before, but it is a great shock for me.

Seriously?!?!

I started this thread asking a legitimate question. I had hoped that others might have thoughts on Sony bodies having come from Canon ones.

I did receive some great advice and ended up deciding that the Sony a7rIII offered advantages my Canon 5DmkIII did not have and am happy to have switched. I have come back to this thread periodically to update on my findings with the Sony to help anyone else in the same boat.

I'm surprised this thread has gone to 15 pages now and hope it has been helpful for anyone else on the fence - either to stay or go. I do not own stock in either company so have no stake in other photographer's choices either way.

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:
sebasan said:
I have not being following this thread because it was initiated by a troll, but Arthur Morris change Canon for Nikon, maybe it was mentioned before, but it is a great shock for me.

Seriously?!?!

I started this thread asking a legitimate question. I had hoped that others might have thoughts on Sony bodies having come from Canon ones.

I did receive some great advice and ended up deciding that the Sony a7rIII offered advantages my Canon 5DmkIII did not have and am happy to have switched. I have come back to this thread periodically to update on my findings with the Sony to help anyone else in the same boat.

I'm surprised this thread has gone to 15 pages now and hope it has been helpful for anyone else on the fence - either to stay or go. I do not own stock in either company so have no stake in other photographer's choices either way.

Now you have been using the Sony A7 r3 for a while I would be interested to hear what you think of it. How does it compare with the Canon 5D mark 3? In particular, which features are an improvement on the Canon and is there anything you miss that was better on the 5D mk3?

Upvote 0
Ian_of_glos said:
Now you have been using the Sony A7 r3 for a while I would be interested to hear what you think of it. How does it compare with the Canon 5D mark 3? In particular, which features are an improvement on the Canon and is there anything you miss that was better on the 5D mk3?

Hey Ian,

Honestly, I am really pleased with the a7rIII
1. Ergonomics - it is smaller in hand but, especially after adding the RRS L bracket, I have found it very comfortable. Without the bracket, your pinkie finger dangles under the camera. The bracket offers just enough thickness to offset that.

2. Features that MkIII does not have
-Eye AF - seriously amazing tech - especially with native lenses though my Canon 35/2 IS works great via Metabones V adapter. I have a button dedicated to Eye AF (like back button focus on the 5DMkIII) and am free to compose shots better without having to line up an eye with a specific focus point or do a focus/recompose. Also, you can shoot a face and register it ahead of time. I've done this with my 12 year old playing indoor basketball and the camera is able to pick him out of the crowd 8-9 times out of 10.
- FPS - technically the camera does 10fps but then you get blackouts. I use 'high' at 8fps and have had FAR more keepers in basketball than with the 5D
- Articulated screen - nice to have
- Video with focusing - impressive. Can set pull focus speed to fast/normal/slow. Also can push on touchscreen lcd in back to set a focus point
- DR - I know this gets talked about a lot but I can push files far more from this camera than the Canon in real world situations
- Battery life - Apparently the a7rII was terrrible but the III easily matches the Canon in real use
- Customization - almost too many options as evidenced by the menu system but once you go through it carefully, it really does have so many improvements in allowing photographers to truly customize the camera for their style of shooting

3. Missing from 5D...
- The two things I have not gotten used to are switching lenses - they go on/off in same direction but button to release is near hand grip rather than Canon location. Also zooms rotate opposite of Canon
- Apparently Sony's have less weather sealing than the 5D but can't comment on that
- No top LCD like on Canon nor the dedicated button for WB but, as above, can customize any button for that (just not the same without the label)
- Damn camera doesn't have a 'soft' off mode that I can find. Turns on fast enough but leaving on, the back LCD is constantly ON. Seems dumb.

4. Lenses - the Sony 24-105 seems better than my Canon 24-105mk I and the Sony 100-400 is excellent as is their 85/1.8. I was not happy with the copy of the 16-35/4 and am considering using my Canon 17-40 with the Metabones adapter. Going to test that against a replacement 16-35.
No equivalent for the Canon 35/2 - I bought the 35/2.8 which is crazy small/light but a full stop slower and crazy expensive (it's going back to BH). The 35/1.4s are plentiful but too big/heavy for my taste. Going to keep the Canon on metabones until Sigma or someone else puts out a nice 35/2
Sony is missing long primes but I don't shoot those

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:
- DR - I know this gets talked about a lot but I can push files far more from this camera than the Canon in real world situations
- Battery life - Apparently the a7rII was terrrible but the III easily matches the Canon in real use
- Customization - almost too many options as evidenced by the menu system but once you go through it carefully, it really does have so many improvements in allowing photographers to truly customize the camera for their style of shooting

3. Missing from 5D...

- No top LCD like on Canon nor the dedicated button for WB but, as above, can customize any button for that (just not the same without the label)
- Damn camera doesn't have a 'soft' off mode that I can find. Turns on fast enough but leaving on, the back LCD is constantly ON. Seems dumb.

A couple of things I would comment on as someone who used Canon for years then a a7r, and now I have both the a7r2 and a7r3.

The new battery is great, I shot all day and was at about 40% mostly screen on and tethered. I didn't really mind the smaller a7r2 batteries, I just would take a few with me but I don't know if I need all of the extra batteries for the a7r3. The new battery is about the size as a 5D battery.

I have the Sony cameras set to switch to viewfinder and rear LCD depending if I bring it to my face or not. You can turn off the rear LCD in the display button settings. I have it set to toggle from all settings, shutter/aperture only, level and then display off.

There are 4 open customizable buttons so you can find a place for WB or map any of the other dedicated buttons to whatever is more convenient for you.

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Hey Ian,

1. Ergonomics - it is smaller in hand but, especially after adding the RRS L bracket, I have found it very comfortable. Without the bracket, your pinkie finger dangles under the camera. The bracket offers just enough thickness to offset that.

-Eye AF - seriously amazing tech - especially with native lenses though my Canon 35/2 IS works great via Metabones V adapter. I have a button dedicated to Eye AF (like back button focus on the 5DMkIII) and am free to compose shots better without having to line up an eye with a specific focus point or do a focus/recompose. Also, you can shoot a face and register it ahead of time. I've done this with my 12 year old playing indoor basketball and the camera is able to pick him out of the crowd 8-9 times out of 10.
- FPS - technically the camera does 10fps but then you get blackouts. I use 'high' at 8fps and have had FAR more keepers in basketball than with the 5D
- Video with focusing - impressive. Can set pull focus speed to fast/normal/slow. Also can push on touchscreen lcd in back to set a focus point

3. Missing from 5D...
- The two things I have not gotten used to are switching lenses - they go on/off in same direction but button to release is near hand grip rather than Canon location. Also zooms rotate opposite of Canon
- Apparently Sony's have less weather sealing than the 5D but can't comment on that

4. Lenses - the Sony 24-105 seems better than my Canon 24-105mk I and the Sony 100-400 is excellent as is their 85/1.8. I was not happy with the copy of the 16-35/4 and am considering using my Canon 17-40 with the Metabones adapter. Going to test that against a replacement 16-35.
No equivalent for the Canon 35/2 - I bought the 35/2.8 which is crazy small/light but a full stop slower and crazy expensive (it's going back to BH). The 35/1.4s are plentiful but too big/heavy for my taste. Going to keep the Canon on metabones until Sigma or someone else puts out a nice 35/2

Hope that helps.

Thank you - I found your summary very helpful indeed. Not sure that I am ready to jump ship just yet, but it is certainly food for thought.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ian_of_glos said:
eoren1 said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Hey Ian,

3. Missing from 5D...

Hope that helps.

Thank you - I found your summary very helpful indeed. Not sure that I am ready to jump ship just yet, but it is certainly food for thought.

It would be nice to see some actual "real world" samples of that. I just don't believe that to be the case nowadays.

Or, more relevantly, why not compare the 5D MkIV to the A7RIII?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Ian_of_glos said:
eoren1 said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Hey Ian,

3. Missing from 5D...

Hope that helps.

It would be nice to see some actual "real world" samples of that. I just don't believe that to be the case nowadays.

+1 I was about to mention 5DMkIV. Plus, I cannot understand how the advantages of 5D are mentioned in a negative way as "3. "Missing from 5D..." It should say either Missing from Sony (they are not missing from 5D obviously) or 5D advantages...

Upvote 0
tron said:
privatebydesign said:
Ian_of_glos said:
eoren1 said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Hey Ian,

3. Missing from 5D...

Hope that helps.

+1 I was about to mention 5DMkIV. Plus, I cannot understand how the advantages of 5D are mentioned in a negative way as "3. "Missing from 5D..." It should say either Missing from Sony (they are not missing from 5D obviously) or 5D advantages...

He was asked " is there anything you miss that was better on the 5D mk3?" he listed things he missed from the 5d3. The question wasn't about a 5d4.

I owned a 5d3 and just sold it, with the intentions of purchasing an a7riii, so this is at the least relative to me.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I would like to update you all about my experience.

Sony A7R III v1.01 + Metabones V v0.57 + :

Canon 35 F2 - AF amazingly accurate and fast. Nothing more to tell, simply great.

Canon 16-35 F4 - Sucks so so so hard but so hard....cannot focus on shadows/dark areas. Bright area no issues, fast and accurate.

Canon 16-35 F4 was my main lens with Canon body, I'm kind regret in switching to Sony due to this AF issue.

Anybody else experienced the same result ?

I'm getting depressed ... :(

Upvote 0