Bees, almost bees, wasp, flies...

Aug 10, 2021
Indeed - impressive! BTW the insects don't exist to give you a nightmares - they are still around just trying to survive the pressure from the humans...
Exactly true! I don't really have nightmares about insects. I like to joke, but I do occasionally have a nightmare about forgetting homework or forgetting to study for that exam - from more years ago than I want to admit.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I don't really have nightmares about insects.
this wasp gives some cockroaches nightmares:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp

Female wasps of this species were reported to sting a cockroach (specifically a Periplaneta americana, Periplaneta australasiae, or Nauphoeta rhombifolia)[2] twice, delivering venom. Researchers[7] using radioactive labeling demonstrated that the wasp stings precisely into specific ganglia of the roach. It delivers an initial sting to a thoracic ganglion and injects venom to mildly and reversibly paralyze the front legs of its victim. A biochemically-induced transient paralysis takes over the cockroach,[8] where the temporary loss of mobility facilitates the second venomous sting at a precise spot in the victim's head ganglia (brain), in the section that controls the escape reflex. As a result of this sting, the roach will first groom extensively, and then become sluggish and fail to show normal escape responses.[9] The venom is reported to block receptors for the neurotransmitter octopamine.[10]

Once the host is incapacitated, the wasp proceeds to chew off half of each of the roach's antennae, after which it carefully feeds from exuding hemolymph.[2][3] The wasp, which is too small to carry the roach, then leads the victim to the wasp's burrow, by pulling one of the roach's antennae in a manner similar to a leash. In the burrow, the wasp will lay one or two white eggs, about 2 mm long, between the roach's legs.[3] It then exits and proceeds to fill in the burrow entrance with any surrounding debris, more to keep other predators and competitors out than to keep the roach in.
R5 + RF 100L
Emerald cockroach wasp.jpg
Emerald cockroach wasp_02.jpg
Shot in our local zoo through glass

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Cool metallic colour.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
this wasp gives some cockroaches nightmares:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp

R5 + RF 100L
View attachment 216227
View attachment 216228
Shot in our local zoo through glass
I've read about them, but never seen on even in a zoo. I know in USA, many people feel revolution about cockroaches, but it Japan the perception seems to be more like any other bug. Depending on where we live, we might think these wasps offer a just fait.
They certainly are beautiful and your photos captured them so well!

Thanks for sharing- I'm going to hide under my blanket and suck my thumb in the fetal position

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I've read about them, but never seen on even in a zoo. I know in USA, many people feel revolution about cockroaches, but it Japan the perception seems to be more like any other bug. Depending on where we live, we might think these wasps offer a just fait.
They certainly are beautiful and your photos captured them so well!

Thanks for sharing- I'm going to hide under my blanket and suck my thumb in the fetal position
Never come on Hawaii - these are pretty common here:D!

DSC_9310_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_9381_DxO-1_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
WOW Very nice shots, ISv.
Thanks Click: 500mm lens - best for "macro"... at least for some "models":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:: in this case the Opanda iexif says 2.99 meters (500PF has MFD 3.00 meters but it worked in this case?)...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
haha
I will probably fall asleep with my mouth open and one of these wasps will crawl in and ley it's eggs in my stomach...:eek:

Joking aside, really those are amazing shots! What kind of cactus is it?
It's in botanical garden but I never looked for the labels. Looks like kind of Cereus to me.
Yesterday I was again in that botanical garden and took a photo of flower (same species of cactus, you can see it in the "Flowers and..." topic). These are tall cacti - some of them were more than 4 meters tall. The danger from the wasps is zero, the danger from the needles of all these "hedgehogs" surrounding you is real when taking photos - talking by experience!

Upvote 0