Before you upgrade to Lightroom 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

Jun 11, 2011
... check system requirments. Just about punched in my online order for LR4 when I decided I better check system requirements. Good thing I did since I'm still running XP and according to sys requirements, Vista w/SP2 or Win 7 w/SP1 is required. Planning to upgrade to Windows 7 in the near future, so a bit of a delay for me.

Hopefully this will warn other XP users upgrading to LR4.

System requirements
Windows

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
2GB of RAM
1GB of available hard-disk space
1024x768 display
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*
Mac OS

Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
2GB of RAM
1GB of available hard-disk space
1024x768 display
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Edit: This appears to be a 64 bit issue

P

photophreek

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on the Adobe forums since the beta version of LR 4 was released. From the discussions, it appears that the video editing features of LR 4 are the reason for going to Win 7. Win XP is supported in the release of CS 6. I've also heard of the pending release of Win 8 to coincide with Intel's next gen of processors. When all the dust settles later this year and into 2013, LR 5 will be out. I'm sitting tight on any decision to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Gotta love the massive screwing by Adobe as well.

Planned a Beta in January (i.e. LR 4 soon to be released) so dumped versions of 3 over the holidays from anywhere from $99 to $149... Which is not bad considering the $299 retail... Then within 8 - 10 weeks releases LR 4 at $149 with $79 Upgrade...

So for anyone who purchased in December... LOL you paid $180 or more for LR 4.

Cha-Ching...

Now that is a classic screwing I have not seen in a long time

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Love the logic on this forum.

When Canon raises the price of the 5D to $3,500 they are screwing consumers.

When Adobe lowers the price of Lightroom to $149 they are screwing consumers.

Sounds to me that it is the companies that are screwed no matter what they do.

Upvote 0
S

SRHelicity

unfocused said:

It's the same reason why we wouldn't see a significant (>10%) drop in the price of the 5D3 for a while. If Canon were to drop the price suddenly, the earliest adopters would scream about how they got 'screwed' (the exact thing happened with the iPhone -- the folks who bought in the first couple of months were given $ credits by Apple, if I recall correctly).

Now, it would be suboptimal had you purchased LR3 during Christmas shopping season when the best sales were down near $99, but that's still better than paying full price in October or November. The fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be that "last person who paid full price" whenever there's a price reduction. I wouldn't complain about it -- it's just bad luck or bad planning. We knew LR4 was coming this year, and it was suspected that the beta was going to be free to try, which is why I held off purchase LR3 last fall. I don't really do any commercial photography now, so I get the added benefit of the academic/student license pricing as well ($79). Add this with the ridiculous CS5.5 deals Adobe was (maybe still is) running -- I picked up CS5.5 Production Premium on the Adobe website for $89! -- and I can only say "Woot!".

[I know CS6 is going to be out soon. But $89 for CS5.5 Production Premium is too good to pass up. If I need, I can purchase Photoshop CS6 separately at a later time since I can't imagine I'll need/want to upgrade the other components to CS6]

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Maui5150 said:

Planned a Beta in January (i.e. LR 4 soon to be released) so dumped versions of 3 over the holidays from anywhere from $99 to $149... Which is not bad considering the $299 retail... Then within 8 - 10 weeks releases LR 4 at $149 with $79 Upgrade...

Cha-Ching...

OMG, how dare they offer a discount to people who needed or wanted LR3 in December almost 3 months before LR4 was due to be released. That's just despicable.

Upvote 0
O

or8it

Maui5150 said:

Cha-Ching...

Unless your running Windows XP of course ;)

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

Most companies offer "FREE" upgrades or highly discounted upgrades to customers who purchase a product right before an unannounced upgrade. At time of purchase, no beta or imminent release of LR4 was out there.

In fact, I just got one of those from NIK when I had purchased their suite and I forget which one of their components basically had just got upgraded, and they gave me the new version.

If is pretty much a standard practice "Customers who have purchased version X within last 60 or 90 or what ever days"

Upvote 0
O

or8it

Upvote 0
Emeyerphoto said:
Does anyone know if it will maintain LR3 settings? I have images that were edited with LR3 and I don't want to lose those same settings. I don't want to import my library and then realize that the adjustments made to those images are totally fouled up.

Thank you for any responses in advance

Hope this helps ;) Copied from DPReview http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7481161037/lightroom-4-review

Lightroom 4 introduces Process Version (PV) 2012. What's a process version and why should you care? Well, it's the image processing engine behind Lightroom (and Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw plug-in). The Lightroom engineers make periodic tweaks to its components to provide better image rendering and/or enable new editing functionality. While the rendering performance sees some minor changes, PV2012 stands out by introducing a redesigned and recalibrated set of the Develop module's Basic panel tools, along with more localized editing options. Simply put, PV2012 is of huge consequence for every serious Lightroom user. Its changes are significant and will have a direct effect on your editing workflow.

As with the introduction of previous process versions, Lightroom, by default honors the current (in this case PV2010) process version of your existing images. If you desire, you can simply go on working as you always have. But should you choose to update an image to PV2012, a whole host of new functionality awaits.

Basic panel

Select any image in the Develop module that was imported in Lightroom 3 or earlier and you'll notice a warning icon in the lower right (shown below), indicating the image has not been updated to PV2012.

A warning icon appears at the bottom of the Develop module when an image processed via PV2010 or earlier (circled in red) is displayed.
After clicking the icon you can choose to update the selected image or all images in the filmstrip. Once an image is updated to PV2012 you will notice a revised collection of tools in the Basic Panel (shown below), as well as a noticeable change to the appearance of your image.

Upvote 0
Warninglabel said:
Emeyerphoto said:
Does anyone know if it will maintain LR3 settings? I have images that were edited with LR3 and I don't want to lose those same settings. I don't want to import my library and then realize that the adjustments made to those images are totally fouled up.

Thank you for any responses in advance

Hope this helps ;) Copied from DPReview http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7481161037/lightroom-4-review

Lightroom 4 introduces Process Version (PV) 2012. What's a process version and why should you care? Well, it's the image processing engine behind Lightroom (and Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw plug-in). The Lightroom engineers make periodic tweaks to its components to provide better image rendering and/or enable new editing functionality. While the rendering performance sees some minor changes, PV2012 stands out by introducing a redesigned and recalibrated set of the Develop module's Basic panel tools, along with more localized editing options. Simply put, PV2012 is of huge consequence for every serious Lightroom user. Its changes are significant and will have a direct effect on your editing workflow.

As with the introduction of previous process versions, Lightroom, by default honors the current (in this case PV2010) process version of your existing images. If you desire, you can simply go on working as you always have. But should you choose to update an image to PV2012, a whole host of new functionality awaits.

Basic panel

Select any image in the Develop module that was imported in Lightroom 3 or earlier and you'll notice a warning icon in the lower right (shown below), indicating the image has not been updated to PV2012.

A warning icon appears at the bottom of the Develop module when an image processed via PV2010 or earlier (circled in red) is displayed.
After clicking the icon you can choose to update the selected image or all images in the filmstrip. Once an image is updated to PV2012 you will notice a revised collection of tools in the Basic Panel (shown below), as well as a noticeable change to the appearance of your image.

Thank you very much for that info.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

dirtcastle said:
Just curious... are people using XP for financial reasons or personal preference?

I think most people that are using XP are doing so because upgrading does not actually get them much. While some people love getting new OSes, most people only upgrade when either (a) the get a new computer or (b) some bit of hardware or software only works with a newer version. The OS itself rarely offers anything all that compelling or better functioning then earlier versions since most people tend to use them as little more then application launchers and file browsers.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
dirtcastle said:
Just curious... are people using XP for financial reasons or personal preference?
In some cases it can be the result of compatibility reasons. My main system is a corporate laptop running XP and I can't change it as some corporate software will cease to run, while my home systems have either Vista or Win7. As I said, I do not have the option of upgrading my main laptop so I will stick with LR3 for now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.