Best creative mode (other than M) for E-TTL flash photography

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
typically events where they want real time social media output, I shoot RAW and jpeg, if the images don’t need much fettling I’ll give them the jpeg for speed, if they need a bit more pulling and pushing I’ll adjust the RAW file and then give them a jpeg. .
Yes indeed. A genuinely useful use for two cards slots !!

(P.S. Did you get my files ?)

VegasCameraGuy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jul 9, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
Indoors, I try to let the flash supply the light and outdoors just use fill flash.

It's interesting that the R5 has three settings for flash (1) Fill, (2) Standard (whatever that means), and (3) Flash.

I haven't had a chance to really work with flash but it seems like the control is improved over the older design that PBD & MK Guy talked about.

My schedule has been so hectic lately that I haven't been able to experiment with flash but that's high on my list. I'm hoping that based upon the menu selections that you can more easily select fill flash or entirely light the scene with flash.

My primarily flash units are 360watt second Godox units and even bare tube firing into an umbrella, I can typically light an entire room at ISO 100 and f8 using the normal room lighting as a fill.

What I'm planning is to set the shutter speed to 1/60 - 1/200th and Av at f8 and shoot on auto and not manual with the camera set for flash priority. My hope is that will work properly. I don't like to use manual because it adds another layer of complexity. It's too easy to forget a setting and then realize you've screwed up a bunch of shots.

snegri45

I'm New Here
Jun 20, 2017
New York City
Since this is still going, and also has evolved a bit, let me jump back in. When I have had enough prep time at a location I have occasionally done as Vegas and lit the whole room with studio type AC strobes, usually Adorama Budget Flash 160 or 300. Put one in each corner, bounce it into the wall/ceiling corner and you will have pretty constant manual exposure anywhere and in any direction. It makes life easy.

Experienced photographers adjusting the flash manually? Haven't done that since the eighties. H'blad, Distagon 50, Vericolor(?) 160, 1/60 sec, f/8, and always keep 8' distance, and you got proper exposure and focus with the proper manual flash setting. There was often a significant "Deer caught in the headlight" look to the subjects, though. So this old and (hopefully) experienced photographer is a dedicated fan of E-TTL II. The flash is a lot smarter than me (doesn't really take a lot) and it sure thinks a lot faster than me.

The young lady eating chicken was shot using the "Blast the Room!" approach. My own approach was a bit messed up, however. No need to use ISO 400 or f/14, ISO 100 and f/ 5.6 or 7.1 would have been just fine. I should also probably have used "Cloudy" white balance on the camera. Live and learn!

The two little girls were lit similarly, but with a spot of fill flash. The two foxy ladies were shot with fairly crappy ambient overhead light and again a bit of Speedlite ceiling bounced fill. The commonality is that in each situation I had time to evaluate the ambient and decide to work with it or against it. But in more fluid situations it gets to be use all the helpful kinds of Auto settings the fabulous Canon eco system gives us, and if need be, adjust in post. All the client wants are great photos that are technically proficient but with GREAT emotions, expressions, and feelings. Let the camera do the proficiency while you work on the emotional part.

_MG_9627.JPG

Em_68B2342.JPG

EmIMG_9800.JPG