600 EX-RT for fill-in with burst : flash did not fire at each shot...

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
markojakatri said:
I've find a cool way to use safety shift in 5D III. If you use Tv mode and safety shift (ISO), camera will use as high ISO as needed. It actually works identically w/wo flash.

... but be careful, because reaching the highest iso setting you chose, it'll ignore your shutter speed preference and simply expose as long as required not matter if it's practical to handhold it any longer, that's why disable safety shift in tv mode. Better to get a more "flashy" picture than a blurry one with nice ambient.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
... but be careful, because reaching the highest iso setting you chose, it'll ignore your shutter speed preference and simply expose as long as required not matter if it's practical to handhold it any longer, that's why disable safety shift in tv mode. Better to get a more "flashy" picture than a blurry one with nice ambient.

Yep, that's true. When it is dark enough, I change to manual and use bounced flash or two as main light(s).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Skulker said:
Marsu42 said:
Skulker said:
I start with the assumption that Canon know a lot more about making cameras than I do.

That's the spirit, I'll remember to nominate you for the "Canon compliance of the year" award :p ... but you're correct, not every design decision is "crippling", but as it happens this one is different because ML has proven that auto iso with flash is no problem at all - you can use other iso settings manually, so there is really no reason why the camera shouldn't be able to select the iso according to the ambient light as usual and then let ettl decide the rest.

You mean as my 1Dx does, as I just pointed out. ;D

I guess your 1Dx is different from my 1D X. ;)

The issue at hand is when a Speedlite is attached, Canon cameras default to ISO 400 when they are set to Auto ISO. Are you saying your camera does something different?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The issue at hand is when a Speedlite is attached, Canon cameras default to ISO 400 when they are set to Auto ISO. Are you saying your camera does something different?

This is a problem for me as I take a lot of photos at parties and weddings where ambient light creates the atmosphere of the picture, but is volatile.
I need auto iso to work there between like 1600-6400 depending on the configuration of the lights at that second.
Either that or I have to fix my flash output and change this depending on my distance to the subject, but on a dancefloor this not possible to do well.

Reading this topic I have failed to understand why this fixed iso 400 is a reasonable thing as somebody said that the camera works just as fine with auto-iso plus flash running ML.

Upvote 0
kang159 said:
woah...poor OP must have no idea what's going on... :eek:

I hope the discussion doesn't sound too heated :p ... but what he (and I when I got my dslr) had/has no idea what's going on about is that the camera suddenly locks to iso 400 if you enable the flash from Rebel to 1dx - imho it's just like the previous poster stated: auto iso with flash can make sense, it works with ML, and it's difficult to understand why it doesn't by default. Maybe a feature reserved for 5d4, 6d2, 80d just like ec in m mode :-> ?

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Skulker said:
Marsu42 said:
Skulker said:
I start with the assumption that Canon know a lot more about making cameras than I do.

That's the spirit, I'll remember to nominate you for the "Canon compliance of the year" award :p ... but you're correct, not every design decision is "crippling", but as it happens this one is different because ML has proven that auto iso with flash is no problem at all - you can use other iso settings manually, so there is really no reason why the camera shouldn't be able to select the iso according to the ambient light as usual and then let ettl decide the rest.

You mean as my 1Dx does, as I just pointed out. ;D

I guess your 1Dx is different from my 1D X. ;)

I'm not sure if mine is diferent to yours? Send me yours so I can carry out some tests if you like. :)

I use a 580ex11 on camera or on an extension lead., and most of the time it defaults to ISO400. But sometimes it goes to ISO6400. The manual indicates that it will go to ISO1600. I freely admit I'm out of my depth with flash. I hardly ever use it and find it a bit of a black art. Why the owl shot I put in this tread was at ISO1600 and the one next to it was at ISO400 I have no idea. There is a color cast to the owl so maybe the flash was overheating?

Upvote 0