BG-E11 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flake

Not sure if this is the first post, but there seems to have been little interest in the grip, but I have a couple of questions, one of which will probably not be answered until it goes on sale.

First one is that it seems from the pics of the alloy shell that the batteries will go in from the side like the 1D series instead of from the back in the BG-E6. If this is the case then the batteries will need a carrier, but I do wonder why a battery grip couldn't have the NP-E3 type battery pack of the 1D series?

The second is the issue that the battery grip has had with compromising the weather sealing, not just on the 5D MkII but others when water entered through the cameras battery compartment. I doubt anyone can answer this unless Canon has mentioned it or they've asked a rep.

I like a battery grip, it makes the camera much easier for me in portrait, especially with an extra set of controls.

Canon doesn't want to open pandora's box by forcing it's user to have to deal w/ purchasing a different type of battery just to use the grip, they know users wouldn't forgive them for it. I'm actually pretty happy the 5D3 uses the same batteries as the 5D2/7D - whenever I upgrade, I'll already have a few spares.

As for weather-sealing between the body and the grip, I haven't heard/read anything about that yet, but hopefully Canon's got a solution for that this time around...

Upvote 0
Yes, the batteries load from the side. The sealing is much better than the BG-E6 grip, to the same standard as the camera. It is also moulded to the shape of the body, so gives a much tighter fit. I saw a side by side comparison between the MkII and its grip with the MkIII and its grip yesterday, the old style showed daylight between them, the new one was very tight.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mbiedermann said:
According to Canon's press release: "The BG-E11 is made from sturdy magnesium alloy and has the same degree of weather resistance as the EOS 5D Mark III"

Not as much as you'd think. The thing is, the BG-E7 (for the 7D) was billed as having the same level of sealing as the 7D (wihch is also the same level of sealing as the 5DIII). That's nice - you have a sealed body and a sealed grip. The problem is that to use the grip, you need to attach it to the body, and that's where there's a disturbing lack of sealing. Battery door of the 7D is sealed, but the sealing is on the door itself, which is removed when the grip is attached. There is no foam-rubber sealing on the grip that corresponds to the sealing on the battery door of the body, meaning it's a plastoc-on-plastic junction, and the only thing preventing water from entering the battery compartment with the grip attached is gravity, assuming the camera is upraght when rained on/splashed.

I assume the above is the issue which the OP is getting at, and it really depends on whether Canon actually included specific seals at the junction of the grip and battery compartment. If not, it's the same as the 7D and 5DII - a weak point in the sealing. It really doesn't matter if you can't see light between the two - water doesn't need that much of a gap (and in fact, a smaller gap can actually draw the water in by capillary action). This issue is one reason which inclines me to the 1D X.

Upvote 0
C

capertillar

general question about the whole weather sealing thing... do people plan to actually go diving with this camera? i mean, ive gotten rain on all kinds of electronic equipment, phone/laptop/etc and ive had no problems whatsoever with it. i imagine these cameras wont be much different. now if the weather sealing can save it from being dropped in a large body of water... then yes, id fight for that kind of sealing, but otherwise, i doubt we'll see too many problems related to water intrusion

it just sounds like some people want the camera shrink wrapped or something... lol

Upvote 0
capertillar said:
it just sounds like some people want the camera shrink wrapped or something... lol

LOL indeed! :) As long as it's better than the MkII I'll be happy. I've shot plenty of weddings in moderate rain with the MkII without any issues. Of course you need to make sure the lens is sealed as well, so L lenses all the way, plus front filters for some. I read somewhere it has similar weather seals to the 1D MkIV (not the same build, just the same seals), so hopefully that's true. In any case I'll be investing in rain covers for the MkIII, just in case I need to shoot in heavy rain. I'd do the same for the 1-series (if I owned one). Just because it's rated to shoot in bad weather doesn't mean I would always take a chance, not when irreplaceable wedding photos are concerned.

Common sense also comes into play. If you're shooting your kids on a beach and decide to change lenses, don't blame the camera if you get fine sand or dust on the sensor, or worse yet, sea mist.

I'd love to get grips for each of my MkIII bodies, but will see closer to the time. Interesting that the grips will only ship a month after the camera.

Upvote 0
capertillar said:
general question about the whole weather sealing thing...

Water on a weather resistant camera is one thing.
Water into the battery compartment potentially able to short circuit your camera's internals?

120303_5d3_23l.jpg

http://www.dcfever.com/articles/news/2012/03/120303_5d3_23l.jpg from http://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=6365

Hard to tell if it's a rubber seal but someone with more knowledge of the shape might be able to tell.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Flake said:
Not sure if this is the first post, but there seems to have been little interest in the grip, but I have a couple of questions, one of which will probably not be answered until it goes on sale.

but I do wonder why a battery grip couldn't have the NP-E3 type battery pack of the 1D series?

The really old and heavy 12 volt LP-E3 nimh batteries were superceded years ago by Lithium ION. most were very happy to get the much lighter batteries in the 1D MK III and 1DS MK III series. Now, to meet improved savety of lipon, there are new series 1 that cost $170 ea

The 5D series cameras use 7.4 volt batteries, so 12 volts will not work. They also cost a lot less.

Having two different batteries and chargers for one camera would also be a big additional expense.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Axilrod said:
For $500 it better be the best battery grip ever made, seriously. But yeah I'm pretty sure it's rear-loading like the 5DII grip, and is better built.

Actually, Rob Wiebe already posted a link showing the batteries load from the side. The good thing about this design is the vertical grip has a better contour, which should make it easier to hold. :D

Oh, and if anyone was still wondering (there was another thread about this): the pin-outs for the BG-E6 and BG-E11 are completely different, so there's no chance of using the older grip on the newer body or vice-versa. :(

120303_5d3_25l.jpg

http://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=6365

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tt said:
Hard to tell if it's a rubber seal but someone with more knowledge of the shape might be able to tell.

Looking up close at the higher res images now available, there's no sealing on the grip itself where it mates with the camera battery compartment. What I haven't seen is the battery door of the 5DIII, but assuming the sealing is there and on not on the camera (as it is on other bodies), that means no weather sealing between grip and body.

The good news is that B&H has the grip listed for $350 instead of the MSRP...

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
tt said:

Looking up close at the higher res images now available, there's no sealing on the grip itself where it mates with the camera battery compartment. What I haven't seen is the battery door of the 5DIII, but assuming the sealing is there and on not on the camera (as it is on other bodies), that means no weather sealing between grip and body.

The good news is that B&H has the grip listed for $350 instead of the MSRP...
Ask and ye shall receive! ;) It looks like a bit of foam on the door itself, but not much else.

ZTECHBATTERY.JPG

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiA.HTM

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.