Big question, Sir/ Madame, about when I should take the shots.

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Teachers and friends.
I love to take the photos of any things in front of me, just for my record of the picture( My Photojournalistic style) in that mili-second moment.
Last week end, There are " The ANIMAZEMENT FESTIVAL/ CONVENTION " in my home city, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA. We ( my son and me) went to take the photos of Heros, Heroins, Evils and the Good guys/ Gals.
The question for you, Sir/ Madame---After we come back home, My son look at the photos and Tell me that. " I should not take any photos , when the people eating or make -up their face" , I should take their pictures only when they post the perfected ACTION.
Is my son = Right ?
Here are the photos that he told me do not take this kind of Photos again, It not good for the people in the Picture.
Thank you, Sir/ Madame and my dear Teachers.
Surapon

Attachments

• 2H9A0477.JPG
    2H9A0477.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 293

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Last week end, There are " The ANIMAZEMENT FESTIVAL/ CONVENTION " in my home city, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA. We ( my son and me) went to take the photos of Heros, Heroins, Evils and the Good guys/ Gals.

Attachments

• 2H9A0416.JPG
    2H9A0416.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 2H9A0425.JPG
    2H9A0425.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
  • 2H9A0426.JPG
    2H9A0426.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • 2H9A0448.JPG
    2H9A0448.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0940-2.JPG
    IMG_0940-2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0938-2.JPG
    IMG_0938-2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0936-3.JPG
    IMG_0936-3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0862-2.JPG
    IMG_0862-2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0874-2.JPG
    IMG_0874-2.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0875-2.JPG
    IMG_0875-2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0893-2.JPG
    IMG_0893-2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
Dear friend Surapon.

The work of photojournalist is to show the facts, whether beautiful or not. On the other hand, the photographer hired for organizing the event (or the artist) should show the most beautiful, correct, appropriate times.

If you are shooting just for their own fun, do what you will, but do not disclose the photos of moments "ugly".

The Facebook generation is accustomed to cuidadosamemte posed shots (poses tasteless), and does not value candid shots. If you like the photos of the "ugly" moments, so have fun with your hobby.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
As I've been clear before, I prefer to take photos when I know people will not mind. In this case, I'd agree with your son on eating photos since that's downtime from cosplay. Doing make-up in public, on the other hand, is part of it, and I would think it's OK so long as it's not unflattering. I would choose not to take photos of "wardrobe malfunctions" or basic maintenance (reinforcing supports, etc). However, photos in public of cosplayers doing their face make-up does seem legitimate to me.

Nice photos, by the way.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Thousand thanks, to Dear Teachers and Friends.
Thanks for your Opinion, your expertise and your comments , that I have learn from you again.
One most important thing that I have learn from you to day, Plus I have learn from my dear son = Do the best as I can for the hobby that I love, BUT, I must concern about the effect of the photos , which might harm the feeling of the people , who I shoot.
Yes, I never think about that before, I just shoot and shoot for the recorded photos plus the story teller pictures.
Have a great Thursday, Sir/ Madame.
Surapon.

PS. If you have free time, Please go to the Shutterfly Link attached below for 490 Photos of "ANIMAZEMENT Convention"---Yes, With out (Deleted Photos) of eating time.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbMnLlozaM3DEMA

Upvote 0
It does come down to empathy or concern for the subject. This is an ethical decision that goes far beyond whether one has a "legal" right to take the photograph. The ethics of photographers varies.

If you are documenting the application and removal of the make-up, then by all means take pictures, with their permission, of the make up process. On the other hand, if you are documenting the final product, then I think you should wait until they are finished and "in role".

To me, it comes down to whether you respect the subjects as people or are they just props for your photography. Each photographer has to decide this for themselves.

To me, if my photography can make someone feel uncomfortable, I don't want to do it. Other photographers don't have empathy for the feelings of the subject.

Like all ethical issues, it is not always easy to decide.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
AcutancePhotography said:
It does come down to empathy or concern for the subject. This is an ethical decision that goes far beyond whether one has a "legal" right to take the photograph. The ethics of photographers varies.

If you are documenting the application and removal of the make-up, then by all means take pictures, with their permission, of the make up process. On the other hand, if you are documenting the final product, then I think you should wait until they are finished and "in role".

To me, it comes down to whether you respect the subjects as people or are they just props for your photography. Each photographer has to decide this for themselves.

To me, if my photography can make someone feel uncomfortable, I don't want to do it. Other photographers don't have empathy for the feelings of the subject.

Like all ethical issues, it is not always easy to decide.

+10

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

I think it comes down to are you taking snapshots (journalistic) or are you taking photographs. From what I see at most cos-play conventions... everyone takes snapshots. They could care less about backgrounds or imperfection (like mouths open, eating, closed eyes, etc).

You need to ask yourself if you really care? Are you there to document and just have fun? Or are you there to have fun and take quality photographs.

I started going to these years ago and in the beginning was doing what you are...documenting/journalistic in nature. A million photos that mattered the least because they were uninteresting candid's. About 4 years ago I started to take my professional lighting to these events and handing out cards. I realized there was a tremendous photography potential I was wasting and I wanted to do something better IMO. Within a month I had attended 3 convention and had over connected with 30+ new clients. Convention goers, my subjects, saw the difference and immediately responded.

If you're not honest with yourself about the quality of your own work and motives, or care to improve... stick with snapshots and have fun.

Snap shots...

Photographs...

Upvote 0
The first 2 photos are to me, not great. But not because they are candid! They are just not great photos. The first seems way over processed. And eating could be interesting, but not in that photo. The second would be much more interesting cropped much closer. Both photos have a distracting element in the left bottom that could be eliminated with additional zoom, or post processing cropping.

Some good candid photos mixed in with the posed photos would really add to set. They would tell more of the story.

Upvote 0
Who can resist posting when Surapon wants feedback?! :D

There have been some excellent responses to Surapon's question.

I break it down like this. Two sides = Photographer and Subject. Photographer has a job, goal, desire, mission or is just having fun. Subject has a role, image, vanity, shyness and/or loves or hates having their picture taken. Both sides have their respective rights and feelings and as such deserve respect and consideration.

The way the photographer/subject interact and relate depends on the setting and situation. I won't go into the myriad situations and settings, I'll just say that both the photographer and the subject(s) need courage to participate. The photographer doesn't (shouldn't) want to offend or intrude and the subject doesn't want to be objectified or abused by the invasion of space or the improper use of the images.

In most public settings and venues, especially large events that are highly visual like the one Surapon attended, I feel the least awkward and have the most fun as a photographer. Most subjects expect, assume and understand that there will be a lot of photos taken. If someone objects, I just apologize or try to put them at ease with some smalltalk. Maybe I share my contact info and/or offer to help them get copies of the images for their own use. If they insist I refrain from taking their picture, I avoid them like the plague and delete their images. It's not my desire to upset anyone or draw negative attention to my actions in public.

I rarely keep/use/share images that are not complimentary to someone. I shoot a lot but I try to only share the best shots. It's my hope that someone will see their picture and smile, not feel embarrassed. I keep this in mind when I shoot. If I wouldn't want that picture of myself, my wife or my kids then someone else probably wouldn't either.

Specific to the images mentioned above, images of people eating are fine if they are complimentary. Often they just simply aren't. The second image is just an activity. It's not unflattering, it just is what it is.

I tried not to simply repeat what others have already offered and others have provided great advice/points. Surapon is such a gentle soul, I don't think he could upset anyone. And as such, I think the 'treat others as you would like to be treated' advice is a good rule to follow and I am sure Surapon does this better than most already.

Great pics by the way, I bet you guys had a LOT of fun at that event!! Lots of color and variety.

Upvote 0