Big Refurb Sale! EOS R5 $2399, EOS R5 C $3199 and lots more!

Jul 21, 2010
Point is, one can't assume their sphere of acquaintances represents the majority of users.
Interesting that all major ILC manufacturers offer pre-capture. Even the 'always ahead of the curve' Sony finally added it, with the a9III. Plenty of people seem to think they know better than Canon what the market wants, I guess @tbgtomcom thinks he knows better than all of the manufacturers what features people want. Now that's some serious hubris.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
R6II has newer, better AF system,
Smaller files desirable for some,
No need to buy more expensive CFExpress cards and possibly a card reader,
R6II has focus stacking
R6II has pre-capture.
The R5 has focus stacking as well, it just doesn't give you a JPEG at the end like the R7/R6II/R8 can be configured to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Interesting that all major ILC manufacturers offer pre-capture. Even the 'always ahead of the curve' Sony finally added it, with the a9III. Plenty of people seem to think they know better than Canon what the market wants, I guess @tbgtomcom thinks he knows better than all of the manufacturers what features people want. Now that's some serious hubris.
Let me guess, you're also a big fan of the IBIS high resolution shooting mode in the R5. Another gimmick. All these features are fluff. I honestly don't care who uses them, and if you enjoy pre-capture, focus stacking, or high resolution shooting... knock yourself out. And in your case, many times.

Upvote 0
The R5 has focus stacking as well, it just doesn't give you a JPEG at the end like the R7/R6II/R8 can be configured to do.
Yes, I've used it in both my R5 and R7. Maybe all of twice in each camera, and each time just to see how it works. No practical purpose for my shooting needs.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Let me guess, you're also a big fan of the IBIS high resolution shooting mode in the R5. Another gimmick. All these features are fluff. I honestly don't care who uses them, and if you enjoy pre-capture, focus stacking, or high resolution shooting... knock yourself out. And in your case, many times.
I honestly do not understand when people call things that other people use and they don't gimmicks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gim·mick - trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business

Camera users have shot without these fancy gimmicks for decades.
Yeah, I was shooting with a Pentax SLR when autofocus was the latest gimmick. We could manually focus just fine, no one needed that expensive, prone-to-failure AF when the split prism and a focus ring worked perfectly well.

At least there was no internet at the time, so I couldn't make myself look like an ass by posting the above online.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, and you fit the bill more times than not. Most certainly, hands down, you are the rudest and least personable of any other poster. It's no wonder that so many people have muted you. I just laugh at you, most times, and pity you other times.
Sure, sure. I'm not the one making claims unsupported by evidence. I'm not the one posting example images that fail to make the point I thought I was making, then deleting them from embarrassment.

Anyway, here's one more for you:

OneMore.png

With reasonable people, I have reasonable discussions. I reserve my scorn for those who demonstrate a failure to understand basic facts and logic, make asinine claims, and/or ignore reality. Apparently you know into which category you fit.

Upvote 0
Sure, sure. I'm not the one making claims unsupported by evidence. I'm not the one posting example images that fail to make the point I thought I was making, then deleting them from embarrassment.

Anyway, here's one more for you:

View attachment 215591

With reasonable people, I have reasonable discussions. I reserve my scorn for those who demonstrate a failure to understand basic facts and logic, make asinine claims, and/or ignore reality. Apparently you know into which category you fit.
Claims? I'm giving my OPINION. Why would I need to back up a claim on an opinion? You claim to be so smart, maybe try using that grey matter a little bit.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Claims? I'm giving my OPINION. Why would I need to back up a claim on an opinion?

Claim:
Focus stacking and pre-capture are gimmicks that not many people actually use.

Your idea of evidence when your claim was challenged:
I go on a wildlife excursion with a large group of photographers to various locations around the country once a year... not one of them uses pre-capture.

The reality is that you have no evidence that 'not many people actually use' pre-capture. The fact is that pre-capture has available for years and manufacturers have progressively added the feature to their lineups and then to more cameras. I don't know who was the first to introduce it (the Nikon 1 could do it, back in 2011), but Olympus started using it on their m4/3 cameras in 2016, then Panasonic and Fuji, Canon put it on the M6II in 2019 then on several recent R-series bodies, Nikon added it to the Z9 with a firmware update two years ago then to other cameras, and Sony just started implementing it with the a9III. To me, when a growing number of manufacturers include a feature in a growing number of cameras, that suggests the feature is desired by users.

There is a difference between an anecdote and a logical deduction based on observable facts, and that difference exists whether you understand and appreciate it or not.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Opinion - a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge
Yes, move those goalposts.

"This is how it is."
—"Can you support that with actual evidence?"
"I was only stating my opinion."

Sure, sure. It might be your opinion that the earth is flat, or that the moon is made of green cheese. But you will look foolish for stating those opinions.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
That's an insane steal. Hell, I'd have bought a third at that price just to have around as a spare.
On a positive note, I did manage to snag a RF 85mm 1.2 for $1400, EF 70-200 2.8 is iii for $950 and Peak Design carbon fiber tripod for $320. Christmas came waaay early!

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I go on a wildlife excursion with a large group of photographers to various locations around the country once a year... not one of them uses pre-capture.
And your point is....that your group of photographers don't take advantage of a very useful, if perhaps limited use, feature?

Try getting a shot of an eagle or other bird, taking off from its perch. Apparently none of your group of photographers will get that shot unless very lucky.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I can't say I agree with this. I have both of these cameras, and I don't see any huge autofocus advantages with the R62 over the R5. Sure, the files are smaller, but you can't crop as much if you need to. CFExpress cards are coming down in price. Focus stacking and pre-capture are gimmicks that not many people actually use.
I gave you facts. The R6II AF system is newer, but yes, "better' is subjective.
The files sizes are smaller, which some folks prefer - fact.
CFExpress cards are more expensive than SD cards - fact.
Focus stacking is in the R6II and not the R5 - fact. That some people use it is all that matters in regards to the question you asked..
Pre-Capture is in the R6II and not the R5 - fact. That some people use it is all that matters in regards to the question you asked.

Does the R5 have some advantages? Of course. Will some, if not many, prefer the R5. Of course. You asked a simple question. "Why is anyone buying an R62 over the R5 at this price?" I gave you numerous factual reasons why.

Upvote 0