BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
AlanF said:
Jack wanted BIF taken with the 400mm DO II plus 2xTC III on the 5D IV. Yesterday, I stopped the car on a country road, set up for 800mm to take a photo of a bird on a pole, when I suddenly saw this female kestrel hover nearby. I took some shots but the lighting was poor. I had to push ev in post and lighten shadows quite a bit. The AF was good.
I love these shots, it’s very interesting the variations within Kestrels, where were these shots taken Alan?
I’m in the UAE but originally from the UK, so there are small differences between the species I see, this is another variation again!! Great shots mate :)

Upvote 0
Good pictures

They are some of my latest works (7d mark II + 100-400 II)

Attachments

• boyerito_MG_3201.jpg
    boyerito_MG_3201.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 110
  • brasita-macho-en-alta_MG_3772.jpg
    brasita-macho-en-alta_MG_3772.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 114
  • peregrino-hembra-2016_MG_6073.jpg
    peregrino-hembra-2016_MG_6073.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 141
  • peregrino-macho_MG_4914.jpg
    peregrino-macho_MG_4914.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 117
  • peregrino-macho-2016_MG_6226.jpg
    peregrino-macho-2016_MG_6226.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Stewart K said:
AlanF said:
Jack wanted BIF taken with the 400mm DO II plus 2xTC III on the 5D IV. Yesterday, I stopped the car on a country road, set up for 800mm to take a photo of a bird on a pole, when I suddenly saw this female kestrel hover nearby. I took some shots but the lighting was poor. I had to push ev in post and lighten shadows quite a bit. The AF was good.
I love these shots, it’s very interesting the variations within Kestrels, where were these shots taken Alan?
I’m in the UAE but originally from the UK, so there are small differences between the species I see, this is another variation again!! Great shots mate :)

Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire. She was by the road leading to the RSPB reserve.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been very impressed with the AF of the 5D IV. Walking back home over a bridge this evening, I took some shots of gulls flying over the river. The camera locked on and picked out the bird from the background. This shot used the f/4 of the 400mm DO II to give a nicely blurred background (uncropped but reduced in size).

Attachments

• 2B4A2828_flyinggull_over_cam_reduced.JPG
    2B4A2828_flyinggull_over_cam_reduced.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
I have been very impressed with the AF of the 5D IV. Walking back home over a bridge this evening, I took some shots of gulls flying over the river. The camera locked on and picked out the bird from the background. This shot used the f/4 of the 400mm DO II to give a nicely blurred background (uncropped but reduced in size).

Alan, it's working out really well for you and that includes BIF capability you likely didn't have before. While I envy your resolution, I'm now in the other camp. Maybe my wife should get a 5D4. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
AlanF said:
Stewart K said:
AlanF said:

Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire. She was by the road leading to the RSPB reserve.
Ahh! I was wondering about the location of the bird as you referred to it as a female, this is a male UK Kestrel Alan. Here’s a good link to identifying the species. http://www.worldbirds.co.uk/common_kestrel.aspx?key=38
The slate grey/bluish head and tail gives it away, I wasn't sure on the location of your shot as there really are some spectacular variations globally.

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Valvebounce said:
Hi Cog.
Brilliant shots, but I'm confused by your title, "hunting" season, is that literal or "camera" hunting, why would one shoot these with other than a camera? Because you can?

Cheers, Graham.

Cog said:
The "hunting" season is open.

Camera hunting. :) Sorry about this confusion. I guess that's my first language talking. I've never shot a rifle, actually. So hunting is always with a camera for me. I opened the season because the temperature is finally low enough to stay in the sun.

Upvote 0