BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

rpt said:
Click said:
Awesome. Great shot, Grant.
+1

Fantastic shot!
Thanks Click and RPT
I usually get to spend time photographing carmines each season, especially when they are breeding, and it is always difficult due to their speed and somewhat erratic flight path. I typically prefer images of them set against the green or yellow vegetation as opposed to the sky which is easier to get. The light weight of the 400DO makes it easier to track than any other lenses i have used for them, and this is technically one of the best images i have managed. The image is cropped from 18 megapixels to 11 megapixels.

Upvote 0
Today was the first day of sunshine in a while and there were a lot birds out. This Northern Harrier was one of many. The wind was very strong today, so one second the Northern Harrier would fill the frame, the next he was 100ft further away. Unfortunately the wind was going towards the sun which left the birds fighting the wind with their backs to the camera.

1dx, Sigma 150-600C
ISO 2500, 1/2000, f9

Attachments

• 1DX_2327-2.jpg
    1DX_2327-2.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
ISO64 said:
Ryananthony, great shot! Northern harriers, as any other raptor, hunt flying into the wind. Gives them lower ground speed and grass bends into their line of vision. I remember seeing kestrel standing motionless over the ground for well over a minute, next to airport runway, just showing of for metal bird pilots :p

Thanks ISO64. Thats really neat about the grass bending into the line of sight of the raptors. I would have never guessed that was a thing.

Upvote 0