BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
serendipidy said:
Mykel said:
Thank-you Click for you kind words
Fabulous captures of the Rainbow Bee-eater!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your camera/lens and settings? I'm trying to learn to get better BIF photos. :)

You want better than the shots you're getting? Makes me feel rather hopeless! ;)

Great Rainbow Bee-eater!

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Serendipidy.
You want better than this? I would think so, this is such a terrible shot you should be ashamed to post it! :eek: ::) ;D ;D ;D (sarcasm off)
I'm guessing this is one 'keeper' of a set of not so good 'deleters' that you got, that seems to be a 'feature' of this body from what I have read and personal experience.
Very nice shots, perhaps you could share AF settings and help all of us struggling to get half this good! Are you using a support, tripod or monopod?

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Juvenile BCN Heron...7D II and 100-400L II

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Serendipidy.
You want better than this? I would think so, this is such a terrible shot you should be ashamed to post it! :eek: ::) ;D ;D ;D (sarcasm off)
I'm guessing this is one 'keeper' of a set of not so good 'deleters' that you got, that seems to be a 'feature' of this body from what I have read and personal experience.
Very nice shots, perhaps you could share AF settings and help all of us struggling to get half this good! Are you using a support, tripod or monopod?

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Hi Graham,
Yes, you are correct. This is perhaps my best keeper of hundreds of deleted shots. I wish to improve my skills so that I can get more keepers like this more consistently.
If you click on the image, it takes you to the photo on Flickr where all the EXIF data can be viewed. This was done with my new 7D2 (which does seems to give me many less keepers than my old 7D) and new 100-400L II. The Exif data shows manual mode (I programmed the C3 mode dial for these settings) with f/6.3, 1/1250 shutter, Auto ISO (was 200 for this shot), EC +1/3, 9 point expansion focus at 248mm, AI Servo, evaluative metering and auto white balance and high speed continuos motor drive. Processed in DPP. All my bird shots are handheld and I try to remember to put the lens in IS mode 2 (for panning) but I often forget.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Eric

Upvote 0
hbr said:
serendipidy said:
Juvenile BCN Heron BIF by Eric Johnson, on Flickr

Eric, I believe you are getting the hang of the 7D II focus system. :)

Lovely shot!
Thanks hbr. I am getting more used to it as I experiment and practice, but this shot had a lot of luck too. ;D

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
serendipidy said:
Juvenile BCN Heron BIF by Eric Johnson, on Flickr
Bloody hell!
I envy both the amount of Black-crowned night herons you have near you, and what you are able to do with them. This particular shot is all kinds of awesome.
Thank you DominoDude :)
There are 2 adults and one juvenile that regularly hang out around here. I trade them fish for their modeling fee ;D
It's frequently very overcast here and then the ISO is way too high for a decent photo, so I have to wait for a sunny period to shoot. The problem is to get them to fly so I often have to run back and forth along the canal to entice them to change fishing spots.
But the biggest problem now is a marauding thieving criminal gang of fearless and lightening fast mallard ducks (usually 10-20 in number) that steal all the bread bait I cast in front of the heron and therefore the herons don't catch many fish when the ducks are around.
Sometimes, it feels like a chore to go out and try to get them some fish and so, somedays, they wait for me for hours and I just ignore them and then I feel a little guilty.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Eric.
Thanks, and happy new year to you too.
I did look at it on Flickr, but didn't find the AF settings, (probably lost in the deluge of info that they do give!) I did see that you use DPP, I found it less than intuitive but might have to give it another try based on the results I see from you guys that use it!

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Serendipidy.

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Hi Graham,
Yes, you are correct. This is perhaps my best keeper of hundreds of deleted shots. I wish to improve my skills so that I can get more keepers like this more consistently.
If you click on the image, it takes you to the photo on Flickr where all the EXIF data can be viewed. This was done with my new 7D2 (which does seems to give me many less keepers than my old 7D) and new 100-400L II. The Exif data shows manual mode (I programmed the C3 mode dial for these settings) with f/6.3, 1/1250 shutter, Auto ISO (was 200 for this shot), EC +1/3, 9 point expansion focus at 248mm, AI Servo, evaluative metering and auto white balance and high speed continuos motor drive. Processed in DPP. All my bird shots are handheld and I try to remember to put the lens in IS mode 2 (for panning) but I often forget.

Eric

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Eric.
Thanks, and happy new year to you too.
I did look at it on Flickr, but didn't find the AF settings, (probably lost in the deluge of info that they do give!) I did see that you use DPP, I found it less than intuitive but might have to give it another try based on the results I see from you guys that use it!

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Serendipidy.

Cheers, Graham.

serendipidy said:
Hi Graham,

Eric
Yes, I think you're right about the Exif not showing all the settings such as AF settings, etc. I started using DPP with my first Canon digital camera since it was free. I have never used anything else, but signed up for the Adobe CC Photography plan 11 months ago. I don't really know how to use it yet and have only tried it once to process maybe 20 photos. I think that is what most photogs use with great results so I need to start using it.
Eric

Upvote 0