BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
My very first photos of owls in flight, taken yesterday. These short-eared owls were more than a 100 metres away, flying fast and low against a background. What is remarkable is not the quality but the ability of the 5D IV and a 400mm DO II + 2xTC to pick up and track these tiny dots at the centre. I set speed to 1/1600 s, aperture f/8 and auto iso in manual. The images are very small, occupying only a couple of hundred pixels by a couple of hundred out of the 30 megapixels. Remarkably, one of them is from the very left edge, showing how good the prime with TC is at the extreme. The only processing is DxO prime followed by USM at 0.9 px and 100%.

Very nice series, Alan. I especially like the 3rd picture.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Mikehit said:
Cormorants are not just black, but round here their bodies have a muted iridescance of reds and greens and I have been trying to not only capture them in flight but also show off these colours. These are the best so far...

7D2, 400DOii+1.4ii. Cropped by about 30%

Very nice pictures. Well done, Mike.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
My very first photos of owls in flight, taken yesterday. These short-eared owls were more than a 100 metres away, flying fast and low against a background. What is remarkable is not the quality but the ability of the 5D IV and a 400mm DO II + 2xTC to pick up and track these tiny dots at the centre. I set speed to 1/1600 s, aperture f/8 and auto iso in manual. The images are very small, occupying only a couple of hundred pixels by a couple of hundred out of the 30 megapixels. Remarkably, one of them is from the very left edge, showing how good the prime with TC is at the extreme. The only processing is DxO prime followed by USM at 0.9 px and 100%.
Nice series Alan. Good results in a difficult environment.

Upvote 0