BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
altenae said:
Some BIF from me.
Click on image for larger and sharper image !!

Hope you like them.

Edward van Altena
www.wildlife-photos.net
The Netherlands

These are bloody marvellous!! And I haven't even peeped at the full sized versions yet. (Must fetch my bib first - there will be drooling.)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Reiep said:
European or african swallow?
Geordi: "Damn, he's good."
And so is this catch. Congrats.
The white/bright line comming from the edge of the pool is a little bit distracting, but... man...
I'd give a lot for having my gear ready for action in such a moment.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
altenae said:
Some BIF from me.
Hope you like them.
Edward, you must be joking.
These pics are wonderful.
Especially the two swallow pics and the wagtail.
I couldn’t imagine capturing those tiny fast birds that way. (and for sure it would take me months to learn)
Thanks you for this inspiration.

Upvote 0
Reiep said:

European or african swallow? by Pierre Pichot Photography, on Flickr, 500px or my portfolio
Amazing shot!!
Can't resist based on your title (Monty Python - The Holy Grail):
S #1: Where'd you get the coconuts?
A : We found them.
S #1: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
A : What do you mean?
S #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
A : The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
S #1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
A : Not at all. They could be carried.
S #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
A: It could grip it by the husk!
S #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
A: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
S #1: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
A: Please!
S #1: Am I right?
A: I'm not interested!
S #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
S #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.
S #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.
A: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
S #1: But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory.
S #2: Oh, yeah...
S #1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
altenae said:
Some BIF from me.

Hope you like them.

Edward
Edward, those shots are all amazing! I took a look at your website as well and you have some excellent work there as well. Thank you for posting.
+1 and thank you for posting the EXIF data on your site. When I get home and have more time to look I most certainly will be studying these more intensely. AMAZING!

Upvote 0
altenae said:
Some BIF from me.
Click on image for larger and sharper image !!

Hope you like them.

Edward van Altena
www.wildlife-photos.net
The Netherlands

FANTASTIC! That is some superb stuff! I wish I could capture birds in flight like that...I've tried to photograph swallows, but never had any luck. They are wicked fast!

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I know your pain, jrista. I've tried a number of Swallows and Swifts, and they are darn near impossible to get decent BIFs of, even when you can predict much of their appearance. It boils down to loads of luck and patience, even when one have done thorough preparations. So knowing how hard they are to shoot, makes altenae's photos even more impressive.

The only thing I consider worse than flying Swallows would be Dragonflies - they definitely seem to change every vector and parameter that guides their flying behaviour a few hundred times per second. When Canon can manufacture an AF-module that properly can predict and follow a Dragonfly, then I'll be the first one to place an order.

Upvote 0