BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Another red kite in Wales (UK).

RodeZwouw_1DX012289.jpg

Mario

Upvote 0
fragilesi said:
Nice shot andersde!

I was just saying in another thread that the 100L was pretty good for action shots. Think this backs that up nicely as ducks aren't exactly the easiest of birds to capture in flight.

Thanks. The 6d's only a recently addition for me but I've been pleasantly surprised how many keepers I'm getting with it and the 100mm L for 'action' shots. For this one I got lucky on the timing, was just on a bridge over a lake as a number of these ducks just took off straight over our heads. Shot a burst and almost every shot in the burst was reasonably focused.

Upvote 0
Prairie Falcon liftoff. Photographing these birds in the wild is a huge challenge because they can see you coming from a long distance and they're extremely quick to fly. I got lucky with this one and my guess is that it had a lot to do with the fact that this is a juvenile bird. Juveniles of all species tend to be a good deal more trusting around humans than are adults.

5Diii, 400 DO, ISO 500, aperture preferred setting +1 2/3 stops, f6.3 @ 1/2000

Attachments

• _N4B8524 copy.jpg
    _N4B8524 copy.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Prairie Falcon. I find these birds almost impossible to photograph. They have superb vision and they are sensitive to the slightest movement, so they can see you coming from a long way off. They are also extremely high energy birds who are quick to fly. Getting close to one requires supreme patience and a ton of good luck. I got lucky with this bird. Or, perhaps, it was a bit more tolerant of humans because it is a juvenile and naive. Whatever, I'm pleased that I got this shot.

5Diii, 400 DO, ISO 500, aperture preferred setting, f6.3 @ 1/2000, exposure compensation 1 2/3 stops.

Attachments

• _N4B8524 copy.jpg
    _N4B8524 copy.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com
steven kessel said:
Prairie Falcon. I find these birds almost impossible to photograph. They have superb vision and they are sensitive to the slightest movement, so they can see you coming from a long way off. They are also extremely high energy birds who are quick to fly. Getting close to one requires supreme patience and a ton of good luck. I got lucky with this bird. Or, perhaps, it was a bit more tolerant of humans because it is a juvenile and naive. Whatever, I'm pleased that I got this shot.

5Diii, 400 DO, ISO 500, aperture preferred setting, f6.3 @ 1/2000, exposure compensation 1 2/3 stops.
Congrats, great capture

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
The IQ’s not perfect on this one, and it’s a very heavy crop, but this was circling above me with its mate last weekend here in Dubai, it’s a Steppe Buzzard on its winter migration, so it’ll only be here for another few weeks at most.
70D, 100-400L, f7.1, 1/640 sec, ISO 320

Attachments

• IMG_6994.JPG
    IMG_6994.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 0