BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Vern.
Lovely series of shots. With regards to the IS, I have seen people here say they turn it off at high shutter speeds while others say it helps steady the viewfinder image while you frame the shot and stabilise your panning speed. Perhaps you can try it out and tell us! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Vern said:
Sandwich Tern Series.
1DX I, 100-400 II @400 mm, ISO 1600, f8, 1/2000.

Was lucky to have a day w/o salt spray so I could stand in the surf to shoot these. Played around w auto focus setting and settled on 5 and the IS set to mode 3. I'm not sure the IS is really helpful at this shutter speed - would appreciate comments on this.

Upvote 0
One of the local Osprey bringing a fish back to the nest for the recent fledglings. Though the fledglings are out and about for about two weeks now, they are still learning the ropes.
SDR3004-X3.jpg

1DX MK II : 600 II w/1.4X III : 1/3200 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ERHP said:
One of the local Osprey bringing a fish back to the nest for the recent fledglings. Though the fledglings are out and about for about two weeks now, they are still learning the ropes.
SDR3004-X3.jpg

1DX MK II : 600 II w/1.4X III : 1/3200 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Very nice. Wonder if one could be trained to bring me the fish?

Jack

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Here are few sample images of a wild prairie falcon attacking the cameraman (me). Very pleased with the focussing on the new 1DX MKII and improved keeper rate it provides. lens was 400mm f2.1 IS MKII hand held of course.

Attachments

• 1DX20333.jpg
    1DX20333.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1DX22018.jpg
    1DX22018.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 1DX26271.jpg
    1DX26271.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 1DX25851.jpg
    1DX25851.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
A great sequence, falcnr

falcnr, very nice. Were you near a nest? As a young and foolish preteen I once climbed a tree to a Redtail nest(egg collecting). Reflecting back I now realize I was lucky not to have received some nasty gashes.

I'm more or less certain that I'll have the camera by this fall (could have had one 2 days ago but I bumped myself to the back of the list, again). Never the less, I'm still reading every review/commentary with great interest. It would seem that the AF is simply the best with the exception perhaps of eye recognition/focus. Most rate AF as amazing.

It's a bit of extra effort but it would be quite helpful if you could indicate roughly the degree of cropping (or include uncropped), F stop, and shutter speed along with the lens, in this case 400.

I know I'm expecting a lot for free. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:
A great sequence, falcnr

falcnr, very nice. Were you near a nest? As a young and foolish preteen I once climbed a tree to a Redtail nest(egg collecting). Reflecting back I now realize I was lucky not to have received some nasty gashes.

I'm more or less certain that I'll have the camera by this fall (could have had one 2 days ago but I bumped myself to the back of the list, again). Never the less, I'm still reading every review/commentary with great interest. It would seem that the AF is simply the best with the exception perhaps of eye recognition/focus. Most rate AF as amazing.

It's a bit of extra effort but it would be quite helpful if you could indicate roughly the degree of cropping (or include uncropped), F stop, and shutter speed along with the lens, in this case 400.

I know I'm expecting a lot for free. ;)

Jack

HI Jack,

yes were at a few nest sites and banding the chicks and recording DATA.

RE the cropping, it is relatively minimal as the falcon is truly trying to hit my head and just as it gets real close i duck behind the lens. In fact I usually get off a sequence of images and the last one or two are often soft focus because it gets within the minimum focus distance just before i duck!

As for these particular images I was trying out auto ISO for the first time and set aperture between f5 and at times to f6.3. The shutter speed maxed at 1/8000th which was overkill and frankly I have not gotten used to shooting auto ISO as I prefer to shoot manual or sometimes aperture priority if all is predictable.

The keeper rate of the DX2 is better than its predecessor (auto focus) but not in itself a reason to upgrade, as too frame rate. I was more drawn to other reasons not least the fact focus at f8 (using TC's on 800mm for LBJ's) is more than centre focus now and the coast technology. Wished it was more than 2 megapixels more and they'd not increased frame rate. Who knows i might even use the 4K video. ::) Love the camera though and its only money. ;D

Upvote 0