BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Wiebe, I loved the 1D4 and would not have replaced it except that the higher ISO shots were not great if cropped. ISO 640 was fine, 800 not bad but above that I was comparing to the 6D and it wasn't good. Bought used and sold without loss as a stop gap while waiting for the 1DX2.

Now, if I can just get back to Haida Gwaii in the near future to get better shots!

One more.

Jack

Attachments

• Bald eagle_s_18168.JPG
    Bald eagle_s_18168.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
Great eagle shots Jack !
I am still stuck with the 1D4 for now and you are right about the noise past 800iso. I can get usable shots up to iso 3200 if i expose way to the right but it takes a considerable amount of post processing to clean them up. On day i will be able to upgrade but untill then I will just hope for good light lol
this is from a couple of weeks ago, in good light ;D
1D4 400f5.6L
1/2500 , f5.6 , iso 320
_D4_3495 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
guys, no need for complements, but thanks as always. I'll post a few more of the better ones. I had shot so few BIF before this that I certainly missed out on many opportunities but still came home happy with good shots becoming more numerous on my last day at the bay. The eagles in the 1DX thread had gotten me all fired up and was responsible for my choice of destination. :)

BTW, it was very difficult in the bright H G sun to get both shadows and whites and I have quite few cases of blown highlights. :(

Stuart I'd gladly trade.

Jack

Attachments

• Bald eagle_s_18250.JPG
    Bald eagle_s_18250.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
He's posing for you, Jack!
Well shot!
-r

Jack Douglas said:
guys, no need for complements, but thanks as always. I'll post a few more of the better ones. I had shot so few BIF before this that I certainly missed out on many opportunities but still came home happy with good shots becoming more numerous on my last day at the bay. The eagles in the 1DX thread had gotten me all fired up and was responsible for my choice of destination. :)

BTW, it was very difficult in the bright H G sun to get both shadows and whites and I have quite few cases of blown highlights. :(

Stuart I'd gladly trade.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Riley, one came swooping over my head not more than a few of feet above, I could feel the air. This wouldn't normally happen but a pair of Haida were cleaning their salmon not many yards in front of me and the eagles wanted the heads that were tossed in the puddles since the tide was out.

One more.

Jack

Attachments

• Bald eagle_s_18297.JPG
    Bald eagle_s_18297.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
sedwards said:
Great eagle shots Jack !
I am still stuck with the 1D4 for now and you are right about the noise past 800iso. I can get usable shots up to iso 3200 if i expose way to the right but it takes a considerable amount of post processing to clean them up. On day i will be able to upgrade but untill then I will just hope for good light lol
1D4 400f5.6L
1/2500 , f5.6 , iso 320

Well, same praise to you Stuart - your snowy owl is beautiful (even with "only" a 1D4 ;)).
Perfectly exposed in those conditions, the owl perfectly sharp where it even seems to be turning in flight (looking in a different direction from its flight path...).
I love the beautiful functionality of Owls in general and yours is a very fine example.

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:

Stuart I'd gladly trade.

Jack

Hi Jack,
I think you will be hard pressed to improve your eagle shots in case you visit H G again (now w.1DX2). With the bright light conditions you may not have had the ISO issue, but all else is hard to beat in your 1D4 eagles.
Excellent set!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
sedwards said:
1D4 400f5.6L
1/2500 , f5.6 , iso 320

Beautiful bird. Excellent shot, Stuart.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. An eagle head and a shaded body makes for lots of DR, for sure. Frustrating and challenging, especially for a novice. I have lots more but none are any better so here is one last one where the lighting was better and the pose was good.

Jack

Attachments

• Bald eagle_s_18409.JPG
    Bald eagle_s_18409.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0