BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shot, RGB49.
d055.gif

Upvote 0
5Z8A1914_Common_Raven_2048.jpg

I want to learn how to take BIF photos. My current success rate is abysmal (with and without the 1.4X extender). Do any of you know of an Internet tutorial you would recommend, general or specific to the Canon 5D iv? Or, any advice in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

(Common Raven, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Colorado. Canon 5D iv, 100-400 L ii, 1.4x iii, at 560 mm; 1/2500, F10, ISO 2500; one decent shot out of many bad ones)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
Very nice, I have found the Corvids to be among the harder birds to get a good shot of, don’t know why, might be the focus systems don’t like black?
My advice, practice, practice, and then practice some more, seagulls are my current practice subject for BIF, large, common for me at least and quite random flight patterns interspersed with easy straight and level flight!
No idea on a tutorial.

Cheers, Graham.

I want to learn how to take BIF photos. My current success rate is abysmal (with and without the 1.4X extender). Do any of you know of an Internet tutorial you would recommend, general or specific to the Canon 5D iv? Or, any advice in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

(Common Raven, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Colorado. Canon 5D iv, 100-400 L ii, 1.4x iii, at 560 mm; 1/2500, F10, ISO 2500; one decent shot out of many bad ones)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
View attachment 185863

First peice of advice. One good shot out of many is the norm. Don't go around thinking that wildlife shooters have a high ratio of good shots. Second is practice. Learning your gear is only part of the deal. The bigger part is learning the wildlife. The more you know about wjat you are shooting, the better your shots will be. Feildcraft is everything. Example. Birds land INTO the wind most of the time. Get the sun and the wind at your back whenever possible. For othe wildlife you want the wind in your face so they don't smell you. Etc etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0