BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
In your experience the eye AF works better?

In a situation where the subject is far away FULL mode and eye-AF might only grab the head where CROP mode might allow eye-AF to grab the eye.

Having said that, I haven’t taken side by side pictures and compared the end result - I only know it looks larger in the viewfinder and helps be determine if the eye is in focus and I’m pleased with the result.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
One from me from the R5+100-400mm II+1.4xTC. A flying shoveller landing. I could hardly see the bird because we were in a hide and had to wear a facemask. My glasses were steamed up and all I could do was to point the camera at the bird and hope the eyeAF would take care of the rest, and it did.309A4319-DxO_shoveller_landing-isss.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
One from me from the R5+100-400mm II+1.4xTC. A flying shoveller landing. I could hardly see the bird because we were in a hide and had to wear a facemask. My glasses were steamed up and all I could do was to point the camera at the bird and hope the eyeAF would take care of the rest, and it did.View attachment 193820

You just described my experience of mask-wearing photography and I hate it. Most of my recent posts were taken at the little community marina down the street from the house. It’s a dinky and quiet place but I have to wear a mask and I HATE it. If I didn’t wear glasses it would be a bit better but BOY is it a PITA.

Nice clean one here Alan.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You just described my experience of mask-wearing photography and I hate it. Most of my recent posts were taken at the little community marina down the street from the house. It’s a dinky and quiet place but I have to wear a mask and I HATE it. If I didn’t wear glasses it would be a bit better but BOY is it a PITA.

Nice clean one here Alan.
Thanks Bob. It was the first sunny day for a week and it's lock down starting tomorrow. So the wetland reserve was crowded. Most of the birders are very considerate. But, in the last hide there was a group either not wearing masks or using one as a chin warmer, When one started coughing, we fled.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
A bird hide in one of the nature reserves was open today, subject to the English Covid restrictions. Sitting there with a surgical mask on, as required, and my glasses steamed up, a bird shot past high up, barely visible through the fog. Got a quick shot and on getting home discovered it was a juvenile Peregrine Falcon, a bird I very rarely see in flight. Here it is, upscaled 2x.

View attachment 192872
Head seems small for a Peregrine and the underpart streaks are not vertical. Something else, maybe?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
You are right, it's a hobby.
Hobby still has a vertical stripes. All Falcons are with sharp, relatively narrow wings.
The bird on the photo has broad wings. And eyes - they look like the eyes of the hawks. It's somewhat easy to make mistake here because of the position of the tail - at that angle it looks short, not as in the hawks. I would bet for young Sparrow Hawk but the neck is relatively long (as in the Goshawk).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hobby still has a vertical stripes. All Falcons are with sharp, relatively narrow wings.
The bird on the photo has broad wings. And eyes - they look like the eyes of the hawks. It's somewhat easy to make mistake here because of the position of the tail - at that angle it looks short, not as in the hawks. I would bet for young Sparrow Hawk but the neck is relatively long (as in the Goshawk).
Thanks Isv, you know your birds. It does indeed look like a Sparrowhawk. https://www.birdguides.com/articles/identification/march-id-tips-separating-small-raptors/

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0