Buy Canon 24-70l II today or wait for Newer version with IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
No, return the lens, skip the 24-70/2.8 IS, too. There'll be a 21-80mm f/2.8L IS a year after that...that's the one you want to wait for.

Seriously, making buying decisions based on rumors is a really bad idea. A new 100-400L has been 'coming in about a year'....every year for the past 5 years. If you need/want it now, get it now.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
davidgator said:
OK, OK, OK. I get the point about not waiting for a rumored lens. Let me ask a follow up question. Will IS offer a big benefit for photos on this lens in indoor situations for family portraits?

In practical terms, no; because in event photography, or gatherings, the bottleneck is always the subjects themselves moving...be it a vibrant party or a rock concert or active wedding guests in a dark venue... in these cases the subjects would have moved before your hands shaking.... IS in and of itself will not save the day here...but I suppose it never hurts to have IS...may be good for posed situations and portraits. But take into account the added weight and cost, I will take wider apertures and higher ISO any day over IS in these situations.

But I am told IS in the wider range primes recently introduced by Canon (24mm, 28mm,35mm) are partly targeted toward videographers....may be it helps but I don't know much about videos to comment.

Upvote 0
Waiting for something that will never happen. I am sure the smart Japanese guys at canon tried to make this work with IS but for what ever reason they couldn't. Either the price target was too high, or they couldn't do it and also shave the weight. My money is on the latter. But don't worry the world has a stabilized 24-70 2.8, it's a tamron and its a cracker! When, or better if, this rumored lens arrives it will be priced at $3000 or more.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

davidgator said:
Baed on the sale on the 24-70l II, I ordered this lens this morning. Tonight, I read the CR2 rumor of the IS version coming in 12 months or so. I do not plan on using the lens for video. Should I return the lens I bought today and wait for the IS version?
The rumor is some time in the next 18 months, not 12. And keep in mind that lenses sometimes get delayed even after they are announced (as the current 24-70 II was delayed).

As I wrote in the other thread, this is a bread and butter lens. I bought the current version and have already gotten a lot of use out of it. IS is nice to have, but I wouldn't wait a year or more for it.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
No, return the lens, skip the 24-70/2.8 IS, too. There'll be a 21-80mm f/2.8L IS a year after that...that's the one you want to wait for.

Well, I've heard that the 21-80mm will be the kit lens for the new FF mirrorless that will be released once the 0.2 μm copper sensor factory is up and running. You've got to love Canon. Get all the 5Dii people to upgrade to the 5Diii then a year later release a significantly improved sensor in a mirrorless body to encourage everyone to buy a second camera with an awesome kit lens. It's marketing genius.

But, it's probably all rumours. Best stick wth your current 24-70 for now.

Upvote 0
This is going to come off as rude, but I don't know how else to word it; the rumor stated within the next 18 months. If you can seriously put off a purchase for 18 months, then you don't NEED either of these lenses. Why don't you buy the extremely affordable 24-105L F4 IS lens? A year and a half is far too long for any professional or semi-professional to go without a normal lens. Sell it in a year or two at a minimal loss (Hey, you got to use it for 2 years, right?) and then make your decision. You may decide the cheaper 24-105 is all you actually need, especially if you are just a hobbyist. Like neuro said, it's silly to make purchasing decisions based on rumors, and even sillier when the rumor is 18 months away.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
davidgator said:
OK, OK, OK. I get the point about not waiting for a rumored lens. Let me ask a follow up question. Will IS offer a big benefit for photos on this lens in indoor situations for family portraits?

IS will help if you plan to shoot with shutter speed @ 1/10 or slower. In that case, you better pray your family doesn't make any moves.

Enjoy your new lens. You got great deal. I paid $2300 and I think it well worth it.

Upvote 0
I'd just go with the 24-70 II if you need it.

If it's not a necessity, feel free to wait for the IS version, however it will be a lot more expensive than the 24-70 II.

The 24-70 II is still a great lens. I use it currently on my 60D, but I'm excited to use it on my 5D 3 when it arrives (and use it to its full potential). You wouldn't really ever hate the 24-70 II. But when (if) the IS version comes out at the end of 2013/start of 2014, then there's always the option of selling the 24-70II (of course it wouldn't be worth as much, but it would still be worth a lot).

Upvote 0
If you can't live without IS, then I guess you've got to wait. Probably a fairly long time anyway.

Now, just think of how many billions good pictures have been taken using 24, 35, 50, 85 even 135 mm lenses without IS. I am no video-grapher so I fail to see the real interest of IS in a 24-70/2.8. For me, just nice to have but not really a buying criteria.

Upvote 0
Weight or the higher price for the IS version is only one side of the medal. The IS prototype don´t reach the image quality of the EF 24-70 f/2.8 II L lens. The difference is not very big, but you see it. Not sure if Canon make changes for the production version.

I recommend to use the EF 24-70 f/2.8 II L lens instead the IS version.

The EF 24-105 f/4.0 IS L lens is only good at f/8 up to f/11 (f/16) and needs an replacement. I am totally shocked if Canon introduce the 5D Mark III with the old EF 24-105 f/4.0 IS L lens. That´s really a shame.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.