C-Log Addition to Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Not Just a Firmware Update?

Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
video is huge, and will only get bigger, and companies such as Canon need to skate to where the puck WILL BE, not to where it is currently, and cultivate the next generation. Your skepticism belies a certain disdain for video shooters, so I don't think you realize how big video actually is on the market, and how much

apparently not big enough to even save a small camera division that hits it out the park for video.

So yeah, I probably have a better realization than you do.

which is to say.. not much.

and again, if someone is serious for video - why would they not choose a ILVC (interchangable lens video camera) versus a hacked ILC with stills ergonomics. especially why on earth would they choose a DSLR? regardless of video capability. that's just senseless.

so what you have yet to prove that there's this major market for hacked stills cameras to shoot video, especially DSLR's where you can't use the viewfinder.

If panasonic can't make a go of it in that market, then there's probably not much of a market.

Yeah, sorry, you just don't know what you're talking about- stick to the stills topics, my friend ;)

So you are one of those... Because I use a camera this way, everyone must want to....

Got it.

Otherwise I'll wait for this remarkable evidence of an pent up market dying to use dslrs for video currently.

Now. Not six years ago. Now.

They're called hybrid shooters, artists, multimedia producers, whatever you want to call them. Not acknowledging the huge explosion of video and the fact that people who take stills also want to take good video is obtuse.

actually no, you totally missed hte point. what is the POINT on a DSLR? not a mirrorless where you can the camera in a hybrid manner, but a 5D where you dont' have an articulating screen, no EVF viewfinder,etc - it's simply NOT the same as a hybrid camera.

So just where exactly is the pent up demand for this?

and if that rumor turns out to be false, will you go back to your corner and stop whining about video in a DSLR where it does not make sense?

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
video is huge, and will only get bigger, and companies such as Canon need to skate to where the puck WILL BE, not to where it is currently, and cultivate the next generation. Your skepticism belies a certain disdain for video shooters, so I don't think you realize how big video actually is on the market, and how much

apparently not big enough to even save a small camera division that hits it out the park for video.

So yeah, I probably have a better realization than you do.

which is to say.. not much.

and again, if someone is serious for video - why would they not choose a ILVC (interchangable lens video camera) versus a hacked ILC with stills ergonomics. especially why on earth would they choose a DSLR? regardless of video capability. that's just senseless.

so what you have yet to prove that there's this major market for hacked stills cameras to shoot video, especially DSLR's where you can't use the viewfinder.

If panasonic can't make a go of it in that market, then there's probably not much of a market.

Yeah, sorry, you just don't know what you're talking about- stick to the stills topics, my friend ;)

So you are one of those... Because I use a camera this way, everyone must want to....

Got it.

Otherwise I'll wait for this remarkable evidence of an pent up market dying to use dslrs for video currently.

Now. Not six years ago. Now.

They're called hybrid shooters, artists, multimedia producers, whatever you want to call them. Not acknowledging the huge explosion of video and the fact that people who take stills also want to take good video is obtuse.

actually no, you totally missed hte point. what is the POINT on a DSLR? not a mirrorless where you can the camera in a hybrid manner, but a 5D where you dont' have an articulating screen, no EVF viewfinder,etc - it's simply NOT the same as a hybrid camera.

So just where exactly is the pent up demand for this?

and if that rumor turns out to be false, will you go back to your corner and stop whining about video in a DSLR where it does not make sense?

Mirrorless does have an advantage on video, no doubt. BUT, if you take your opinion to the extreme, why include video at all? Why introduce HD into the 5DII? Why even have a live view mode for stills on a DSLR if mirrorless does that so much better? No, there are those of us who have shot professional video productions on Canon DSLRs, who prefer the ruggedness and feel of Canon products, who love the stills they produce, but who also want good video. It's not mutually exclusive. So we'll keep rattling on about it, and you'll just have to get on our side and convince Canon to offer these features if you want us to shut up :) Nice try, though.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well here's a previous post:

"The EOS 1DX Mark II had sure BETTER get the same firmware update!..... The 1DXii is much better suited to video than the 5Div, because it has the CFast slot, faster processing, better size for heat removal. It currently has the 60fps in 4K, and has far reduced rolling shutter effects.....

Actually, I think the rumored update above, for the 5Div might be a little ambitious... People should push for the 1DXii to get that stuff, because it can actually handle it.... "

So maybe this is a way of pushing Canon - starting rumors in Canon Rumors?? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Well here's a previous post:

"The EOS 1DX Mark II had sure BETTER get the same firmware update!..... The 1DXii is much better suited to video than the 5Div, because it has the CFast slot, faster processing, better size for heat removal. It currently has the 60fps in 4K, and has far reduced rolling shutter effects.....

Actually, I think the rumored update above, for the 5Div might be a little ambitious... People should push for the 1DXii to get that stuff, because it can actually handle it.... "

So maybe this is a way of pushing Canon - starting rumors in Canon Rumors?? ;)

Jack

Maybe ;) And well they should update it, since the 5DIV is getting the same treatment. Can't have their flagship lag behind in video. Who knows? Maybe they will announce an upgrade at CineGear**

**I have absolutely no knowledge of any such upgrade.

Upvote 0