Camera Cleaning Suggestions

I have had some dust specs on my sensor for quiet a while, and I'm tried of using clone/healing to correct the spots on nice blue skies. Any suggestions for who to send it to? What is your experience with turnaround time and price? I've been considering Canon, KEH, and Pro Camera Repair. I'd rather not do the cleaning myself, and would like to leave it in the hands of a professional and absolve myself of any liability. Let me know your experiences, and any places to use or to avoid. Also, I'm not a CPS member or anything, so whatever I go with will be at full price. I'd like to send it out this week and have it back the week before Christmas.

Jul 21, 2010
In think Canon charges ~$32 (plus return shipping unless you visit a service center). Honestly, cleaning a sensor is quite easy, and sending it off each time you need it means you'll be without your camera a lot, or putting up with dust.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

If you really want someone else to do it, check with local camera shops first - most of them will likely do it while you wait, or take a day at most, and no shipping charges.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kyle.
Do it yourself, it is not difficult as stated by Neuro.
Try a puffer brush, the one with the cap to make a jet of air, I use one of these, I have 2 sizes, one about 1 1/2 inches dia one about 2 inches dia bulb, a jet of air from either of these usually does the job, I do not use the brushes on the sensor, just the puff of air they generate, much safer than canned air.
More stubborn marks are attacked with visible dust wet swabs with vdust plus liquid, follow the clear instructions for quantity of liquid precisely! I think I have only needed to wet clean my 300D and 40D sensors once, the 7D just puffer for dust so far, the smaller puffer brush usually has enough puff but some times the higher volume and velocity from the bigger brush are needed, the smaller one is easier to see past whilst cleaning!
Avoid going in to the body with the puffer as they can wiggle when squeezed!
I did all of the above before finding the cleaning regime listed by Roger at lens rentals in the blog Neuro links to.
My kit works, I'm absolutely positive Roger's kit is better than mine for any and all eventuallities, would I change what I have?
No not for the oh so infrequent clean that I do, if I was cleaning many sensors everyday where someone could come back to me cursing and swearing about a spec of dust ruining his once in a lifetime photo op, hell yes I'd do it the Roger way! ::)

Cheers Graham.

Upvote 0