Can a Canon r5/r6 be bricked

I accidentally pressed a button during my firmware update for my canon r5 and it froze (or at least it seemed like it did). So then I slightly panicked and tried to power off, which didn't work. Ultimately since nothing happened I pulled the battery, and it seems to be fine. Is my Camera alright or should I be worried?

I pulled it right from the beginning and it did have a slow start. Overall, It seems like it is working fine after I tried updating again. Fortunately, it did not brick and it updated to the corrected firmware.

Is there something I should look out for if it is acting weird?

Or would restarting the whole camera be a viable option?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/reply?parent=66008002

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
can it be bricked? I think almost anything with firmware upgrades can depending on where in the cycle it gets interrupted. However good manufacturers have reduced the window/likelyhood if that occurring.

If you still get the menus, images etc and it was early as you indicated, it was likely still copying/loading and no harm done. likely you can even try again!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The firmware update takes a long time to get started, don't panic, it takes 2 minutes or so before you see the update bar start to move very slowly. It might take 10 or 15 minutes to complete, or it seems that way. If it's interrupted by pulling power, that is the worst possible thing since any measures in the camera to keep from messing up the firmware would be bypassed.

It sounds like you were very lucky. I'd go back and redo the firmware update just in case that something was left in the wrong state.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0