Canon 5D mkIV pixel count

How many sensor pixels would you accept in your new 5D mk4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rfdesigner said:
Pitbullo said:
My bet is 32mp for the 5dmk iv, since 32 is easily scalable with 4K resolution.

4k means 4096pixels wide, on a 1.5:1 w/h ratio that's 11.18Mpix. double that scale in each direction and you get 44.74Mpix

Rather close to the a7rII.
My thoughtnwas that 4K was approx. 8 mpx, multiplied by 4 = 32.
I didnt think of aspect ratio. Perhaps 42 is the count for 5D4 then :)

Upvote 0
I'd like 18MP. I prefer striking low light performance vs. outright resolution. How many of you are viewing and/or printing your files at 100%? 18MP even is extremely excessive. The A7S strikes a good balance but also has monster low light. My 6D already has superb low light but I wouldn't mind a bit of improvement. Low light shooting is fun.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
The 5Ds has answered the call for a megapixel monster thus paving the option for an 18mp iso/dr monster for the 5D4. Anyone with a 1DX knows that 18mp delivers files that are fantastic for most commercial requirements. A 5Ds in the bag will be useful for those occasions where huge res is called for. This is a great time...we're spoiled for choice.

If the 5D4 doesn't deliver a substantial gain in iso/dr then Sony's A7s and a Metabones adapter will be on plenty of Canon shooters shopping list. I'm hoping like crazy the 5D4 delivers the goods, as a third camera platform would be a bit unwieldy for me. (I already have switched to Panasonic GH4 for video work...+1!!)

-pw

Upvote 0
A friend of mine has just been 'brought' over to Canon from Nikon and is being considered as a potential tester for the 5DIV

There are multiple MP variants but the two my friend mentioned were 18mp and 24mp, with the former more a field experiment in gauging affect on AF speed, buffer management.

The 24mp seems to be the target though but 8fps seems to be out of the question.

PS, another interesting tidbit is that the 3D tracking in the Nikons are experiencing similar issues to what some 7Dii users have mentioned.

That's all I know.

P.S. if you doubt my credibility, I can totally understand. But do note that this is my first time I have ever been privvy to a pro on this guy's level and he is quite an accomplished tog

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Sabaki said:
That's all I know.
Thank you for sharing this inforamtion, Sabaki.

To me it is even more interesting to know about the sensor design.
Hopefully Canon is able to bring new developments into the design increasing its performance.

PS.: Maybe your friend could share a few impressions about equipment and support after been 'brought over' ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
My wishes: 18 to 24 MP, significantly improved DR and signal processing (significantly exceeding high ISO low light characteristics of 6D, which is my current FF camera), interchangeable focusing screens (I like superfine), 1DX level AF, at least 8 fps, 5 fps silent mode, rugged build, weight similar to or less than current 5D3. The sensor is the big thing. Focusing screens are a smaller issue, but why can Canon put user-swappable screen in 6D but not 5D series?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Pitbullo said:
rfdesigner said:
Pitbullo said:
My bet is 32mp for the 5dmk iv, since 32 is easily scalable with 4K resolution.

4k means 4096pixels wide, on a 1.5:1 w/h ratio that's 11.18Mpix. double that scale in each direction and you get 44.74Mpix

Rather close to the a7rII.
My thoughtnwas that 4K was approx. 8 mpx, multiplied by 4 = 32.
I didnt think of aspect ratio. Perhaps 42 is the count for 5D4 then :)
Yes, because obviously there is a need for a 42 and a 50 Mpixel camera...

Upvote 0