Canon announcements coming February 14, 2019? [CR2]

Keep in mind though that we already know of a Full Frame Mirrorless camera that was registered a while back and only has acerage resolution:

K433 // Canon EOS Rx

Mirrorless camera
Full frame
26mp
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth
2019 announcement

Quoted from https://www.canonrumors.com/breaking-down-the-latest-canon-gear-to-appear-for-certification/

In that rumor it was mentioned that CR guy thought there would be no camera below the R. But that obviously changed over the more recent posts.

Isn't Canon usually doing this tickle up game, where they test their core features on lower prices bodys and release proffessional one later? Dual Pixel AF (70D), Swivel Screens (T3i), Touchscreens (T4i), their entire mirrorless tech (M6, M5 M50...), all that is quoted as being good about the R comes from development of lower end bodies. Maybe they want to continue with that for a while until they can really justify putting it all in a true 5D or 1D type camera.

It does make sense that they'd test features on low end products, but I'm not sure it aligns with where they make their money. I had always understood that Canon makes most of their money on those low(er) end models so taking risks there wouldn't be a good idea. I suspect they're pretty sure a new feature will be functional even when it gets into a low end model, though maybe the experience with a lower end model results in fine tuning in higher end models. I've always felt that Canon's value proposition was centred on high-quality lenses and rock solid reliability, and I don't remember the last time they released something that didn't work as intended.

With that said, a low end R lines up perfectly with where Canon makes money. If they sell a lot more cheap cameras than expensive ones, then I'll bet the rumours are true and a cheap R is next. If it's cheap, it'll sell well.

Upvote 0

KenRockwell

1D X II / 5Ds R / 7D II / EOS R
Sep 5, 2018
Carlsbad, CA
kenrockwell.com
More likely 'RP' will stand for 'Professional', ie the mythic high MP EOS R - in which case, much more than $1,000. Not to say that there won't be a 'consumer' (RC?) version later in the year.

But, if it is high MP, the parallel RF lens releases would normally be aimed at the body - so some more L primes? Especially a wide angle?

Past times Canon has used “P” in their camera names, it has stood for “populaire”...

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film37.html

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film39.html

...or implied a more stripped-down model:

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film51.html

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
RP is the 6D mk3? 26MP 1/4000, but with more focus points. So will it have better lowlight performance than the 6D MK1? - oh and a free adapter would be nice.

I don't understand why the 6D mk2 was only 1/4000 with 98% viewfinder coverage, while the 80D has 1/8000th and 100% coverage (albeit a smaller area). Couple that with a worse AF spread as a proportion of the frame, and I'm not really a fan of the 6d mk2 (I think there's a few other things I just can't remember off the top of my head)

I love my 80D and I've often looked at the 6d mk2 as a possible upgrade/second camera, but Canon inexplicably cut some things down. I always end up thinking I'll more likely go to a 5d mk3 or mk4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I don't understand why the 6D mk2 was only 1/4000 with 98% viewfinder coverage, while the 80D has 1/8000th and 100% coverage (albeit a smaller area). Couple that with a worse AF spread as a proportion of the frame, and I'm not really a fan of the 6d mk2 (I think there's a few other things I just can't remember off the top of my head)

I love my 80D and I've often looked at the 6d mk2 as a possible upgrade/second camera, but Canon inexplicably cut some things down. I always end up thinking I'll more likely go to a 5d mk3 or mk4.
Harder to move a FF mirror that fast.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Canon have never indicated market tier with their designations; that has always been implicit.
As was recently mentioned in another thread and now this one, P has been previously used for lower cost models. That was a new one for me.

Additionally, they also indicate market for some lenses explicitly: Luxury.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

The smaller proportional AF spreads in the 6D II compared to the 80D is simply due to the 6D being FF. I believe the proportional spread of Canon's other FF DSLRs is also smaller than the 80D, so that one spec should not deter you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
It's almost like they're a for-profit company.

Yup, but if they had better market insight, they could have put these products out sooner and would not have to play catch-up now. That would have gained them more money in the past few years (i.e. all the FF sales Sony has made prior to EOS-R introduction). This goes for Nikon and their mirrorless as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Harder to move a FF mirror that fast.

The mirror doesn't need to move any faster at 1/8000 than at 1/4000, only the shutter does. I'm guessing the mirror is up for much longer than 1/4000 of a second (it only has to flip fast enough to achieve the FPS in continuous mode). Though, it is probably harder to move a FF shutter as fast as APS-C, so your point is still taken.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
RP is the 6D mk3? 26MP 1/4000, but with more focus points. So will it have better lowlight performance than the 6D MK1? - oh and a free adapter would be nice.
With the less complex shutter without a mirror it can probably hit 1/8000 without a problem with cheaper cameras.

There has been no tangible progresson in terms of low-light performance on the 6D line, the Mk2 is ever so slightly worse, but it is slightly more megapixels and has DPAF, so it is basically the same, with the Digic 8 the internal processing is different but it is essentially the same (but the low-light AF will improve)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The mirror doesn't need to move any faster at 1/8000 than at 1/4000, only the shutter does. I'm guessing the mirror is up for much longer than 1/4000 of a second (it only has to flip fast enough to achieve the FPS in continuous mode). Though, it is probably harder to move a FF shutter as fast as APS-C, so your point is still taken.
No the shutter curtains move at the same speed at anything over max sync speed, and generally the same speed across the entire exposure range. So at 1/160 -1/250 sec the curtains move at the same speed as 1/8000, and generally also 1 sec. Focal plane shutter curtain speed is generally constant.

Indeed you sync speed will give you a good indication of your shutter curtain travel speed, 24mm in sync speed.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Ahhh good clarification, thanks!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
No the shutter curtains move at the same speed at anything over max sync speed, and generally the same speed across the entire exposure range. So at 1/160 -1/250 sec the curtains move at the same speed as 1/8000, and generally also 1 sec. Focal plane shutter curtain speed is generally constant.

Indeed you sync speed will give you a good indication of your shutter curtain travel speed, 24mm in sync speed.

Today I learned something about shutters. As you say, higher than the sync speed the shutter curtain will move at the same speed, but at high speed it's only a slit between the two curtain blades that will open over the sensor. So 1/8000th just means a tighter tolerance between the curtains at 1/4000th.

Cool high-speed video of the action

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

so much in the same boat.. I like my 80D, but wanting full frame for a variety of reasons. I was disappointed in 6dmk2 for almost identical reasons you listed. Tempted by the R, but it feels like they rushed it and the performance for the price isn't tempting me enough. Either give me more options or lower the price, but at its current tier no dice for me. cautiously optimistic for some announcements coming (firmware on R maybe fixes performance a bit) or a new camera that gives features I care about at a price i'm willing to pay. So far... swing and miss... getting closer, but my patience wears thin. I suspect I'll be mildly disappointed again mid-feb.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Today I learned something about shutters. As you say, higher than the sync speed the shutter curtain will move at the same speed, but at high speed it's only a slit between the two curtain blades that will open over the sensor. So 1/8000th just means a tighter tolerance between the curtains at 1/4000th.

Cool high-speed video of the action
;)(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yup, but if they had better market insight, they could have put these products out sooner and would not have to play catch-up now.
There is no such thing as "market insight". The market by its nature is trial and error. Sometimes it is good to let someone else make these errors.

That would have gained them more money in the past few years (i.e. all the FF sales Sony has made prior to EOS-R introduction).
How much extra money would they need to spend on it, and how much would they get in return?

Upvote 0