Canon announcements coming in late September [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Please Canon

Your Landscape and Studio Market segment has been waiting 10 YEARS for an upgrade to the
High Megapixel 5DS / 5DSr Body

Please Bring out a 100 Megapixel Model :
R5s / RS

And a Couple RF Tilt Shift Lenses
So we don't have to switch over to
Fuji and Hassleblad

Canon will Sell Millions of these !!

Ten Years is too Long to Wait
Isn't the whole ILC market like 10 million units? I don't think an R5s would start making up 20% or more of the total market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Isn't the whole ILC market like 10 million units? I don't think an R5s would start making up 20% or more of the total market.
There were ~6 million ILCs shipped by all manufacturers last year. @landscaper is just inverting the usual 'if Canon doesn't do what I want they're d00med' to 'if Canon does what I want they'll be smashingly successful', but it's the same basic argument that 'my opinion represents the majority of the market' and as such, it's still bovine scat.

Upvote 0
Please Canon

Your Landscape and Studio Market segment has been waiting 10 YEARS for an upgrade to the
High Megapixel 5DS / 5DSr Body

Please Bring out a 100 Megapixel Model :
R5s / RS

And a Couple RF Tilt Shift Lenses
So we don't have to switch over to
Fuji and Hassleblad

Canon will Sell Millions of these !!

Ten Years is too Long to Wait
The GFX system is perfect for your desire, and Fuji is about to announce the GFX100II with a new 100MP sensor. Give it a look. Canon is obviously doing things at their own pace, carefully gaming their customer base to maximize purchases (i.e. by releasing bottom tier lenses and summit tier lenses before they release the mid tier), so they would likely prefer to sell you an R5II at 60MP before they have an R5S to sell you the following year or year after. What I've learned is that the RF system was finally right for my needs, but if there is something it doesn't have, I'm gonna be waiting a long time for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
that is a macro
as someone who bought the 85 f2 one day one, I can tell the autofocus in the streets is a dog,
a specialty lens is a specialty lens and not a street lens.
The autofocus of both the 24 f/1.8 Macro and 35 f/1.8 Macro is much better.
It may be because they are wide-angle lenses.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I had both 35 and 85, the 35 was fine albeit not perfect, the 85 on the other end was lousy, and really struggled against bright lights, which is something I often do, so after some weeks of real world testing I decided to resell it. But quality wise the picture were pretty amazing, nothing to say about that, optically the 85 is pretty good already.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I picked up the 28 pancake as a walk around lens to hold me over, reasonable pleased actually.

I do not want a 28 1.4, for christ sake Canon, we lived very with f2 primes for a bazillon years, we do not need everything in 1.2 or 1.4
F2 is a sweet spot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I picked up the 28 pancake as a walk around lens to hold me over, reasonable pleased actually.
I'm also quite pleased with the 28/2.8.

I do not want a 28 1.4, for christ sake Canon, we lived very with f2 primes for a bazillon years, we do not need everything in 1.2 or 1.4
F2 is a sweet spot.
Blasphemy! "Everyone" has said that "we all" need Canon to release f/1.4 primes. Or else "we all will switch to Sony". Or so I've read.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
I'm also quite pleased with the 28/2.8.

Blasphemy! "Everyone" has said that "we all" need Canon to release f/1.4 primes. Or else "we all will switch to Sony". Or so I've read.

:LOL::LOL:

I have had people say things like, why don't you get a real lens for that camera, because I use the 50 1.8 often.
I have tried the 50 1.2, great lens, but I am not carrying that thing 10/12 hours a day!

♂️

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
Agreed, I had both 35 and 85, the 35 was fine albeit not perfect, the 85 on the other end was lousy, and really struggled against bright lights, which is something I often do, so after some weeks of real world testing I decided to resell it. But quality wise the picture were pretty amazing, nothing to say about that, optically the 85 is pretty good already.
I feel the same way, optically it is a great lens, the second an alternative is out, this lens is gone due to autofocus and my non macro needs.
I forgot to pack my EF 85 1.8 to shoot 30 head shots a few weeks ago, the RF is always in the trunk safe, I shot with that but I had to soften all the images, way too sharp for "linked in style" head shots.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
:LOL::LOL:

I have had people say things like, why don't you get a real lens for that camera, because I use the 50 1.8 often.
Haven’t heard that. I did have one fun moment many years ago as a parent at an indoor gymnastics event. During the warmup, I took a couple of shots with the PowerShot in my pocket and the guy sitting next to me told me I’d never get good shots without a real camera…as he fired away using a Rebel/xxxD body with a 55-250/3.5-5.6 lens (and the popup flash firing for kids way too far away). Once the competition started, I reached down to the bag at my feet and pulled out my 1D X with 70-200/2.8 II.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
One great thing about these forums is that we have people like you who know exactly what everyone else needs and doesn’t need and who believe they are completely entitled to represent the viewpoints of others.

No, it’s not great at all. It just makes you look like an ass, for telling the guy who just asked for something that he doesn’t really need it.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
"Canon will be announcing new gear in late September if the latest report at The Camera Insider is accurate."

Well, here we are, end of Sptember, and no announcements. Especially not as far as (affordable) RF-S lenses are concerned.
Hence, the name "Canonrumors". Maybe the announcement in early to mid-October. I would also like to have an announcement on the R5 mk2 even if the availability is not until late Q1 / early Q2 2024. Must be patient.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I would say up to about €400 for a small prime, up to about €500 for a wide or mid-range zoom. As a non-professional-photographer, that's about all I would - or could - shell out.
I recommend looking for some used EF or EF-S lenses. I also recommend you check some reviews after you found something at a good price to see if it will be sharp enough for the current RF-S sensors.

Upvote 0